News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

St Lawrence Market

I regret to report that several of the new trees on Wellington appear to be dying. As Sanscon were involved I am not surprised and they appear to have done no watering and it is unclear if they (or the City) tested the watering system. The BIA (who paid part of the cost) are 'on it" and I reported it to the City myself but others (@Northern Light !!) may want to chime in. This has really been an AMAZINGLY poorly managed project with a contractor (Sanscon) who seems to have LOT of problems. See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/ia/bgrd/backgroundfile-237381.pdf

I regret to report that several of the new trees on Wellington appear to be dying. As Sanscon were involved I am not surprised and they appear to have done no watering and it is unclear if they (or the City) tested the watering system. The BIA (who paid part of the cost) are 'on it" and I reported it to the City myself but others (@Northern Light !!) may want to chime in. This has really been an AMAZINGLY poorly managed project with a contractor (Sanscon) who seems to have LOT of problems. See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/ia/bgrd/backgroundfile-237381.pdf

Well they are called Sanscon. Sans means without, con is short for construction?

At least the City thinks it's all done!

Wellington Construction Update

July 27, 2023

All road work, sidewalks and underground electrical works have been completed on Wellington St E. The activation of the new traffic light at Scott St and Wellington St E will be activated within the coming weeks.

Future notice will be provided before the traffic light is activated. The general contractor is in the process of removing all equipment and construction materials from the site and Wellington St E will be fully opened to pedestrians and vehicles by Friday July 28.

They fail to note that several of the 'Victorian Lights" are still covered in black plastic bags and that several of the newly planted trees appear to be dead or dying and that many were not planted in the centre of the tree pit holes so are likely to be 'confined'.
Comments can be addressed directly to the City's PR person with the unenviable job of spinning the best story on this amazingly poorly managed contract! Paul.Martin@toronto.ca

This is for @DSC but others are welcome to chime in, of course.

I just returned from visiting friends and family in Montreal and Boston. I travelled all over the two cities, which I love. I noticed that all of their streetlights have been changed to LEDs. I noticed because my night vision was much better there than here.

Walking around St. Lawrence and the rest of the city, I see a hodge-lodge of sodium vapour (orange) and HID (white) lights, both of which are garbage IMO (My lighting terminology might be wrong as I'm not an expert.) The new lights on the revamped stretch of Wellingotn are LEDs and they're great on my eyes.

My questions are:
Why is there such inconsistency in our street lighting?
Is there a plan to actively and vigorously switch our lighting over to LED?

Last edited:
This is for @DS but others are welcome to chime in, of course.

I just returned from visiting friends and family in Montreal and Boston. I travelled all over the two cities, which I love. I noticed that all of their streetlights have been changed to LEDs. I noticed because my night vision was much better there than here.

Walking around St. Lawrence and the rest of the city, I see a hodge-lodge of sodium vapour (orange) and HID (white) lights, both of which are garbage IMO (My lighting terminology might be wrong as I'm not an expert.) The new lights on the revamped stretch of Wellingotn are LEDs and they're great on my eyes.

My questions are:
Why is there such inconsistency in our street lighting?
Is there a plan to actively and vigorously switch our lighting over to LED?
You and I share the same dislike of the mixtures of streetlighting lighting types (colours) we have here. The City and THSL are moving (VERY slowly) to LED and the new lights on Wellington from Church to York are all LED. When they fixed up Front from Jarvis to Parliament a few years ago they installed all 'white light' but since then a few sodium have crept in. The reason is that the City has no money and THSL cannot spend 'regular customer' money on streetlights so all costs must come from the City. This thread has some info: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/street-lighting.30753/page-7 This from 2022 is 'hopeful'.... Will we ever get this Report?

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-228414.pdf

Relevant section of the report:

1657033611098.png

You and I share the same dislike of the mixtures of streetlighting lighting types (colours) we have here. The City and THSL are moving (VERY slowly) to LED and the new lights on Wellington from Church to York are all LED. When they fixed up Front from Jarvis to Parliament a few years ago they installed all 'white light' but since then a few sodium have crept in. The reason is that the City has no money and THSL cannot spend 'regular customer' money on streetlights so all costs must come from the City. This thread has some info: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/street-lighting.30753/page-7 This from 2022 is 'hopeful'.... Will we ever get this Report?

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-228414.pdf

Relevant section of the report:

1657033611098.png
@DSC Aren't we at or past the end of the second quarter of 2023? Thanks for the info.

David Crombie Park is being revitalized to respond to the current and future needs of the community. A conceptual park design was developed through extensive community engagement in Phase One, from 2018 - 2020.

Phase Two is currently underway, where improvements will be made based on the approved conceptual park design. City divisions are working closely together to deliver the park revitalization alongside cycle track improvements on The Esplanade for a seamless integration of the park and public realm.

Learn more about the projects, meet City staff and design team members at a pop-up on:
Friday, August 11 from 1:00PM - 3:00 PM

Look for the blue tent between the wading pool and Frederick Street.

For more information, contact:
Nancy Chater, Project Manager
Nancy.Chater@toronto.ca
416-338-5237

The City are running a Survey on improvements needed in Downtown East. It MAY be worth completing!

All this talk of St. Lawrence Market is a handy reminder to me that it's one of the few places downtown where I can find Niederegger marzipan! 🤤

Back