646     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 497     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 495     0 

Streetcar Tracks on Adelaide

May 28 11pm : Yonge St intersection
View attachment 567556
Streetview shows that there used to be catchbasin there - perhaps it's just blocked under the water somehow?

1716994037238.png

Streetview shows that there used to be catchbasin there - perhaps it's just blocked under the water somehow?

View attachment 567607
Quite possible but it needs to be fixed, They also still need to fix the sidewalks at the SW corner of Adelaide/Victoria and NE corner of Adelaide and Yonge. They clearly intend(ed?) to fix the corner radii as vehicles cannot turn at these corners but ,,,,,

Through put issue >>
Having parking on the right lane , and Left lane for left turns only means there is only one lane to go straight
This can be rectified with having Left lane as parking and for turning Left at / closer to intersection .. leaving right two lanes for through traffic (and right turns) .. same as it is on Richmond St.
Adeliade Victoria E3.jpg
Adeliade Victoria E.jpg
Adeliade Victoria E2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes.. there is one at the corner
I noticed this evening as well, I suppose there could be a drainage issue also needing maintenance (flushing?). Can’t wait for the cycle lane to be reclaimed for construction again! At least it would only be a few metres reworked.
Through put issue >>
By design, parking is prohibited during rush hour (7-10am, 3-7pm) for an additional through lane when it’s needed most. It’s a reasonable model.

Reactions: DSC
Adelaide is a key route from downtown to the DVP. I always question why parking it allowed on it. It’s a car sewer. Let it be one. There are no real destinations on Adelaide so let the car volume go there in exchange make King and Queen in that area transit priority and more space to pedestrians.

Adelaide is a key route from downtown to the DVP. I always question why parking it allowed on it. It’s a car sewer. Let it be one. There are no real destinations on Adelaide so let the car volume go there in exchange make King and Queen in that area transit priority and more space to pedestrians.
The 1940s called, they want their road planners back.

So you want to boost the capacity on the collector for the highway that’s already well over capacity?

Also there are tons of destinations on the street, same goes for richmond. Businesses here are just as deserving of the few paid street parking spaces. If they are removed it will not be for more driving lanes. The parking fits well in conjunction with the left turn lane, though I understand the turn lanes can easily overflow since many of them are separately signalized.

2024 May 31 - 22:45 : Adelaide & York St
Section between York & Bay St mostly open except for a 50m section where right lane is blocked for sidewalk construction.
Adelaide York 2.jpg
Adelaide York 4.jpg

One of my neighbours wrote to the City about the ponding @ Yonge and the unfinished corners @ Victoria and Yonge. Here is the response.

The ponding issues at the intersections in the work zone is due to clogged catch basins. During construction, cloth bags are installed to catch dust and other debris from entering the sewer. As part of the demobilization, the City’s contractor will be removing the cloth bags and will be flushing the sewers next week. This will resolve the issues with ponding in those locations.

The curb radi reductions at those intersections did not take place due to the TTC overhead wire poles and issues with underground areaways (old coal chutes, tunnels etc.).

Back