News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 618     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 298     0 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

there are still quite some parking lots. I wouldn't worry about the loss of heritage buildings due to the lack of land downtown.
For Christ's sake, we have a large lot right behind City Hall.

Errrr....yeah, they will NEVER build anything tall on that lot. I lived on Chestnut street for 10 years, many developers tried to build, but city council will never approve anything over 10 stories there, same reason many proposals have been rejected, it would shadow Nathan Philips Square. I suspect the same holds true for many empty/parking lots throughout the core. Right or wrong, demolishing old, ever heritage buildings, may be necessary, purely because of their location. It's ignorant to assume (no offence) just because a lot is seemingly empty, that it's the best place to build, like anything in real estate, location location location. :D

Reviving an old thread to post this exchange from SSP:

FrankieFlowerpot said:
Saw another proposal this week that will be a new entry in the top 3. It will take the #2 spot in fact.

This was posted in SSP's "Canada's 50 Tallest Proposals" thread, where the #1 proposal is the Mirvish/Gehry West tower at 304.3m and the #2 proposal is One Yonge 1 at 293m.

Ramako said:
Whoa... I take it that it will be in Toronto?

FrankieFlowerpot said:
It will indeed.

Still early days as drawings are at a very preliminary phase.

FrankieFlowerpot said:
Its not planned to be over 300m.

That's all I know.

So according to FrankieFlowerpot, a Toronto proposal that's still under wraps is currently planned to be between 293m and 299m in height.

Toronto is rapidly becoming the world center for buildings that JUST miss the 300m supertall threshold.

The world center for buildings that don't meet an arbitrary number that's sole purpose is to appease foaming-at-the-mouth fanboys? I think I can get down with that.

Toronto is rapidly becoming the world center for buildings that JUST miss the 300m supertall threshold.

Let's keep in mind that all of these are still just proposals, and some are more realistic than others. Right now we only have one building built or under construction that just misses that threshold so I'm not going to complain if we actually build another one or two.

an arbitrary number that's sole purpose is to appease foaming-at-the-mouth fanboys?

A little harsh maybe....I know a couple of major local developers who are well aware of what "supertall" is...

My guesses as to where FrankieFlowerpot's near-supertall might be located:

One obvious location would be the 60 Harbour plot. It apparently was going to have a supertall at one point, but the numbers did not close for that height and the last I heard, they were going with two shorter (but still quite tall) towers. There is certainly room for multiple towers, it's about the area of the Maple Leaf Square site.

Another possibility might be the LCBO site, just east of the One Yonge development. There was a rumour about a 75-floor residential tower some time ago, but I've heard nothing new about it since then. It's possible that this is the same project, with 10-20 floors added because the One Yonge project is establishing new density precedents for the area.

Honestly, supertalls are important, but infill is required. I would also like a larger skyline, even then what we have right now. Sometimes 1000 footers are not everything.

I think that you're on the wrong thread. Infill is certainly important, but this thread is specifically about newsflashes/rumours/speculation about very tall buildings.

I think it's for somewhere around Bloor. Chester alluded to how 1 Bloor won't be the tallest building in the area for long (or something like that) about a month ago. I replied and called him a tease but his comment came and went without much fanfare.

I think it's for somewhere around Bloor. Chester alluded to how 1 Bloor won't be the tallest building in the area for long (or something like that) about a month ago. I replied and called him a tease but his comment came and went without much fanfare.

The comment he made yesterday specifically mentioned that he only saw the proposal this week, so that must be something else.

Speculative joke: bus terminal on Bay ;)

(although there is a LARGE amount of land there that is coming vacant)

The comment he made yesterday specifically mentioned that he only saw the proposal this week, so that must be something else.

I asked him a lot and he didn't tell me anything. not even how the design looks.

I think that you're on the wrong thread. Infill is certainly important, but this thread is specifically about newsflashes/rumours/speculation about very tall buildings.
I understand, but I just having a 300m+ tower is not everything. I used to think that way.

When will we see drawings for it?

Back