News   May 10, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

St Lawrence Market

Pictures from last night and this morning for the record if someone is keeping count on the number of construction passes on this section of street.
IMG_5012.jpeg

I didn’t check if the measuring wheel was still there this morning.

IMG_5009.jpeg

I have not figured out what the last pole was for.
IMG_5014.jpeg

Pictures from last night and this morning for the record if someone is keeping count on the number of construction passes on this section of street.
View attachment 485456

I didn’t check if the measuring wheel was still there this morning.

View attachment 485457

I have not figured out what the last pole was for.
View attachment 485455
1. I always wanted one of those measuring wheels!
2. I think that many at the City and at Sanscon cannot count so the extra black pole may be the result - or else they installed one too few!

News Release

June 16, 2023

St. Lawrence Market launches summer programming with Pride Brunch, Sunday Variety vintage market, live music performances and more

St. Lawrence Market is ready to celebrate summer with free, family-friendly programming. The Market is excited to partner with several Toronto-based organizations and community staples to bring diverse programming, including live music and dance performances, new shopping experiences, outdoor food and drink vendors, and more.

Summer events at the Market will enliven a pedestrian-only Market Street from Front Street to The Esplanade. The area will remain closed to vehicular traffic through the end of September and be used as a vibrant public space, community hub and urban park.

This Sunday, St. Lawrence Market will kick off summer programming with the following events:

Pride Brunch on Market Street

Date: June 18 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Location: Market Street between Front St. E. and The Esplanade The St. Lawrence Market will be hosting Pride Brunch as an official major cultural partner of Pride Toronto. Market vendors will be set up all along Market Street to serve tasty brunch plates, snacks and drinks. Visitors can enjoy free DJ sets, live music, and drag performances. Performers include DJ Lytes, Yarro, Just Peachy, Jayjay Kings and more. Anastarzia Anaquway will headline the day's events.

Sunday Variety vintage market

Dates: Sunday, June 18, from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Location: Temporary Market at 125 The Esplanade A new vintage market launches at 125 The Esplanade! The event will take over the Temporary Market space throughout the summer. Shoppers can expect various vendors, including artisan goods, antiques, home décor, vintage clothing, gourmet snacks, beverages and more. This event is organized by the team behind the wildly popular Hippie Market pop-ups throughout Toronto. For more information on the Sunday Variety vintage market, visit https://can01.safelinks.protection....TZw+3wPrwzmQ0VylQ3PpfQYZyHc3z2YCs=&reserved=0.

For a full list of summer programs and events at the St. Lawrence Market Complex, visit https://can01.safelinks.protection....iCk8v0unaCY3jSS+lK5ZV8F3ZdVKdtIrc=&reserved=0.

Wellington Construction Update

June 16, 2023

Road work on Wellington St E is nearing completion. Our contractor will be working on grinding and paving the last stretch of road on the south side of Wellington St E. During paving operations there will be short term road closures that will de directed by traffic control personnel.

Over the next two weeks our contractor will be removing materials and equipment from the work zone.
Traffic light activation will take place once all road work has been completed. Prior notice will be provided when new traffic signals are activated at Scott St and Wellington St E.

Below is a list of contractor activities that will be completed within the coming weeks.

• Energizing street lighting on Wellington St
  • Building Scott St Signals and street lighting
  • Permanent traffic signal activation of Church intersection
  • Granite seat-wall installation at church and Wellington intersection
  • Grinding/Paving of roadway around Scott/Wellington
  • General clean-up throughout job site

The empty retail space along the Jarvis side is getting a tenant. Photos taken 19 June.
IMG_2660.jpeg
IMG_2661.jpeg

The empty retail space along the Jarvis side is getting a tenant. Photos taken 19 June.

Is that the Market Wharf building? Wow, that retail has been empty since... forever.

I recently noticed some activity up on King Street East, as well. There a "leased" sign again in the window of 173 King St E (formerly The Poet Cafe) and I noticed some sort of construction or cleanup work underway in 169 King St E (formerly True True Pizza/Diner). The unit between those, 171 King St E (Formerly Hiro Sushi) has a 2022 permit for a dental office. Maybe the neighbourhood is slowly pulling out of the pandemic-era retail collapse, hard to be too optimistic yet but it's a start.

Is that the Market Wharf building? Wow, that retail has been empty since... forever.

I recently noticed some activity up on King Street East, as well. There a "leased" sign again in the window of 173 King St E (formerly The Poet Cafe) and I noticed some sort of construction or cleanup work underway in 169 King St E (formerly True True Pizza/Diner). The unit between those, 171 King St E (Formerly Hiro Sushi) has a 2022 permit for a dental office. Maybe the neighbourhood is slowly pulling out of the pandemic-era retail collapse, hard to be too optimistic yet but it's a start.
This is not first time we have signage on that Jarvis Street Market Wharf retail. It is a DREADFUL location so if this actually opens I suspect it will not last long.

^Though I would agree with you when the building was built I think that there has been so much growth to the south of here that Jarvis is becoming a bit of a High Street as more people use it to get between the two neighborhoods. Also many of these types of establishments have clientele that will travel to where their favourite provider is located as opposed to relying on walk-in traffic. We will see! Lol

That part of Jarvis is a car sewer, so nobody wants to walk or bike there. I doubt anything between Front and Lakeshore would ever be successful.

That part of Jarvis is a car sewer, so nobody wants to walk or bike there. I doubt anything between Front and Lakeshore would ever be successful.
Most pedestrians walk on the east sidewalk of Jarvis as it is (marginally) less unpleasant and even there the retail that was there a few years ago was converted to TCHC offices.

The Shoppers does ok there, but that's as far south as most people go, unless you want to undergo the ordeal of crossing the Gardiner/Lakeshore, which you always want to do as quickly as possible.

The pizza place there is actually quite nice, though there is almost nobody there most days, so I doubt it will last. We've gotten pizza a few times and eaten on the lawn.

I haven't been to the burger place, but I heard it isn't great.

The pizza place there is actually quite nice, though there is almost nobody there most days, so I doubt it will last. We've gotten pizza a few times and eaten on the lawn.

I haven't been to the burger place, but I heard it isn't great.
Not to be too anal but these are south of the rail berm and thus not in St Lawrence.

Back