415     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 609     0 

Streetcar Tracks on Adelaide

2024-06-06 23:37 Richmond & York St

York 15.jpg

Oh, this photo reminded me of something I wanted to talk about.
You can see on the north-west quadrant of the intersection they have added this tiny little raised island, the one surrounded by cones on the left of the image. It is literally blocking the bike lane for straight through travelers, so cyclists have to go around it, hence the cones as a warning, I guess
I do not understand its purpose.

You can see on the north-west quadrant of the intersection they have added this tiny little raised island, the one surrounded by cones on the left of the image. It is literally blocking the bike lane for straight through travelers, so cyclists have to go around it, hence the cones as a warning, I guess

See discussion in the Cycling thread, first here:

Then my responses, (2 posts) starting here:

Reactions: max
It's a component of a protected intersection and is supposed to increase visibility of the conflicting movements of a straight through cyclist and a left turning vehicle. For traffic approaching from the west, cyclists are meant to proceed on the left and motor vehicles turning left should be passing on the right. There's a video a few pages back here (courtesy of @UntitledCyclist in his post here) showing that its function is not obvious to cyclists, and perhaps needs some improvements.

This on Ausma Malik's blog:

Construction: York St Track Work Installation - Queen St and York St

As early as June 10, crews will begin working in the Queen Street and York Street intersection to install streetcar tracks. This work will require the closure of 3 lanes on Queen Street at York Street. One land westbound on Queen will be maintained at all times. This phase of work is expected to be complete by the end of July 2024.

One lane northbound on York Street will be maintained at all times. No right turns from University Avenue onto Queen Street West will be permitted while this work is taking place. No left turns from Queen Street West onto York Street will be permitted.

This on Ausma Malik's blog:

Construction: York St Track Work Installation - Queen St and York St

As early as June 10, crews will begin working in the Queen Street and York Street intersection to install streetcar tracks. This work will require the closure of 3 lanes on Queen Street at York Street. One land westbound on Queen will be maintained at all times. This phase of work is expected to be complete by the end of July 2024.

One lane northbound on York Street will be maintained at all times. No right turns from University Avenue onto Queen Street West will be permitted while this work is taking place. No left turns from Queen Street West onto York Street will be permitted.
They are sticking to the plan doing this first as plan and then finishing off the project with the Richmond crossing tracks. By the end of June, totally finish for track and roadwork with TTC doing the OS before starting the testing.

The car folks will have to learn there 2 blocks of 2 way traffic on York when York St is open to traffic this month.

As there are no photos of any trackwork on York between Richmond & Queen, I assume that Mlx have still not really started track work on this (short) block. Sigh.

I also noted a couple of places on Adelaide where the TTC still need new/replacement poles - most seem to be in locations (e.g. at the Bell building rebuild, which seems to have gone silent) that they could not access easily earlier due to (building) construction -they have got locates painted around them so I assume they are coming. Some of the TTC poles on York south of Richmond also look to me as though they need replacement as they are the older thinner kind - I hope TTC have supply of poles waiting!

Back