News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

Spadina Streetcar Track Repairs (TTC, U/C)

Are they going to rip up the entire Spadina/King intersection too? Or are the tracks new enough there that they can just leave it be?

Looks like they're prepparing to pull up all the tracks south of Front soon. And Spadina south of King is down to just 2 lanes now. I pitty the fool that has to commute to Oakville each day.

I don't. It's their choice to drive, and to live where they do.

Does anyone seriously drive downtown from Oakville? Don't they all take the GO train? Who the hell would want to sit in Gardiner traffic?

Lots of 'em drive. I know a few personally.

Oakville has some tremendous people working in their marketing department! For such a relatively small town....it sure has profile.

It might just be that there are a fair number of people headed onto that Gardiner that live in larger population areas that do not have the luxury of relying on full GO train service ;)

Speaking of tearing down, they're about to tear down Toyota on Front! Demolition fences around it and all the signage removed today when I walked past it on the way to work. That's been an institution on that corner ever since I was a little kid. I guess there's a thread on that somewhere.

Spadina Crescent is coming along:

attachment.php

Northbound tracks (on east side) appear to be close to finished:

attachment.php

This question has probably already been asked, but what exactly was wrong with the rails that caused this need for replacement?

This question has probably already been asked, but what exactly was wrong with the rails that caused this need for replacement?

It was poorly built. It made it 16 years, but when you build things cheaply it wares out sooner than it should. The worst part is it was done intentionally to save money.

It's only south of King that a long stretch of track is being fully replaced -- elsewhere on the line they're just addressing trouble spots here and there. The track south of King was 22 years old, having opened for the Harbourfront streetcar in 1990. It was built to poor standards and had gotten into terrible shape. The difference was obvious if you rode a streetcar southbound on Spadina -- as soon as you passed King the ride got much worse, with the wheels howling and the car pitching around.

I hope that since concrete is being used around the streetcar tracks, that it will be stamped in the same way as the old concrete. The old concrete had a block pattern that added a nice element of texture. It complimented the ornamental granite blocks used in the landscaping around the ROW.

It's only south of King that a long stretch of track is being fully replaced -- elsewhere on the line they're just addressing trouble spots here and there. The track south of King was 22 years old, having opened for the Harbourfront streetcar in 1990. It was built to poor standards and had gotten into terrible shape. The difference was obvious if you rode a streetcar southbound on Spadina -- as soon as you passed King the ride got much worse, with the wheels howling and the car pitching around.

It's not just that that particular track was built worse - although it was - but mainly that the track south of King was almost 10 years older than elsewhere on Spadina. It was built as part of the Harbourfront LRT which opened in June 1990, and while it wasn't regular service it did still see a lot of use prior to the Spadina line opening in 1997.

As for elsewhere on the line, specialwork - the catch-all term for curves, switches and crossings - is simply not designed to last as long as tangent track. That's why it is being replaced now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Another factor was the weight of the CLRVs...

This argument needs to disappear. The new streetcars on order are heavier per axle than both the CLRV's and the ALRV's they are replacing.

The tracks were simply built poorly for the rolling stock; CLRVs are not unusually heavy for a modern tram.

Last edited:

Back