News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

St Lawrence Market

All this talk of St. Lawrence Market is a handy reminder to me that it's one of the few places downtown where I can find Niederegger marzipan! 🤤
Never heard of that before. I had to look that up. Not available at this time on Amazon.
IMG_5929.jpeg

It's so, so yummy. There are several brands of marzipan available, but Niederegger is by far the best (at least here - in Germany there are supposedly even better ones) due to the higher percentage of almond paste.
Neideregger is "the best." They used to always carry it at Christmastime at Flatiron's Christmasmarket, but not last year -- you can usually find it at either Scheffler's Deli or Domino Foods in the basement. Dangerous things... you cannot stop once you start.

It's so, so yummy. There are several brands of marzipan available, but Niederegger is by far the best (at least here - in Germany there are supposedly even better ones) due to the higher percentage of almond paste.

Yep, I thought I disliked marzipan until I tried Niederegger - now I can't get enough of it. I still have an unopened box left over from Xmas (I ordered a batch from London Drugs online).

AoD

The everlasting work on Wellington drags on.

1. The TTC now has all the new poles they need and seems to be moving ahead with new overhead from Church/King to Wellington to York north the King. To my surprise, they are not replacing the 5 or 6 older/thinner poles on York but ...
2. Several of the new trees on Wellington are dying, no doubt the idea of watering new trees did not occur to Sanscon.
3. Several of the new Victorian pedestrian lights on both Front & wellington remain in bags and others do not work. Did someone forget the wiring?
4. The (useless in my opinion, traffic lights ate Scott & ellington are not working.
5. One or two of the new traffic lights at Front/Church/Wellington are not working.

There are more utility locates painted in the area, more excavation?

The everlasting work on Wellington drags on.

1. The TTC now has all the new poles they need and seems to be moving ahead with new overhead from Church/King to Wellington to York north the King. To my surprise, they are not replacing the 5 or 6 older/thinner poles on York but ...
2. Several of the new trees on Wellington are dying, no doubt the idea of watering new trees did not occur to Sanscon.
3. Several of the new Victorian pedestrian lights on both Front & wellington remain in bags and others do not work. Did someone forget the wiring?
4. The (useless in my opinion, traffic lights ate Scott & ellington are not working.
5. One or two of the new traffic lights at Front/Church/Wellington are not working.

There are more utility locates painted in the area, more excavation?

I saw the dead trees last week, almost all of them around the restaurant patios appear to be yellowing. I notice they're all a different type from the others, which seem to be doing okay. What a shame.

All the spraypainted markings on the new sidewalks made me very apprehensive that things will be dug up again.

I was told there was an accident at Wellington and Scott recently -- a taxi on Wellington t-boned a car crossing the other direction. Leaving that intersection semi-completed with non-operational signals for so long is a bad idea from a safety standpoint. Of course drivers should be aware and cautious, but, you know...

Looks like a Kinton Ramen going into one of the long-vacant retail units on the north side of the former Sun building near King E and Berkeley.

Foot traffic in the area has really picked up in the last 6 months or so, with more people back in the office, so I think this place will do well, at least on Mon to Fri.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations
Application#: 23 187819 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date: Aug 14, 2023
Project: Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats
Work: Interior Alterations
Description: Interior alterations to unit 40 for restaurant Kinton Ramen (52 seats), add kitchen exhaust and add plumbing fixtures

The TTC have now put up all the overhead supporting structure on Wellington from King to Wellington to York to King and has now strung the copper wire all the way too – but this is not yet properly attached to the hangers. It may actually be operational soon.

How soon? This wire looks too close to me. We shall see it’s final location.
View attachment 501978
I think they strung the copper wire last night - it is obviously not yet properly attached to the 'hangers' and is tied to them with rope but it's a good sign. Steve Munro said a while ago that the TTC hope to get the 503 'back on track' by Thanksgiving and this certainly seems feasible. I think a streetcar has not run on Wellington for 4 or 5 years.

The TTC have now put up all the overhead supporting structure on Wellington from King to Wellington to York to King and has now strung the copper wire all the way too – but this is not yet properly attached to the hangers. It may actually be operational soon.
The overhead copper wire is now attached to the hangers - though not connected at the King St ends and I am not sure if there is any power but the TTCs plans to run the 503 streetcar on its actual route in October may actually happen.

Back