News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Spadina Streetcar Track Repairs (TTC, U/C)

I had a look at Queen & Spadina today to see how things were progressing. The grand union itself seems to be finished (they were steamrolling the asphalt around it) and the basic concrete form of the new, longer streetcar island on Queen east of Spadina is there. However, the track bed just north and south of the intersection still needs to be poured, and I guess that and the other islands and track bed account for the November completion date.

One thing I noticed further north on Spadina was that the new curbs of the streetcar islands had big trapezoidal notches cut out of them. Something to do with how the new LRVs will line up with the stop? Or the ramps?

The aforementioned new streetcar platform on Queen, east of Spadina.

attachment.php

That's a good looking platform.

BTW, I give it 3 months before Enbridge digs all this up to replace something underground. They like to wait till the road is finished and smooth before they start their work.

Gah, don't say that!

You can't really see it clearly in the photo but the platform is wired for something (lighting? fare vending machines?), so I would hope Enbridge had their input into the electrical side of things when they still had an opportunity. But we'll have to see about your prediction in the fall ...

You can't really see it clearly in the photo but the platform is wired for something (lighting? fare vending machines?), so I would hope Enbridge had their input into the electrical side of things when they still had an opportunity. But we'll have to see about your prediction in the fall ...

The RFP for the new platforms on Spadina required them to be pre-wired for future fare vending machines. Not sure if the Queen St platform here falls under the same contract, but it's likely it's still being wired for fare vending machines just the same.

The RFP for the new platforms on Spadina required them to be pre-wired for future fare vending machines. Not sure if the Queen St platform here falls under the same contract, but it's likely it's still being wired for fare vending machines just the same.
I'd assume that any new platform like this would be pre-wired for both the fare vending machines, and also the Next Vehicle Arrival Screens.

When did the intersection re-open?

I was driving along Queen this morning to drop someone somewhere and as I approached Spadina I thought "duh, you idiot, this intersection is closed"...turned out that it was just a red light stopping the cars a ahead of me and I cruised on through! Must say, I have never seen Queen so quiet at 8 a.m.!

I'd assume that any new platform like this would be pre-wired for both the fare vending machines, and also the Next Vehicle Arrival Screens.

What happened to that project? I only know of three stops that have them King EB @ Spadina, Dundas EB @ Spadina, and Broadview Station. I'm talking specifically about the LED signs in shelters. Are there any more out there? Have any been installed out of downtown?

What happened to that project? I only know of three stops that have them King EB @ Spadina, Dundas EB @ Spadina, and Broadview Station. I'm talking specifically about the LED signs in shelters. Are there any more out there? Have any been installed out of downtown?
The TTC website has a page that discusses this http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pro...ves/Next_vehicle_information_system/index.jsp -

It mentions there is currently 5 street shelters (can't think what the other 2 are), and 52 coming. This time last year, it said 52 coming in 2011. In last night's twitter chat, Chris Upfold mentioned that they are planning up to 250 "when we have the funding". He also implied that they may try putting route numbers on the stops.

That's a good looking platform.

BTW, I give it 3 months before Enbridge digs all this up to replace something underground. They like to wait till the road is finished and smooth before they start their work.

Utilities cutting into a freshly-paved road or sidewalk makes me cringe, and it's still routine. I can't say that that platform looks good, though. Hopefully the shelter and railings will have a strong design, but poured concrete paving is the kind of cheapness we should be avoiding in areas like this prominent intersection, particularly around our iconic streetcar network.

When did the intersection re-open?

I was driving along Queen this morning to drop someone somewhere and as I approached Spadina I thought "duh, you idiot, this intersection is closed"...turned out that it was just a red light stopping the cars a ahead of me and I cruised on through! Must say, I have never seen Queen so quiet at 8 a.m.!

It reopened on Monday. I think they timed it so it would be two full work weeks but I'm not sure everyone realized it would be just two weeks - traffic was just as heavy on Front, Richmond, etc. during the afternoon rush later that day as it had been when the project had just started.

There one on Bathurst n/b north of King Street just south of Adelaide. (Oddly as this is hardly a busy stop!)

The aforementioned new streetcar platform on Queen, east of Spadina.

The end of the platform away from the intersection (foreground) has a sharp corner sticking into the asphalt. What the heck is the plan for that? Shouldn't it be angled to meet the unpaved border the portable fences are sitting on?

The end of the platform away from the intersection (foreground) has a sharp corner sticking into the asphalt. What the heck is the plan for that? Shouldn't it be angled to meet the unpaved border the portable fences are sitting on?

I think that is where the large yellow "buffers" go to stop cars running onto the new platform.

Back