2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Tamil Protests downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lock them all up. Kids and all. How can it be tolerated to hold the city hostage with these stupid protests.

That's it exactly. It wasn't a simple protest, but an effort to hold the city hostage until their demands were met (namely, a meeting with federal officials).

Oh these stupid fools putting their kids in danger like that :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sick of this.

I am gonna go and run around these people (who support a terrorist group) and wave an Al Qaeda flag and see how they feel.

They've hurt their own cause and put their kids in danger-- I say clamp down NOW. This is SHIT.

Being a news junkie, I've been following this for the past couple of weeks.
I keep CNN tuned in on Sundays for the Sunday politics shows. They had a "CNN Breaking News" bumper at about 11pm and did a brief piece on how the Tamil Protesters have closed the Gardiner Expressway in Toronto. This was followed by "more on 'American Morning' tomorrow at 6am..."

Oath of Citizenship

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful

and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty

Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada,

Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully

observe the laws of Canada

and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

PS.

The era of personal rights has ended. The era of interpersonal responsibilities (how you treat others) has begun.

Or at least that's how it needs to be. I'm sick of this whole "RIGHTS" shtick without responsibilities. Rights are a BAD thing for everyone else if there are no accompanying responsibilities. And in Canada, our rights far outweigh our responsibilities, which is HIGHLY unfortunate.

That is all.

PS.

The era of personal rights has ended. The era of interpersonal responsibilities (how you treat others) has begun.

Or at least that's how it needs to be. I'm sick of this whole "RIGHTS" shtick without responsibilities. Rights are a BAD thing for everyone else if there are no accompanying responsibilities. And in Canada, our rights far outweigh our responsibilities, which is HIGHLY unfortunate.

That is all.

It's unnecessary to impose such responsibilities on people, and doing so would open up a can of worms. The solution here is to have rights, but only limited rights.

And, indeed, that is exactly what we have. The laws work. Whether or not the politicians or police want to actually enforce them in this instance is a different matter altogether.

It's unnecessary to impose such responsibilities on people, and doing so would open up a can of worms. The solution here is to have rights, but only limited rights.

And, indeed, that is exactly what we have. The laws work. Whether or not the politicians or police want to actually enforce them in this instance is a different matter altogether.

In sense, interpersonal responsibilities ARE rights-- ex.) instead of gay "rights" I think also people should see as their RESPONSIBILITY to treat gay people with respect. -- ex.) Instead of having the RIGHT to block our highways, the Tamil Tigers supporters should understand that it's their RESPONSIBILITY to protest in a way that doesn't inconvenience and hurt their own cause, and protest in a way that will actually get their cause heard.

Tamil protests

OMG ... WTF is going on ?!?!?

For the past while, University Ave was pretty much shut down with the protesters blocking the road picketing the US Embassy/Consulate; and today, they rush the Gardinier Expressway this afternoon out of the blue !
And it continues NOW as I type this.

Hell, the whole police services was put on alert and the news said ETF and tear gas has been seen ready to use.

Sure, people have the right to protest, etc ... but there is a time and place for all this. They are putting themselves and others in dangerous situations.

When you block University Ave, which is called 'hospital row', impeding the ability of emergency services, you are literally killing people.
And today ... we're just lucky that no pedestrians or drivers got into bad accidents or fatalities.

I am saddened to say this, but my sympathies and patience have been exhausted.
I fear I am not the only one that feels this way now and they have done more damage for relations than earn empathy.

I think this is the video that puts the icing on the cake. What they did was completely illegal and has thrown out any regard for the Canadian society. You do not see this in Canada.

Tamil Protest Video Getting Out of Control - On to The Gardiner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arr5Ct19MPU
???? There's nothing in that video except people marching and protesting. No violence, no damage. As far as I know, we haven't suspended the right of people to protest here.

And they've very nicely moved their protest to a highway the city has declared surplus, and wants to remove; shouldn't inconvenience anyone too much. :)

Last edited:
In sense, interpersonal responsibilities ARE rights-- ex.) instead of gay "rights" I think also people should see as their RESPONSIBILITY to treat gay people with respect. -- ex.) Instead of having the RIGHT to block our highways, the Tamil Tigers supporters should understand that it's their RESPONSIBILITY to protest in a way that doesn't inconvenience and hurt their own cause, and protest in a way that will actually get their cause heard.

It's an interesting proposal to discuss in a class room, but implementing such a radical principle of interpretation in reality would have enormous consequences, many unforeseen, on the Constitution and the Charter.

I was stuck on the Gardiner for about an hour due to this protest. I thought I and everyone else had missed some maintenance announcement.

From what I heard, some of the protesters brought little children onto the highway. Those people may need their heads examined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back