Not open for further replies.
gardiner1.jpg

Last edited:
Tamil protesters block Gardiner Expressway
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/632136
May 10, 2009 07:47 PM
Comments on this story (22)
THE CANADIAN PRESS
Tamil protesters waving flags have shut down both lanes of the Gardiner Expressway.

Both eastbound and westbound lanes are completely blocked as hundreds of people marched up the ramps onto the elevated highway that runs across the south end of the city.

Toronto police are on the scene attempting to contain the crowds.

Traffic is backed up in both directions of the busy artery for kilometres in both directions.

Tamil Canadians and their supporters have been holding protests for several months to demonstrate against violence in Sri Lanka.

They began converging on University Avenue across from the U.S. consulate Saturday afternoon, holding a moving protest.

That continued demonstration has now spilled onto the major Toronto artery in an attempt to bring attention to the killing of people in Sri Lanka's civil war.

They're calling for other governments to help reach a ceasefire.

Call me crazy, but they might have more success if they protested in Sri Lanka. If I began a hunger strike in Winnipeg, would it result in changes to Finland's tax laws? Unlikely.

All those people on the Gardiner...reminds me of a scene in Soylent Green when a people-scooper cleared a protest...where's that *evil* smiley when you need it?

Protest

I can't beleive my eyes. I can't believe a group that is protesting about another country is allowed to block highways and cause a major disruption.

Tamil Protest Video Getting Out of Control - On to The Gardiner

I think this is the video that puts the icing on the cake. What they did was completely illegal and has thrown out any regard for the Canadian society. You do not see this in Canada.

Tamil Protest Video Getting Out of Control - On to The Gardiner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arr5Ct19MPU

Arrest every last one of them, if that's what it takes to clear the highway.

Closing down the main artery in and out of the city is a major public nuisance. Freedom of association and expression only goes so far, and it does not protect such blatantly illegal acts.

And furthermore, what exactly do they want us to do about the war? Are we going to have to endure these major disruptions to the city every time a group of people is upset about some international event?

the front lines

dynamic_resize

Woman with children in strollers and young girls had taken the front row of the protest and were within a few metres of 60 police dressed in full riot gear, including shields.

Last edited:
can someone please explain why lake shore is also shut down? From what I can see it really doesnt look like it should be shut down. And, QQ is backed up past Yonge right now as well.

This is certainly a new low for protest tactics in Toronto, worse than the Palestinian-Israeli shouting match on Bloor Street. I'm afraid that once this protest gets international attention like the one in Bangkok where protesters shut down the city's international airport, every group with a grievance would try to stage something that would disrupt a major infrastructure. For Toronto this could be Pearson Airport, the Gardiner, Union Station or the subway system.

As this protest is racial in nature, I understand that the police is really caught in a tough position. If they remove the protesters with force, they get blamed for being racists and our multicultural city gets a bad rap. If the police can't remove them, they get blamed for not doing their job. However I think the police should do better than to stand and hope to contain the protesters while they hijack major city infrastructure.

While the Tamils may have gotten their voice heard through this protest (as they already have through their earlier downtown protests, car flags and bumper stickers), it's really going to hurt their reputation in Toronto. The fact that most of them live in "crime-ridden" Scarborough has given them a not-so-positive stereotype. This has just raised racial tensions even further. I predict that any more escalation of this protest campaign would result in a race riot. I hope that I'm wrong.

While the Tamils may have gotten their voice heard through this protest (as they already have through their earlier downtown protests, car flags and bumper stickers), it's really going to hurt their reputation in Toronto.

Agreed.

There is a difference between creating awareness and creating resentment. Recklessly disrupting the ability of the city to function could lose them any casual sympathy that they've garnered from their more civil protests... not that it will make a lick of difference to the actual conflict.

Lock them all up. Kids and all. How can it be tolerated to hold the city hostage with these stupid protests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back