1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 609     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 294     0 

The election drums are beating again...

• Thread starter Unknown </username> <dateline>1118788320</date
  • Start date
Good to see the feds start to at least acknowledge the gap.

Agathering... you make some valid points, however your know-it-all attidude an insults towards the members of urbantoronto are not very welcome. Maybe it is you who doesn't know what this forum is about and you certainly are on the very very extreme right wing fringe with many of your ideas - even George Bush and his neo-con hawks would put you out on the extreme right with comments like this

A mandatory death age of 70 is more than generous. Just no CPP or health coverage, like the private universities. Pay as you go. If you can. We have more important priorities than keeping worthless retired people alive on our taxes.

Anything positive from some of the points you make goes out the window when the reader quickly realized that you are in fact an extremist. So what important priorities to we have than "keeping worthless retired people alive"? I'm guesing reducing your taxes?

I wasn't aware residents of 1001 Queen W. had access to the internet.

I think we can all agree that there are no good choices out there, if there was we wouldn't be in a minority gov't position in the first place. My personal feeling is that we have learned alot about how a minority government is limited in what it can do because anything too uncomfortable for the majority of people will cause an election. In that light, I am ready for a Conservative minorty government. There is really no risk of a conservative majority as Quebec wont vote for them.

-also, for what it is worth, the Block is not the most dangerous party out there. I'd vote block before I vote NDP anyday. The block just wants to cleave our nation in two fairly intact parts, smilin' Jack and his lot would grind us down into poverty (excluding those lucky enough to be in a public sector union, in which case it is the same only delayed a decade)

Today's EKOS poll shows the Conservatives ahead of the Liberals ( who have only 15% ) in Quebec. Looks like a Liberal meltdown's happening all across the country.

I hope Harper's "coming-out" about promising to ban gay marriage through legislation will be enough to paint him as a social conservative to be feared by most Canadians. MacKay will never have my respect again.

I think the Conservatives' best chance at really gaining a hold in Ontario and with centrists would be to select Belinda Stronach as leader. A female PM, and a social moderate would appeal to the Ontario audience to a great extent. At least, much more than the awkward and uncharismatic Harper.

Don't fool yourself... a minority government still has a lot of power through the PMO. Harper could do a lot of damage before he could be brought down in the house... and he might be able to buy the Bloq by repealing the Clarity Act. The bloq doesn't care if Harper ruins Canada... it will provide greater impetus for separation.

Sorry guys.

There is no deal. This is politics where the federal government lobs a shot that forces the provincial government to make a negative announcement in the face of the federal governments positive pronouncement.

It is sad that amid their incredibly poor political judgment, the federal liberals attempt to do damage to the only provincial political party that could could actually be of some help to them.

These days: liberal political strategists = oxymoron.

Oh, and considering CPP and OAS, they are some of the few federal programs that actually have measures in place to guage their value and impact on the population. Most programs don't, and never have. Hence (for example) the sponsorship issues. No one checked to see if anything was actually working in a measurable way.

Why should the Feds give money to Ontario? Unlike Quebec, Ontario will vote for them regardless. Just a suggestion but Ontario should have its own party like the Bloc. It could promote Ontario interest. It could be a good alternative to the Liberals and Conservatives. The NDP is good except they'll rack up a bigger budget deficit than Dubya himself.

Why should the Feds give money to Ontario? Unlike Quebec, Ontario will vote for them regardless.

You hit the nail right on the head.

Unknown</title>
<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>
</post>
<post>
<thread>N</thread>
<threadtitle>The election drums are beating again...</threadtitle>
<threadviews>0</threadviews>
<threadsticky>0</threads

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>
</post>
<post>
<thread>N</thread>
<threadtitle>The election drums are beating again...</threadtitle>
<threadviews>0</threadviews>
<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>
<poll></poll>
<username>allabootmatt</username>
<dateline>1114654500</dateline>
<title></title>
<pagetext>I am beginning to see the (substantial) elegance of the Liberal strategy here. The beauty of it is that, even if the budget doesn't get passed, Harper looks like a real visigoth--saying all these hyberbolic things about the budget and NDP, and, in the end, bringing down the government because he would prefer corporate tax cuts to social spending. This is all fantastic campaign ammunition.

I am more-or-less convinced that this whole deal with the NDP was as much about setting a trap for Harper as it was about actually passing legislation. And the bastard is falling for it.

Indeed allabootmatt. Another argument I've just heard was how by striking a deal with the NDP, the budget would actually aim for the same constituents as the Bloc does.

Not to mention, the optics of having Harper and Duceppe as the collaborating parties responsible for bringing down the government.

GB

The business media are spinning this news as something that will destroy Canada's reputation as a fiscally prudent country utterly. Such spin is remarkable, especially since this deal is more about optics and posturing than actual fiscal policy. It can be changed after the next election, regardless of who wins.

Back