News   Jun 28, 2024
 77     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 261     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 328     0 

Star of Downtown, The (Willowfield/Norstar, 12s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

When the building is registered and turned over a Board of Directors is formed by the owners. If you have thoughts about running for a BoD position do your research first to find out what is involved. What you have read under this thread is only a tiny fraction of the issues you would be directly involved with and making decisions on. You need to commit yourself to dozens of meetings per year in the first few years, learn the Condo Act, deal with lawyers, make tough unpopular decisions, prepare or revise operating budgets, in many cases interview and hire new security companies, property management firms, cleaning companies, contractors and on and on. It can be a very rewarding experience if you have a tough skin and are prepared to commit to the duties at hand but know what you are getting into.

I say do your PDI and list everything deficient. Photograph and video it. Maybe send it to a consumer affairs reporter.

Bugeyedbrit - You definately have to reschedule your PDI date. There's no way they can even get an occupancy permit for your floor. The plumbing is not hooked up, you don't have proper ventilation and your flooring is not installed. What's the point in doing an inspection if there's nothing to inspect. They have to have an occupancy permit before doing your inspection or else they can get fined.

Calling them to reschedule is a definate because we all know they're not going to call you. They're customer service is awful.

Going to Tarion won't help them rush the process but according to Tarion, if they have to delay you anymore than the date given in your last letter (due to flooding), you are entitled to a $100 a day. If they don't mention about it, just go on the tarion website and fill out a form. Send it to tarion right away and they will force the vendor to pay you for each day they delay you.

Tarion is not really to protect the homeowners, they're there for the developers. Their standard for a condominium is minimal.

Too bad the delay for us was a floor or else we would all get reimbursed by Willowfield for the 2 weeks delay.

have rescheduled for Thursday now, though they seemed more upset that I was aware of the state of my unit, than actually resolving why it wasn't ready...I still harbour doubts as to it being ready by Thursday, but we'll see.

thanks to all for the input/advice.

I have my PDI this week too, so I freak out when saw these pics..I immediately called the lawyer...very comforting...according to law as long as it has plumbing, water, electricity, and heating is good to go...ahhh, and on top on that we have to pay $2000 for the occupancy fee...dont know for how long. It is hard to believe this is all true!!! What can of protection do we buyers really have?

I have my PDI this week too, so I freak out when saw these pics..I immediately called the lawyer...very comforting...according to law as long as it has plumbing, water, electricity, and heating is good to go...ahhh, and on top on that we have to pay $2000 for the occupancy fee...dont know for how long. It is hard to believe this is all true!!! What can of protection do we buyers really have?

With respect to the lawyer, but don't floors, wall treatments and fire fighting/prevention equipment have to be ready too?

I warned you guys about this... it's time to stop calling your lawyers and take it to a "media fixer". Really. Do it.

Calling Mitch or other principals is like yelling into your toilet bowl (assumes installation).

I don't think going to the media would be a good idea, especially if we want the value of our condo to go up. Bringing it to the media will just make our building worse than it seems.

I'm fine with the overall look of the building, I'm just very disappointed with the way they delivered it.

I use to be a project coordinator and they definaley have to get the plumbing, electrical, flooring and main walls up in order to allow for anyone to do an inspection and take occupancy. If they don't have those up, the city won't allow for them to perform PDIs.

When the vendor didn't allow for me to put certain deficiencies on my PDI list, I wrote a letter to Tarion stating what the problems were. The lawyers can't really do anything but give you advice, it's a waste of money to go to your lawyer unless you're taking legal action. Whenever there's a major problem in your unit, you should write a letter to the vendor and cc Tarion. As long as you have a record of your deficiencies, Tarion will protect you. Also it's very important to submit your 30 day, if you don't then most likely the vendor will screw you over and not all of your deficiencies will be fixed.

After you submit your 30 day, the vendor has 120 days to repair every item on that list. If they don't finish in time, you call Tarion and request for a conciliation. Tarion's rep will contact you and the vendor to arrange a date to go through your 30 day list. If the vendor doesn't fix all of your deficienies, then they will lose a certain amount of points. These points are important to them because when they lose a certain amount of points, they will lose their liscense to build. If you want to know what's warrantable or what's not, go to www.tarion.com, there is a construction guideline you can read on. This is the guideline that that vendor has to go by. If the vendor loses the conciliation, they then have another 30 days to fix everything or else, tarion will send their own workman and backcharge the vendor.

It sucks because if the vendor doesn't fix everything, we have to go through a 6 month process before everything is resolved but this is the only right way of doing it if you want all of your deficiencies to be corrected.

With the balcony issue, unfortunately it's a common area. We don't really own the balconies and if there's anything wrong with the exterior of the building, we'll have to wait until the tech audit to take place. This won't happen for while, it might even take up a year before this happens, especially with the way they're going with the exterior.

For the condo board, this won't form until after the building is registered because legally the condo is not ours yet.

By the way, does anyone know who's our property manager, I don't think we got that information when we closed. With most developers, when you close, they would provide a booklet with emergency contacts, a manual to walk you through the condo and a nice welcome gift but I guess this vendor is too cheap to give anything.

The lawyers can't really do anything but give you advice, it's a waste of money to go to your lawyer unless you're taking legal action. Whenever there's a major problem in your unit, you should write a letter to the vendor and cc Tarion. As long as you have a record of your deficiencies, Tarion will protect you. Also it's very important to submit your 30 day, if you don't then most likely the vendor will screw you over and not all of your deficiencies will be fixed.

It's critical to have a good real estate lawyer when you buy a home to review the Purchase and Sale Agreement and I'd also use the lawyer for closing.

As much as we may criticize Tridel, I bet they would never pull off stuff like this.

It's critical to have a good real estate lawyer when you buy a home to review the Purchase and Sale Agreement and I'd also use the lawyer for closing.

I don't mean, we don't need a lawyer for closing or to view the APS, what I meant was, it's a waste of money to try to get them involved with getting your deficiencies fixed faster. Lawyers can't really do anything about it, only Tarion can but you have to follow the rules properly.

Tridel is one of the best builders in Toronto. It's hard to deliver a perfect suite but Tridel will do anything to make the homeowners happy, even pay them off if they have to in order to win the JD Powers award.

As much as we may criticize Tridel, I bet they would never pull off stuff like this.

Does Tridel ever get criticized for anything more than boring or awkward architecture*?

*and they've been improving in that aspect recently: see James Cooper Mansion

^almost never... which is extraordinary given the number of projects on the go.

If we could ever talk them into hiring a few good architects to go with their solid (deserved) reputation as a builder.... there'd be a whack of great buildings and happy buyers in the city.

Actually, while the architecture is bland and some of the suburban projects are classic towers in the park, Tridel is well known for its impeccable customer service and buyer satisfaction. They're like the Toyota of condos.

Back