News   Jun 24, 2024
 157     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.9K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Star of Downtown, The (Willowfield/Norstar, 12s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

I am glad to report the meetings seem to be a success. All week the stairwell door has been functioning properly and the fire alarms are rare.
I think they are finally taking the residents seriously. I don't know of another meeting being scheduled yet.

So let's hear some predictions for the building registration. (The rip off rent is way too high) The top floor is moving in this week so based on this when do you think it will happen?

Bugeyedbrit, Welcome Home.

I am glad to report the meetings seem to be a success. All week the stairwell door has been functioning properly and the fire alarms are rare.
I think they are finally taking the residents seriously. I don't know of another meeting being scheduled yet.

So let's hear some predictions for the building registration. (The rip off rent is way too high) The top floor is moving in this week so based on this when do you think it will happen?

Bugeyedbrit, Welcome Home.

Not for a very long time. I just picked up my keys (took 3 hours... despite my lawyer getting the docs/cheques/etc from me two days ago). They asked for 8 post-dated cheques, and I would hazard a guess that 8 months is the minimum we're looking at. There's a lot of work that needs to be done. EDIT: But I agree about the ripoff rent. I'm paying a full $800 more than my mortgage will be. Sure, some of that is supposed to represent condo fees for the "common elements"... what common elements? the dust?

In related news, my unit was in laughable condition when I picked up my keys. Status was basically unchanged from my PDI, aside from the painting. So nothing in the master bathroom is functional, the whole place is completely filthy and uninhabitable by any stretch of the imagination. Thankfully I have a sense of humour about the whole thing (even after waiting 3 hours for key release).

Some pics, for the enjoyment of others....

Attachments

• Crappy cabinetry-1.jpg
    Crappy cabinetry-1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 344
  • view from tv room-1.jpg
    view from tv room-1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 310
  • My lovely hardwood-1.jpg
    My lovely hardwood-1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 304
Good grief, what a mess. You sure do have a gentle manner and sense of humour. I'd have to be medicated if I walked in and saw that.

Hey that's nothing to get worked up about! It is very easy to install light/electrical switchplates (I've done it with my hands before) and here's some pretty cool stainless steel ones: http://www.switchhits.com/switchplates_brushed_stainless_light_switch_plates_covers_s.html

Stove and fridge take about 10 minutes to install, max. Important that that step is done last, when the easily cleaned floor is in better shape, to avoid scratching appliances.

So basically, your tiny unit is about 30 minutes away from being inhabited! The kitchen is absurdly small--which is one reason I enjoy my huge 1960's rental....

All you need to do (before you get the appliances installed) is paint the kitchen a funkier colour--green perhaps?, get some fancier stainless steel socket covers, and perhaps "upgrade" to a funky vintage 1950's stove and fridge.

Going for my client's PDI today. It is also the Tribeca Model on the top floor. I will be bring my camera with me as well and noting all the deficiencies. I will let you know how it goes.

Sorry I missed the Sat meeting, will definately make the next one.

My PDI was a complete nightmare. I was not allowed to write in my own words the deficiencies in the unit. The guy doing my PDI had poor English and I overlooked it initially when he was writing out the deficiencies but when it got to the double showerhead, I specifically asked him to write:

"Double showerhead not installed” which he refused to write and said he was told to write: "Purchaser feels that as per the layout, there isn't a double shower head".

That was the last straw for me, I said that I am the one paying for my Tarion warranty so I should be able to write what I feel are the deficiencies in my own words. I completely lost it and I had to call the head office to tell them that I will write what I feel are my deficiencies in my own words to Tarion and they should have hired an impartial company such as PDI pro to do the PDI inspection rather than deploying their own construction workers to do the PDI with instructions of how the Head office wants the deficiencies in the PDI written.

I admit I completely lost it yesterday but when I found out that Head Office was instructing the PDI construction people to write the PDI in a certain way with respect to the double showerhead; I felt this was completely unacceptable.

I was also upset because I took possession of my 7th floor unit on March 18th and put on the PDI as well as the 30 day form that I did not have a kitchen faucet and mentioned every week to the construction office and yesterday the kitchen faucet was still not installed. I may not be living there but I still expect the unit to be in occupancy condition by occupancy date. What a complete joke.

Gentian, if you were the poor guy waiting for the keys in the construction office yesterday afternoon, I am sorry but I was the girl that was completely upset by the PDI situation so I apologize for you having to listen to my complaints. You actually took waiting 3 hours for keys in stride.

That would be me... I was there until just after 4:30.

I remember your ordeal... the first PDI guy was incredibly unreasonable. There shouldn't have been an issue with using your wording.

I had the PDI guy you had on your first go around. Similar sort of issues, but I've decided to rely a lot more on the 30 day form since I'll be living there and able to compile a massive (and it will be massive) list of deficiencies.

the star of st jamestown? maybe. the star of downtown? never!

Walking by the building today, the main entrance was open and I was tempted to look inside. But the appalling lack of taste from some of the residents and the nasty look of this building had me running.... (Where do people buy their curtains? @sally ann?)

I could see no sign of old British sportscars, cute little monkeys or anyone else ( ;) )but did notice how convenient Food Basics is to the building--right across the street--not bad! The area is a bit creepy, but not a total write-off. At 3AM, maybe I'd feel differently?

I almost bought a Sprite as my first car in 1991. A real shame I did not.:(

The Star of Downtown should be popular with Racquetball fans--the Toronto Racquetball Club is right around the corner. This area of town I'm not too familiar with--I walked the Parliament/Gerrard/Sackville/Carleton block today. Overall, it reminds me of that Sprite I yearned for years ago--down at the heels but with some $$$ and TLC could be a real Star of a neighbourhood.

Back