News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

Street Signs

The other weird thing about Lin(n)smore is that only a small part of it is actually crescent-like. The street doesn't appear in the fire atlases and I haven't determined when it was built, but it looks like there was some name-changing and merging happening at some point, given how disjointed it is.

Consulting the city archives, there seems to have been a diversity of signs around this time period, just as today.

Further on, in 1944, some rather minimal yet redundant signage on Bay Street:

1944bay.jpg

Around the same time period at Victoria Park Ave:

1950vicpark.jpg

I think the Victoria Park Sign is actually a highway sign from about 1960 - for anyone coming from the old eastbound off-ramp of the 401.

The other weird thing about Lin(n)smore is that only a small part of it is actually crescent-like. The street doesn't appear in the fire atlases and I haven't determined when it was built, but it looks like there was some name-changing and merging happening at some point, given how disjointed it is.

The attached map detail (1932) will show that the Linsmore Cres. only went as far N. as Glebeholme Blvd. at that time.

Attachments

• Linsmore neighbourhood 1932.jpg
    Linsmore neighbourhood 1932.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 378
Speaking of which, a few of today's highway sign styles:

20677407.jpg

The white on green "Bayview-Bloop Ramp" sign is a pre-amalgamation Metro Works sign. They were used (rarely) on Metro parks or property. Another example was the now-gone Aquatic Dr., off of Lakeshore Bl W.

Weren't those round DVP/Gardiner signs brown or something (or even two different colours for each highway) once upon a time?

Unusually for a Canadian city, there are quite a number of streets in Toronto bearing the surnames of American presidents:

Washington Avenue
Adams Park Gate
Jefferson Avenue
Madison Avenue
Jackson Avenue
Harrison Road
Tyler Place
Lincoln Woods Court
Johnson Farm Lane
Grant Street
Hayes Lane
Garfield Avenue
Arthur Street
Cleveland Street
Roosevelt Road
Wilson Avenue
Harding Boulevard
Kennedy Avenue
Kennedy Road
Ford Street
Bush Drive
Clinton Street

Somebody should create a collage of these street signs and claim that Toronto is in the United States.

Interestingly enough, Miller Street and Ford Street are very close to each other (both intersect Davenport Road between Old Weston and Symington), both happening to bear the surnames of the two most recent Toronto mayors.

Unusually for a Canadian city, there are quite a number of streets in Toronto bearing the surnames of American presidents:

Wilson Avenue

Interestingly, Woodrow Avenue, just south of Danforth and running east from Coxwell, was actually named for President Woodrow Wilson, or so I was told when I attended Earl Haig Public School, one block south, also named for a World War I-era figure, and this theme is continued with Currie Avenue, the third street south of Danforth. I guess with Wilson Avenue being in use already in the west end, someone decided that Woodrow would be a good commemoration.

Washington Avenue
Adams Park Gate
Jefferson Avenue
Madison Avenue
Jackson Avenue
Harrison Road
Tyler Place
Lincoln Woods Court
Johnson Farm Lane
Grant Street
Hayes Lane
Garfield Avenue
Arthur Street
Cleveland Street
Roosevelt Road
Wilson Avenue
Harding Boulevard
Kennedy Avenue
Kennedy Road
Ford Street
Bush Drive
Clinton Street

Somebody should create a collage of these street signs and claim that Toronto is in the United States.

Now we know why Jeopardy computer Watson answered "What is Toronto" in a Final Jeopardy category called "US Cities."

Back