News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 564     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

St Lawrence Market

Another month gone by for this place on King and no change.
"Opening Autumn 2023"' sign still there in the window.
I'm guessing this one is officially DoA.
I suspect so too but January is not a good restaurant month so MAYBE they are sitting it out and will open 'in the spring??

The Jardin de Ville (mainly) outdoor furniture store on Sherbourne between King & Front has closed. Must say never went into it but sad to see yet another vacant store in SLN. There has been a furniture store of some king there for over 25 years.

The Jardin de Ville (mainly) outdoor furniture store on Sherbourne between King & Front has closed. Must say never went into it but sad to see yet another vacant store in SLN. There has been a furniture store of some king there for over 25 years.

I believe that they have moved nearby but will check.

There was never any sign on the doors/windows indicating a move. We bought a chair for our balcony there when we moved to SL a few years ago.

Used to pop in a couple times a year. They have nice stuff, but very $$, and also bigger items not well suited for condo balconies. I remember seeing enough customers that actually bought stuff, but that was pre-Covid.

Today I noticed crews installing wooden hoarding along both sides of the former La Maquette building, next to the sculpture garden.

There are no building permits in the city database for this address yet: is this the start of a renovation for a new tenant, or the start of a long stint as an abandoned building, I wonder?

la-maquette-hoarding.jpg

Today I noticed crews installing wooden hoarding along both sides of the former La Maquette building, next to the sculpture garden.

There are no building permits in the city database for this address yet: is this the start of a renovation for a new tenant, or the start of a long stint as an abandoned building, I wonder?

View attachment 535213
This building (111 King St E) is a City-owned one - they may simply be boarding it up to avoid the vandalism that is all too common around our area.

That was my assumption when I saw it yesterday too. Though the window smashing hasn't been as bad in the last little while as it was in 2022.

That was my assumption when I saw it yesterday too. Though the window smashing hasn't been as bad in the last little while as it was in 2022.
The window smashings have been greatly reduced, thankfully. But I noticed some people had been camping out in the sculpture garden before the weather turned very cold, including under the balcony of the former La Maquette space. That's not ideal obviously and might have raised some concerns. It could be a beautiful building again if it was nicely restored. I hope a good tenant is found for it before too long.

(And ironically, if this hoarding is meant to prevent vandalism, it will likely attract a lot of postering and graffiti. The similar black-painted hoardings around the Corktown Ontario Line construction sites need to be touched up with fresh paint several times a week to keep pace with the taggers.)

The window smashings have been greatly reduced, thankfully. But I noticed some people had been camping out in the sculpture garden before the weather turned very cold, including under the balcony of the former La Maquette space. That's not ideal obviously and might have raised some concerns. It could be a beautiful building again if it was nicely restored. I hope a good tenant is found for it before too long.

(And ironically, if this hoarding is meant to prevent vandalism, it will likely attract a lot of postering and graffiti. The similar black-painted hoardings around the Corktown Ontario Line construction sites need to be touched up with fresh paint several times a week to keep pace with the taggers.)
Well, you ARE City-Painter! :-> Time to get your brushes prepared.

The Works burger joint on Wellington & Church is 'Temporarily Closed" - one day that corner will get decent building but ... (No current Building permit on line so not sure why they are closed.)
Still closed "temporarily" but no obvious work going on and no Building permits.

Back