News   May 09, 2024
 467     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 452     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 745     1 

St Lawrence Market

They were jackhammering up Wellington at Scott this morning. Sigh. Right beside the brand new traffic lights that they just turned on.
Well, it was nice while it lasted!!
IMG_2419[1].JPG

Last edited:
I saw them working on that SW corner last week too. I wonder if this is a fix from the old contract or new work.

This SE corner has the Enwave steam vent where the homeless person was fatally struck by a car one early morning last month. The picture below was from July 18, 2022 when the well accumulated too much ground water from a rainfall.

How ironic that the bollard was damaged the week before the vent picture was taken.

The bollard was removed sometime between July 18, 2022 and Nov 4, 2023. I wonder if this bollard could have saved a life? I’m not sure the exact path of the north bound car or the position of the person on the ground at the time.
image002.jpeg

Nov 5, 2023
IMG_8699.jpeg

I also noticed a couple of new left turn lights at church and front/wellington that are still covered up and not in service yet. I am not sure why they are not working or why replacement lights are needed. So the project is not 100% done.

Bar Ardo?
I think that's what I saw from the Streetcar earlier.
This place on King east of Jarvis is still "coming soon" as of the papered over windows this morning.
Would be nice to have something on that dead stretch to open up before the end of the year!
IIRC the prior tenant TrueTrue took well over four months, maybe even five months to open in that space. Maybe there is something unique to that particular building, but it's once again a long time to lease a property with zero revenue.

Last edited:
I saw them working on that SW corner last week too. I wonder if this is a fix from the old contract or new work.

This SE corner has the Enwave steam vent where the homeless person was fatally struck by a car one early morning last month. The picture below was from July 18, 2022 when the well accumulated too much ground water from a rainfall.

How ironic that the bollard was damaged the week before the vent picture was taken.

The bollard was removed sometime between July 18, 2022 and Nov 4, 2023. I wonder if this bollard could have saved a life? I’m not sure the exact path of the north bound car or the position of the person on the ground at the time.
View attachment 526290

Nov 5, 2023
View attachment 526289

I also noticed a couple of new left turn lights at church and front/wellington that are still covered up and not in service yet. I am not sure why they are not working or why replacement lights are needed. So the project is not 100% done.
I have been asking the City PR person who is/was trying to put the best spin possible on this fiasco; he told me 'the lights were supposed to be finished in fall, I will see what the latest hold-up is'. If I hear back, I will post.

This place on King east of Jarvis is still "coming soon" as of the papered over windows this morning.
Would be nice to have something on that dead stretch to open up before the end of the year!
IIRC the prior tenant TrueTrue took well over four months, maybe even five months to open in that space. Maybe there is something unique to that particular building, but it's once again a long time to lease a property with zero revenue.
Never a good sign when opening keeps on not happening. As there has been a restaurant here before, they presumably have all the vents and drains they need - I am not holding my breath! Remember Char on Wellington that was "Opening Soon" for 2+ years - THAT signage has now gone.

The Works burger joint on Wellington & Church is 'Temporarily Closed" - one day that corner will get decent building but ... (No current Building permit on line so not sure why they are closed.)

Le Papillon on Front has officially closed, posting a message on their website thanking visitors after 50 years in multiple locations.

The O & B Canteen at Yonge & Front has also closed permanently. Biff's Bistro next door is undergoing renovations and apparently moving into the former O & B space and possibly under the new name "Sammarco Steak House" according to building permits.

Le Papillon on Front has officially closed, posting a message on their website thanking visitors after 50 years in multiple locations.

The O & B Canteen at Yonge & Front has also closed permanently. Biff's Bistro next door is undergoing renovations and apparently moving into the former O & B space and possibly under the new name "Sammarco Steak House" according to building permits.
Too bad about Le Papillion. Though I preferred their location on Church (where The Berczy Condo is now); they were a pretty dependable restaurant choice. The space is fantastic so I hope we see another restaurant there. The whole ground level of the O&B, Biff, Frans area between Yonge and Scott on Front is being rationalised, Cafe Landwer is opening where Frans was. Not sure if they are following through on an idea of a few years ago of having a common kitchen area for all the many O&B restaurants in that building (the Jones' at Yonge & Wellington is another) but .....

Not sure if they are following through on an idea of a few years ago of having a common kitchen area for all the many O&B restaurants in that building (the Jones' at Yonge & Wellington is another) but .....
Both the revamped Biffs/Sammarco and The Joneses will be side-by-side, so it's possible they will share kitchen or other facilities. Makes a lot of financial sense, I guess.

I quite like the Landwer location at Yonge & Bloor after a few visits, and it's a large restaurant by downtown Toronto standards. Which makes me wonder whether they will merge the old Biff's space and the old Fran's space to make one larger restaurant here?

That's a stunning space (Papillon) - I really hope another nice restaurant opens there that isn't a corporate chain.

Too bad about Le Papillion. Though I preferred their location on Church (where The Berczy Condo is now); they were a pretty dependable restaurant choice. The space is fantastic so I hope we see another restaurant there. The whole ground level of the O&B, Biff, Frans area between Yonge and Scott on Front is being rationalised, Cafe Landwer is opening where Frans was. Not sure if they are following through on an idea of a few years ago of having a common kitchen area for all the many O&B restaurants in that building (the Jones' at Yonge & Wellington is another) but .....
Bring back Shopsy’s Deli. We’re severely lacking for delis here

Never a good sign when opening keeps on not happening. As there has been a restaurant here before, they presumably have all the vents and drains they need - I am not holding my breath! Remember Char on Wellington that was "Opening Soon" for 2+ years - THAT signage has now gone.

Another month gone by for this place on King and no change.
"Opening Autumn 2023"' sign still there in the window.
I'm guessing this one is officially DoA.

Back