News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 996     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Spadina Streetcar Track Repairs (TTC, U/C)

Tracks removed around Spadina Crescent.

attachment.php

Attachments

• spadinacr.jpg
    spadinacr.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,537
Looks like they're prepparing to pull up all the tracks south of Front soon. And Spadina south of King is down to just 2 lanes now. I pitty the fool that has to commute to Oakville each day.

It really is terrible at rush hour going south. I can walk to my place in Cityplace getting off the bus at King quicker than it takes the bus to Fort York Boulevard.

Took these on my trip up Spadina this afternoon.

PKeuv.jpg

kqL5h.jpg

Will Enbridge rip up all these tracks in 6 months to put new gas lines underneath? And then Toronto Hydro will rip them up 6 months after that? I kid. But seriously, it would be great if all our new roads stayed unmolested for a few years.

I'm more upset about the fact that the tracks were originally very nicely landscaped and no effort whatsoever went in to preserve that. It's just a little bit of labour every 20 years for god's sake.

You can tell the people from the planning department at city hall and the ttc live in the suburbs.

Does anyone seriously drive downtown from Oakville? Don't they all take the GO train? Who the hell would want to sit in Gardiner traffic?

I live at Richmond & Augusta and though I am lucky enought to walk to work I do drive about once or twice a month. Right now it is pretty frustrating because you literally can not get to the highway to get out of the city. Spadina is a parking lot. Everyone is already heading to the Jameson exit which is also not great now. Comments about people's choice to drive are not really practical as driving sometimes is sort of a requirement in our city. Noting that this came from someone in our city's planning department is also sort of telling.

The construction work initially had signs up saying the expected completion was September 2012 - but at the rate they are going September 2013 seems more realistic. Lastly I also bemoan the downgrading in the quality of the landscaping. There used to be a brick base which has now been replaced by sollid concrete.

Lastly I also bemoan the downgrading in the quality of the landscaping. There used to be a brick base which has now been replaced by sollid concrete.

It wasn't actual brick, just concrete with a brick pattern imprinted on it -- but I agree that it looks nice, and it's a shame that it's gradually being replaced with plain flat concrete whenever repairs are done. I guess a similar fate eventually awaits the nice paving on St. Clair.

It wasn't actual brick, just concrete with a brick pattern imprinted on it -- but I agree that it looks nice, and it's a shame that it's gradually being replaced with plain flat concrete whenever repairs are done. I guess a similar fate eventually awaits the nice paving on St. Clair.

Too bad they couldn't replace with grass (real or artificial), instead of concrete. But we can't have grass else the car-lobby would get upset.

7-light-rail-train.jpg

12328091_00e6b8a7d3_o.jpg

307000226_ca31b52ebf.jpg

1345069052_c9370fa6ab.jpg

But Austria, Germany, and other northern European countries are so much warmer than Toronto, grass wouldn't grow here. Weeds more likely.

In that case, line the tracks with gravel, covered by artificial turf. The benefits of grass without the maintenance issues. It also means future repairs mean simply lifting the turf and digging out the gravel.

I prefer to see grass in these ROW where it can go in then just plain concrete.

The T3 in Paris have switches in the grass also
7960562278_bf19cb0b5a_b.jpg

7960583598_b64c6ce116_b.jpg

Barcelona Spain
8001801990_b88c9ccb37_b.jpg

8001800634_d9bf67cb0a_b.jpg

Nice France is all asphalt or pavers

8022854990_74bb7439e9_b.jpg

It will be interesting to see what this area looks like with the pavers after 10-15 years of use. TTC is not the only system having issues with stone/pavers between the rail. Frankfurt was tearing out a huge area the night before I left near my hotel.
8022863935_aff692a946_b.jpg

Too bad they couldn't replace with grass (real or artificial), instead of concrete. But we can't have grass else the car-lobby would get upset.
It wasn't the notorious car lobby (which is clearly responsible for all the evils in the city), it was the even more heinous fire truck lobby.

Back