News   Jul 15, 2024
 486     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 640     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 579     0 

The Met + Encore at The Met (Edilcan, 43 + 33s, P+S) COMPLETE

damn the met is tall! how did it ever get approved without the nimbys having a fit?

Actually, when it comes to 80s aesthetic, 1001 Bay is more like this
231148215_small.jpg

Wow, is the Met ever looking good from all angles... more like this please!

A muddle-headed grasp at what the architect saw as fashionably PoMo styling - in a city that PoMo passed by almost entirely?

Then what's with 1033 Bay to the left? Now, *that* typifies 80s Toronto Postmodern a lot more; 1001 Bay, though, is just plain vulgar--perhaps the sleaziest worst in highrise construction in 80s Toronto, *period*.

I guess it depends how you define "PoMo" (or whether it subsumes LateMo--well, if you're referencing 1001 Yonge in that regard, yes it does), but IMO Toronto had/has *plenty*, thanks to its being a boomtown in that period. (Indeed, when I visited Vancouver in 1994 as "Vancouver Modern" was ascendant, it dawned on me *how* stuck-in-80s-PoMo Toronto was. Sort of like Downtown Calgary being mostly mired in pre-oil-bust REO/Styx/Journeydom...)

1001 Bay wasn't bad - lived there during University.

From what I understood, the develop ran out of money and the interior lobby spaces were largely unfinished when the building was turned over to the condo owners. It was also the building where a woman was murdered in the underground parking garage in 1990 or so.

1001 Bay had a great loading bay for moving in and out. Not sure if any others in TO have this feature, but NONE in Vancouver have it that I've seen. Apart from the tower having lowrise and highrise elevators (do any other condos in TO have two banks of elevators?) the lowrise moving elevator had front and back doors - the back door of the elevator opened directly to the designated loading bay.
For the lowrise floors, you loaded the moving elevator through the back door (while the front door remained closed) without interacting with anyone in the lobby (so no one could steal your stuff) and unloaded on your floor through the front door of the elevator.
For the highrise, the front and back door of the moving elevator were left open, so you could cross the elevator lobby to access the highrise bank of elevators from the loading bay. Not as secure, but you're still not hauling stuff through the lobby.

1001 Bay had a great loading bay for moving in and out. Not sure if any others in TO have this feature

I lived in the Plaza II apartments (above The Bay at Yonge & Bloor) for many years & they have the same rear loading feature from the loading docks off Asquith Ave. Very convenient for moving & large deliveries. 100 Wellesley East is the same.
Most newer condos that I know of are like this too.

I saw lights on in the Met tower today. Are people moving in?

Move in is supposed to be starting September 2007, although things seem to be proceeding very quickly. Glass is going in around the lobby entrance. The lights have been on in suites where the interior work is being done. Waiting for my move in date to be announced...

For whatever reason, the adjective that comes to mind for Met is 'handsome.' I don't know exactly why, but I just love it...it's a great addition to that neighbourhood.

Interested to see how Murano turns out, so the two can duke it out for nicest-new-building-around-Yonge-and-College-supremacy. I don't think RoCP can really compete on that one.

The Met is a beautiful addition to our city and it’s fits perfectly into the streetscape.

Back