News   Jul 15, 2024
 512     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

The Met + Encore at The Met (Edilcan, 43 + 33s, P+S) COMPLETE

Any new photos?

Hi, does anyone have any recent photos of the Met/Encore they can post? Thanks

Re: Any new photos?

What's with the lack of variety in the retail of these new condos? Seems like two of every three are bank branches or Tim's. Is it some overarching desire for corporate clean-ness on the part of the developers? I'm all for retail street presence, but if everything is going to be cookie-cutter like this, what's the point?

jordancerovic:

I believe Jane Jacobs covered this effect in her Death and Life of Great American Cities - oftentimes, only banks, chain stores and the like can afford these spaces in new buildings.

AoD

Thanks for the clarification. I know it's practically a sin here, but I've never read any Jane Jacobs. I'll give the book you mentioned a shot.

Not necessarily, but they are the most secure bidders.

it some overarching desire for corporate clean-ness on the part of the developers?

Once the condo is completed it is up to the condo corporation (essentially the residents) regarding retail tenants in most cases. Sometimes responsibility for the retail is sold off to third party commercial/retail firm to administer. Residential developers rarely stay involved in the retail side of new condos for the long-term.

Well, that depends on whether the retail space is owned by the corporation, or a private owner. If the latter, the condo corporation doesn't have much say in who the space gets rented to.

Whoever is deemed the most secure will get the space. The chains have the advantage.

I wish more of downtown had some unique to the world stores that really made the area a thrill to shop in. I know that there are areas that do have some, but for the most part downtown, there really is nothing I wouldn't fine anywhere else. I guess it depends on your interest, but some of these new condos all do seem to have your standard run of the mill stores that you really get tired of seeing on every corner.

Have you ever walked along Queen West? (or Queen West West, or West Queen West, or whatever it is these days).

Or Queen East? Or King East? Or Front East?

The banks, starbucks and drycleaners are going to go somewhere -- I don't think there's a problem with them taking up new spaces, and vacating some of their older spaces.

Nothing mindblowing sorry. Certainly nothing that will offer people something they couldn't find anywhere else. I am being unfair there are a few, just not many.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Toronto's shopping thoroughfares are lined with unique and independent boutiques and shops etc. The big chains are there too, but not to the degree that you might find along the main drags of most large US cities.

Back