News   Oct 09, 2024
 112     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 782     0 

The New Toronto: More Potholes, Dirtier Streets And Longer Snow Removal Waits/List Of

I wonder how well the Liberals would have done with the economy had they scrapped the GST as promised. I'm guessing not too well at all, considering the huge amounts of revenue it generated for them year after year [15-17% of total Federal tax revenues]. Free Trade was also a huge boon for our economy, with trade between Canada and the US increasing significantly after it's implimentation. Both of these economic golden eggs were delivered to Canada courtesy of Mulroney and his PC's. I am definitely not buying into the idea that the Chretien and Martin team were somehow the saviours of Canada's economy.

As for underestimating the surpluses, everybody knows it's a political device that governments [including Harper's] use year after year. Frankly, Im quite surprised with this whole McGuinty/Martin lovefest going on in this thread.

I hate it when politicians try to come across as being more honourable or honest than the governments the're trying to replace... and then go and do the same dishonest sh*t when they're in power. Policy differences aside, I really don't see any difference between the Liberals, NDP and Conservatives when it comes to the smoke & mirror games they like to play when in power.

I wonder how well the Liberals would have done with the economy had they scrapped the GST as promised. I'm guessing not too well at all, considering the huge amounts of revenue it generated for them year after year [15-17% of total Federal tax revenues]. Free Trade was also a huge boon for our economy, with trade between Canada and the US increasing significantly after it's implimentation. Both of these economic golden eggs were delivered to Canada courtesy of Mulroney and his PC's. I am definitely not buying into the idea that the Chretien and Martin team were somehow the saviours of Canada's economy.

Considering they took us from a $42 billion deficit and near-bankruptcy to by far the most stable fiscal situation in the G8 (or even the OECD, for that matter), I'd say that saviours is a pretty good descriptor. As for the free trade agreement, it's pretty specious reasoning to claim that all of the increase in trade is as a result of the deal. Even before the agreement, very few export products faced tariffs. Most of the increase is driven by the petroleum and auto sectors. Exports of the former's products certainly didn't need a trade agreement to be facilitated, while the latter was already protected under the Auto Pact. Most of the tariff reductions would have happened under the WTO anyway.

What we did get was a deal that requires us to continue selling oil to the United States even if we're facing dire shortage up here, and a deal where the Americans can block our products anyway if they feel like it (i.e. softwood lumber). What an achievement.

Frankly, Im quite surprised with this whole McGuinty/Martin lovefest going on in this thread.

I agree. It is pretty suprising when we hear something other than the same old anti-Liberal rhetoric on a message board.

Considering they took us from a $42 billion deficit and near-bankruptcy to by far the most stable fiscal situation in the G8 (or even the OECD, for that matter), I'd say that saviours is a pretty good descriptor

I would have agreed with you had it been something they did all on their own, without the huge revenue windfalls generated by the GST to help them out. Their "we'll axe the GST" lie was a major factor in winning the landslide majority that they did, then they turned around and forgot all about it, while using the very same GST to generate all that revenue.

The Chretien government was all about Smoke and Mirrors [just like Chretien getting rid of the Cadillac Limos when he came to power... replacing them with the Chevy's so that he could be perceived as being thrifty... meanwhile, those new Chevy's actually cost the taxpayer an additional $250K each just to convert into bullet/bomb-proof limos]

As for the free trade agreement, it's pretty specious reasoning to claim that all of the increase in trade is as a result of the deal.

I never claimed that all of the increase was due to the FTA. What I said was that there was a significant increase due to the Free Trade agreement, which there was.

Anways, we can all argue this till we're blue in the face. Nobody on here is going to change anyone's mind when it comes to politics. You have your opinions and I have mine. For the record, I'm not a supporter of any one particular party. I actually liked Martin quite a bit... but I lost respect for him during the last few months of the last election campaign.

willingness to cut essential services shows they were determined to turn things around.

Sure it would have happened but it took like 5 years to turn things around. After that the liberals really started to fade away.

Considering they took us from a $42 billion deficit and near-bankruptcy to by far the most stable fiscal situation in the G8 (or even the OECD, for that matter), I'd say that saviours is a pretty good descriptor

I would have agreed with you had it been something they did all on their own, without the huge revenue windfalls generated by the GST to help them out. Their "we'll axe the GST" lie was a major factor in winning the landslide majority that they did, then they turned around and forgot all about it, while using the very same GST to generate all that revenue.

The Chretien government was all about Smoke and Mirrors [just like Chretien getting rid of the Cadillac Limos when he came to power... replacing them with the Chevy's so that he could be perceived as being thrifty... meanwhile, those new Chevy's actually cost the taxpayer an additional $250K each just to convert into bullet/bomb-proof limos]

As for the free trade agreement, it's pretty specious reasoning to claim that all of the increase in trade is as a result of the deal.

I never claimed that all of the increase was due to the FTA. What I said was that there was a significant increase due to the Free Trade agreement, which there was.

Anways, we can all argue this till we're blue in the face. Nobody on here is going to change anyone's mind when it comes to politics. You have your opinions and I have mine. For the record, I'm not a supporter of any one particular party. I actually liked Martin quite a bit... but I lost respect for him during the last few months of the last election campaign.

There was no revenue "windfall" from the GST. The GST was designed to be a revenue-neutral tax change, replacing the incredibly complex Manufacturers' Sales Tax with a streamlined GST. There was no "windfall" to be had whatsoever.

^^ Agreed. GST was a really positive move in that it replaced a fairly bad tax that penalised domestic firms and was fairly complicated, with the economically efficient, simpler, and fairer value-added tax that is the GST. I wish they had never promised to abolish the GST, and I'm quite glad they kept it. Stephen Harper lost my vote on the promise to cut GST by itself, disregarding all his other campaign promises.

Indeed, Ontario should roll out a plan to harmonise the quite harmful PST with a new value added tax that is ideally harmonized with the GST. This will lower the effective rate of taxation on corporations quite a bit in this province, which is astonishingly high. A plan to gradually increase it over time would also be welcome, if coupled with low-income rebates and cuts to corporate income and capital taxes in a revenue neutral fashion.

As far as the effect of NAFTA, I expect that very little of the growth of exports to the US is attributable to it. As has been stated, most of the growth has occurred in areas that did not previously face significant tariffs, and other trade agreements would have accomplished much of the rest. Indeed, I would be willing to consider supporting a plan to exit NAFTA in order to renegotiate a better deal or stick it out under existing WTO rules. NAFTA really poses a rather unacceptable infringement on our sovereignty. (and no, I'm most certainly not a fiscal liberal)

It makes me sick when people go around screaming about the evil McGuinty. First of all, he gave Toronto exactly what it asked for (unique enhanced taxation powers and other forms of independence). He inherited a multibillion dollar deficit as soon as he was elected, despite the repeated assurances by the tories in the middle of the campaign that the budget was absolutely balanced. When he tried to still implement some of his commitments in health care despite the budget crisis by raising taxes, the uproar was beyond unbelievable, lasted weeks, and caused a plummetting in the polls from which he has never recovered. He was attacked and called a liar endlessly (of course nobody mentioned the Tories' obvious lie about the balanced budget), and this was despite the fact that the money was going to the sector people identified as their number one priority. A sector where people claimed in polls that they'd be willing to accept targeted tax hikes in order to fund improvements.

Sorry if I caused you an upset tummy - and I was not aware that I was screaming.

As I have posted elsewhere, Miller made a strategic error in not having the province pick up its responsibilities concerning housing and social welfare first, before requesting a new City of Toronto Act. But as the present government has not yet done anything to rectify the problems of downloading, they bear responsibility for the ongoing problem.

I wasn't referring to you with that bit, but apology accepted! I'm feeling rather better now, thank you.

You're right in a sense about Miller's tactical error. I think the bigger error is not co-operating with all the municipal leaders to demand uploading. It's clearly something on which they can have a completely common front, and Toronto still seems to want to go it alone and make it seem like yet another Toronto bailout.

Unflattering branding unlimited

Aug 14, 2007 04:30 AM
Jim Coyle

Two summers ago, our city's advertising campaign Toronto Unlimited seemed merely vacuous and uninspired. This week, it seems like a cruel joke.

Toronto. The city that can't afford to clean its streets or fix its roads. Just call us Potholes Unlimited.

The service cuts announced last week by Mayor David Miller – in the aftermath of city council's refusal to raise taxes to pay the freight – might well have done what endless high-priced ad gurus couldn't. They have very likely branded us.

Toronto. The Grinch of a burgh that won't open its public skating rinks at Christmas. The town that closes its golf courses a week earlier in a land where summer already speeds by in a heartbeat. Couch Potatoes Unlimited.

Branding – other than in rare circumstances such as I Love New York – is not something always done by design. In the real world, both individuals and institutions tend, by their deeds or misdeeds, to either brand themselves inadvertently or to have it done for them by circumstances.

Not since Cleveland found itself known far and wide as the city so filthy that the Cuyahoga River flowing through it caught fire, has a municipality been fitted for such an unflattering public relations albatross as the one Toronto placed on its own shoulders last week.

Toronto. The town that won't plow the snow off sidewalks for seniors. Broken Hips and Wrists Unlimited.

What a mockery it makes of all the talk about the need for "visions," all those weekend features with titles like What If?, the books with clever titles like uTOpia, all the blueprints for revitalized waterfronts and networks of elevated tubes for cyclists to speed through town in eco-friendly bliss.

Toronto. The town that plans to close its libraries on Sundays and its community centres on Mondays. Deadbolts Unlimited.

What's proposed is an abomination. It is the nearest thing to a class war. It makes those whose resources are most meagre and whose pleasures are simplest – those in circumstances and areas where the odds are already stacked against them – carry the cost of this budget, of council's cowardice, of our collective short-sightedness.

It takes the pain and sacrifice and largely shoves it onto, say, temporary and seasonal workers whose hours and jobs will be cut, onto those without personal wherewithal or private clubs to go to.

In November, a national study showed how connected physical health was to income level, to neighbourhood and social circumstances. Disadvantaged neighbourhoods reported lower levels of good health. So the city's solution? Fix the game even more.

The service cuts are an attack on both public spaces – the sinews that bind us together, the places that reflect our commitment to civility. They are an attack on public institutions – those things that help to level the playing field, to give those who might otherwise do without places to exercise, play, meet, learn. In short, places to stay healthy in mind, body and spirit.

Back in the silly days of Toronto Unlimited, the would-be branders –essentially undone by their own laughable overkill – trilled that the city "is nearly indefinable, nearly infinite in its possibilities for the traveller and nearly impossible to forget once you've been there."

Last week, the mayor – grappling with the triple whammy of downloading, amalgamation and tax cuts and freezes – was less ethereal and found the consequences of the budget easy to define, saying: "All these things are a diminution of the quality of life in Toronto."

Understatement Unlimited.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Coyle usually appears Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

It's the National Post, but there might be a couple nuggets of value.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

City kowtowing causes fiscal woe

Terence Corcoran
National Post

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The essential cause of Toronto's fiscal crisis isn't lack of taxes. It isn't even the spending. It's the grand operating culture at City Hall, the great control apparatus that the Mayor and the city's ruling power establishment refuse to tackle.

In the days before last week's Black Friday budget cutbacks, which Mayor David Miller said would damage Toronto's "quality of life," news folk were bombarded with a "Media Alert--Photo Opportunity." The Mayor, said the urgent message, would be visiting the Port Lands area to unveil the latest Filmport real estate development on city property.

That was on Wednesday, and it went well. Nobody mentioned the life-diminishing cutbacks the Mayor would make two days later, nor the subsidies the city is giving to Filmport, nor the mysterious contract the city signed to get Hollywood to build the largest sound-stage in North America on prime downtown real estate.

The Filmport project is representative of the city's operating style, one that focuses on government control, ownership and management, all the while catering to special interests.

Whatever losses in quality of life Torontonians endure as a result of the $83-million in annual cuts to snow removal, tree plantings, road work and swimming pool hours, nothing, it seems, is going to diminish the quality of life for Toronto's film industry.

Nor is anything going to diminish the quality of life of city employees. A few hours less work here and there, but the basic infrastructure of benefits and wages remains untouched.

I'm not suggesting city employees should not be well compensated. I'm talking about perks and benefits unseen by 99% of the people who pay the city's property taxes. Since 2000, wages and benefits paid by the city have increased by almost $1-billion a year, or 35%, to $3.7-billion -- an average of more than 7% per year.

An example of a city perk-run-amok would be the Sick Leave Benefit Plan. Under union contract, city employees are "credited" with a maximum of 18 days sick time per year. If the employee doesn't get sick, unused sick leave can be accumulated from year to year, up to a maximum of 130 days. This great scam is now carried on the books of the city as a liability of $308-million. In the past five years alone, the sick leave benefit for people who don't get sick has grown by $60-million.

The sick benefit provides another insight into how the city operates. A separate sick leave benefit reserve fund was set aside to at least cover part of the liability. There was once $100-million in that fund, but in 2005 the reserve had been depleted down to $77-million. As the liability grew by $60-million, the reserve fund was depleted by $25-million, opening up an $85-million hole in the future liability faced by city taxpayers.

To keep the sick leave fiasco and other union devices in place, the Mayor is going to cut city services. Nothing will be done to bring in major reforms. The city's golf courses will close one week early. City efficiency figures show 200,083 rounds of golf played on the courses in 2005, for an average cost per round of $23.97. Such precision. But the big question is:What is the city doing in the golf course business?

The cut in sidewalk snow removal and some garbage pick-up services is another petty short-term political move that avoids the large long-term solution. Parts of Toronto already do not get sidewalk snow removal service -- the result of earlier budget assaults on taxpayers. In fact, there is a bylaw that forces some city residents to clean their own sidewalks -- although it would be illegal for them to collectively contract the service out to private operators.

The biggest symbol of this malfunctioning city is the Toronto Transit Commission. The system is controlled by politicians, city council members who become transit "commissioners" who preside like a board of directors over every nut-and-bolt trivial decision at the TTC and pretend to make sober decisions on transit. While the TTC spends hundreds of millions building and maintaining streetcar services that are uneconomical, and billions on subways that lose money, and negotiates labour deals that drive costs up, the commissioners mire themselves in minutia and local politics.

A typical TTC meeting item: "Chair [Adam] Giambrone moved that staff be requested to report back at the end of the year on the status of the project to replace temporary hand-written signage at collectors' booths. Commissioner [Bill] Saundercook moved that staff include in their report examples of signage and wayfinding from other cities."

No wonder Mr. Giambrone said the scale of the city's budget problems came "as a shock" to him. And no wonder that as Toronto grapples with its budget crisis, it tackles everything except the real causes of the crisis.

© National Post 2007

Yah, I'll give it a few nuggets, although the thesis is off.

An example of a city perk-run-amok would be the Sick Leave Benefit Plan. Under union contract, city employees are "credited" with a maximum of 18 days sick time per year. If the employee doesn't get sick, unused sick leave can be accumulated from year to year, up to a maximum of 130 days. This great scam is now carried on the books of the city as a liability of $308-million. In the past five years alone, the sick leave benefit for people who don't get sick has grown by $60-million.
Indeed, this sounds a bit rich, but can't be something honestly tackled until the next round of negotiations anyway.

While the TTC spends hundreds of millions building and maintaining streetcar services that are uneconomical,
And replacing them with busses with 40% more operators is?

Exactly, Darkstar. That's the problem with these National Post types. They always have to get their ideological peeves in the way of a rational argument.

That being said, there are issues like that sick leave plan. I have several friends who've worked at the TTC. One was a university co-op student. He was paid $28 an hour, much more than students at any other placement. Leaving aside his stories of his actual work experience, which are quite shocking to say the least, there are some bits about his pay which are really quite problematic. Several times, he was called in on the weekend. He would never work for more than two or three hours, but the contract required him to be paid for a full work day. What's more, he was also paid double time. Assuming a 7 hour day at $56 an hour, that's $392 for a day, or $196 an hour for the two hours he actually worked. He certainly considered that quite rich.

What field was he working in, and more importantly, where can I sign up?

Back