News   May 03, 2024
 973     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 596     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 287     0 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

Awesome! It actually blends in nicely with our skyline, the towers in Dubai are basically all on one major avenue, and despite their multiple mega tall and super tall towers, it looks overly spacious, whereas here, it looks cosy, know what I mean?

I'm frustrated how long its taking for any of the truly big projects to break ground or even go into sales. Thinking of:
  • Mirvish Gehry
  • 1 Yonge
  • 1 Bloor West
  • Delta Chelsea
  • Convention Centre (arguable dead...)
  • Cumberland Terrace complex
Just venting, not bumping

i agree. some stupid building gets suggested, no one blinks an eye and it gets built. An iconic building gets suggested and they start doing feasibility studies. and never gets built. I don't get it.

i agree. some stupid building gets suggested, no one blinks an eye and it gets built. An iconic building gets suggested and they start doing feasibility studies. and never gets built. I don't get it.

Everyone wants to attach themselves to big projects by leaving their mark in some way. Once everyone has had their say it's often compromised and late.

Everyone wants to attach themselves to big projects by leaving their mark in some way. Once everyone has had their say it's often compromised and late.

That maybe, but a good proponent should have taken that into account in their timeline. The issue is probably more to do with financing and "getting the timing right" wrt the market conditions. Larger projects comes with greater financial risk afterall, and TO tends not to build on spec.

AoD

So Toronto is cooling, Home Capital may have been the turning point. And despite all the hype over the last 10-20 years we never got a tower that surpassed FCP, a complex to match TD in austere grandeur, a post modern to match BCE, or International to match Commerce Court. We got Aura.
The biggest disappointment is the fuss about Mirvish/Gehry & 1BW, Convention Centre & Foster, or the mammoth Cumberland Terrace. I see nothing to convince me these are advancing..

YSL is also beginning its marketing already.. its certainly one to watch, even if its still got a while to go for municipal approval.

So Toronto is cooling, Home Capital may have been the turning point. And despite all the hype over the last 10-20 years we never got a tower that surpassed FCP, a complex to match TD in austere grandeur, a post modern to match BCE, or International to match Commerce Court. We got Aura.
The biggest disappointment is the fuss about Mirvish/Gehry & 1BW, Convention Centre & Foster, or the mammoth Cumberland Terrace. I see nothing to convince me these are advancing..

We might get Bay Park, which is probably the equivalent of BCE in its scale and potential quality of architecture.

That being said, a bit of a cooldown is well-needed and long overdue.

We might get Bay Park, which is probably the equivalent of BCE in its scale and potential quality of architecture.

I could accept a cool down under one condition - that Mirvish-Gehry gets done first.

Not might, Bay Park is happening and will start construction this year. With 60% of both towers already leased out and naming rights secured, this project is a slam dunk.

Back