News   May 10, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

St Lawrence Market

I guess they approved the change order to relocate the traffic light. It only took 8 weeks.
This controlled intersection looks ready to go and it can’t be soon enough. If you stand there for 10 minutes you will see a close call between users.

IMG_6806.jpeg

Last edited:
TTC contractor possibly powering the Wellington east street car line last night. I was hoping for the traffic light but no luck.
View attachment 508033
I understand that the 503 streetcar will be back on Wellington in mid-October. I think it last ran there about a decade ago as the tracks were cut during all the work for Berczy Park, which (I think) opened in 2014.

Movin' along...

1696166804509.png

The City project to install a new watermain on The Esplanade (and a few adjacent streets like George South & Wilton) is due to start in next few months and run until this time next year. When it is done the Cycling Team will be installing the raised bike track etc and then the work on the Park itself can start.

Last edited:
According to Steve Munro, the 501 streetcars eastbound will shortly be running via WELLINGTON. The 503 seems to be remaining on King as now but will, soon, be streetcars again not a bus.

501D Queen streetcars will operate between York Street at King Street West and Neville Park Loop via south on Church Street, west on Wellington Street, north on York Street, east on King Street, and north on Church Street.

The street car system has power available now.

Sept 25 and Oct 2
IMG_7140.jpeg

IMG_3132.jpeg

No power on the south side pole lights on Wellington.
IMG_3133.jpeg

Reactions: DSC
Spotted the old True True space on King now has a sign in the front window advertising a "coming soon". I missed the name, though I think it was "Bara" something.
I did see it said "opening autumn 2023," so sometime in a month or so, I guess? They would certainly want to get the Christmas/New Years money in.

Spotted the old True True space on King now has a sign in the front window advertising a "coming soon". I missed the name, though I think it was "Bara" something.
I did see it said "opening autumn 2023," so sometime in a month or so, I guess? They would certainly want to get the Christmas/New Years money in.
Bar Ardo?
I think that's what I saw from the Streetcar earlier.

Bar Ardo?
I think that's what I saw from the Streetcar earlier.
According to an online bartender job listing for 169 King East: "Bar Ardo is a new cocktail bar that is set to open in November, following the renowned Michelin recognized ARDO Restaurant." There's also mention on the Ardo Instagram that they have a third location in the works, so this must be it. November seems ambitious, but maybe they are keeping a lot of the existing infrastructure leftover from the True True Diner, which was pretty decent.

Transportation failed to report back as instructed so the 'temporary closure' has been extended to fall 2024! (or will be when TEYCC passes this motion.)

TE8.38 - Extending the Market Street Closure between Front Street East and The Esplanade​

Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 13 - Toronto Centre

Origin​

(September 29, 2023) Letter from Councillor Chris Moise

Recommendations​

It is recommended that the Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to extend the temporary closure of Market Street between Front Street East and The Esplanade until November 30, 2024 and direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to report back by the third quarter of 2024 to the Toronto and East York Community Council with recommendations regarding closing this section of Market Street permanently.

2. Direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to work with stakeholders and the St. Lawrence Business Improvement Area to come up with solutions for deliveries and waste collection, as required, through the permitting for the closure.

Summary​

At our meeting on February 23, 2023 we authorized the General Manager, Transportation Services to temporarily close Market Street between Front Street East and The Esplanade from June 1, 2023 to October 15, 2023 and to report back by our June 22, 2023 meeting with recommendations regarding closing this section of Market Street permanently.

This closure this past summer was very well received by the local community and tourists who flocked to the area. We haven’t received a report back and now the temporary closure period is set to expire without recommendations on moving towards a permanent closure. I am requesting an extension of the temporary closure until such a time staff bring back a report with the recommendations for the permanent closure.

Background Information​

(September 29, 2023) Letter from Councillor Chris Moise on Extending the Market Street Closure between Front Street East and The Esplanade
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-239623.pdf

According to Steve Munro, the 501 streetcars eastbound will shortly be running via WELLINGTON. The 503 seems to be remaining on King as now but will, soon, be streetcars again not a bus.

501D Queen streetcars will operate between York Street at King Street West and Neville Park Loop via south on Church Street, west on Wellington Street, north on York Street, east on King Street, and north on Church Street.
IMG_7361.jpeg

Yes, yesterday one got stuck behind a garbage truck @ The Works - the garbage guys were being very laid back! Of course, the TTC failed to put back several STOP signs on the new poles (e.g. @ Yonge) but ......
The TTC shook off the long-weekend lethargy and put up temporary (paper) stop signage - better late than never but one must wonder why they did not put up proper metal signage - this street re-opening has been promised for many months!

The installation of the long-promised traffic lights at Front & Frederick is due to start in the next couple of weeks. With the (newish) traffic arrangements on The Esplanade, a lot more traffic has been 'forced' to use Frederick and getting across Front (especially at rush hours) is not easy. I am not in favour of the knee-jerk reaction to install traffic lights whenever a problem is perceived but in this case they are probably a good idea.

Back