News   Jul 22, 2024
 563     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 624     0 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

It's funny that the only publicly proposed supertalls to date (Oxford Place) were not part of the rumours, although if the tallest 1 Yonge tower does reach 300m it will be on a much-discussed supertall location.

It appears that a lot of the rumoured supertalls ended up being shortened or split into two for economic reasons. However there are still a few potential supertalls that we have heard nothing about for some time (for example the 100s Synergy residential project), which could still be announced in the future.

The tallest tower at the 1&7 Yonge site is planned as 272m just to the top floor. That figure doesn't include mechanical floors or that large roof feature. We are easily looking at 300-315 meters here. All these plans are subject to change though.

Depending on how demographic trends play out, those hoping for supertalls might have more luck in the next development cycle. Hard to believe given the volume of construction and activity but there are still just too many building sites in this city. We greatly under-appreciate sometimes the sheer geographic size of even the City of Toronto proper.

not allowed to say anything more than this, so don't ask, but something HUGE is coming to the downtown core.. but not supertall huge. (probably one of dozens of projects on the go right now, but this is the first/only one I have ever had insider knowledge of.)

This project I was hinting at has now come to the public light. (2 queen street west)

Toronto Star reports:

New Toronto tall building design guidelines aim to protect views of sky, sun, heritage

A new set of guidelines call for tall buildings to coexist with the rest of the city, by preserving certain views, honouring neighbourhood context and pedestrian experience — and, this one’s small one — but important: by suggesting that balconies have at least 1.5 metres of space and a rectangular persuasion for dining and seating, thank you very much.

One of my biggest criticisms of Toronto is that the highrises are too spread out in clusters many km apart. Hopefully this will concentrate the highrises downtown :) We have as many highrises as Chicago but many of ours are spread out in several downtowns, hopefully the trend to concentrate further downtown continues...

One of my biggest criticisms of Toronto is that the highrises are too spread out in clusters many km apart. Hopefully this will concentrate the highrises downtown :) We have as many highrises as Chicago but many of ours are spread out in several downtowns, hopefully the trend to concentrate further downtown continues...

I like seeing 50 storey towers in the suburban city centres. It looks extremely metropolitan. Our downtown is impressive as well, and becoming more impressive. But there's only so much you can have without destroying many heritage buildings.

I like seeing 50 storey towers in the suburban city centres. It looks extremely metropolitan. Our downtown is impressive as well, and becoming more impressive. But there's only so much you can have without destroying many heritage buildings.

there are still quite some parking lots. I wouldn't worry about the loss of heritage buildings due to the lack of land downtown.
For Christ's sake, we have a large lot right behind City Hall.

Back