News   Jul 26, 2024
 194     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 970     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 761     0 

The Economist: The charms of Calgary and the gloom in Toronto

^That's an interesting way of putting it. Centralization and existing in isolation from competing suburban municipalities does help it along.

I went to Calgary once and, while I don't think it will ever be the kind of city that you could spend a week exploring on foot, it did have a sense of optimistic big city ambition in the air that was quite infectious. It's also about time that a city finally emerged the clear winner from our never-ending "What's Canada's fourth city?" fight.

For all the talk of Calgary sprawl... the reality is that Toronto is no different.
Let's compare apples to apples, not 19th century vs. 20th century downtowns.
Post WWII urban sprawl in Toronto rivals some of the worst offenders in North America.

Actually, Toronto was quite different in the immediate postwar era. Our neighbourhoods were built with higher density subdivisions and a lot of high-rise apartment buildings. I'm always surprised just how small backyards in It is probably because of all our suburban high-rises that Toronto is second in North America when it comes to high-rises. Suburban Toronto in the 20th century was obviously built according with some urban planning ideals that emphasized higher density.

As for this article, I was surprised to see some intelligent perspectives in the comments section.

Hey, I've been to Calgary. Done things in Calgary. Seen Calgary. Felt Calgary.

In my personal opinion, it really is laaaame-o!

So? Do you like everything you ever come across? Right....you don't.

Although this whole thread is a joke and people are throwing around insults senslessly, you would have to be pretty naive to think that the average Calgarian has humility and wouldn't insult Toronto in exactly this same way.
No, they'd much rather insult people from Saskatchewan when the Riders and their fans come in to play football.

I don't think that was the point of the article. Toronto has had it fairly easy for a generation or so, pretty much handed the reigns of power by Montreal, and a power that has remained fairly uncontested within Canada... until now. Not that Calgary or Vancouver for that matter truly challenge Toronto's power but that they are now legitimately important cities on the rise that will vie with Toronto more and more for a share of the pie. All the anti-Calgary/anti-Toronto nonsense aside who can really question this?

I don't think Toronto was simply handed the reigns of power. It was pretty close to Montreal for quite a while, even before Seperatists caused an influx of business.

Personally I think it's a good thing to see the rise of other Canadian cities. The more competition, the better.

The Economist is always trying to paint some dramatic picture out of nothing when it comes to Canada. Sorry lads, we really aren't that interesting. Speaking of thin-skinned and complexes has anyone else noticed that there is sometimes this negative condescending strain of commentary in British media with regard to Canada?

I think because they can't deride America they deride Canada instead. America they recognize as a superpower, whereas Canada makes an easy target.

You must not read the Economist. The deride the US plenty.

^I wouldn't say that. Once in a while, yeah, well enough...but not all that frequently. Any non-American newsmagazine that has a seperate section for the USA can't be that derisive towards it.

Would anyone know the general attitude of the British press towards Australia? That might make a handy comparison.

^I wouldn't say that. Once in a while, yeah, well enough...but not all that frequently. Any non-American newsmagazine that has a seperate section for the USA can't be that derisive towards it.

Would anyone know the general attitude of the British press towards Australia? That might make a handy comparison.

The Brit press treats Aussies like loudmouthed, mouth breathing 'unsophisticates' but there's a grudging respect as well (generally because they'd all move there in a second if they'd have 'em and the people there are generally prettier than 'ome). One thing I find odd (or telling) about the British press is that articles about North America (including Canada) are rife with factual errors and spelling mistakes (as though having an -erroneous- opinion about something is more important than its factual worth).

Last edited:
I think we've finally arrived at the era where the British press can no longer pull off the colonial master superiorty routine. In fact, I think it is finally begun penetratig the conciousness of the British people that they might not just be perceived as, but actually are, the drunken louts of the developed world, rapidly sliding down the economic chain, save for a couple thousand City non-dom workers.

Back