News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 890     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

Spadina Streetcar Track Repairs (TTC, U/C)

That looks more like it was taken facing east, away from Parkside, closer to Claude Ave, since you can see St Joseph's on the left and the tower on the right:

http://goo.gl/maps/rqwM

The name of the street was to have been Queen Street West, but they settled on The Queensway instead. And yes, it is facing east ON Queen Street West.

That looks more like it was taken facing east, away from Parkside, closer to Claude Ave, since you can see St Joseph's on the left and the tower on the right:

http://goo.gl/maps/rqwM
The photo was of "Queen St West". It did not specify the direction the photo was facing. You are definitely correct in your assessment.

[edit] oops, shows me for taking so long to reply.

The photo was of "Queen St West". It did not specify the direction the photo was facing. You are definitely correct in your assessment.

[edit] oops, shows me for taking so long to reply.

Thanks. I think in terms of the name, W.K. was addressing Coruscanti's question about Queen W being renamed The Queensway. In reality, that's not what happened.

The photo probably shows the construction of the Queensway around the time that the Gardiner was being built. Previously, Queen W ran to King/Roncesvalles as it does now, connecting to 'Lake Shore Rd' (as it was), which ended up being south of the Gardiner. Lake Shore ran to the Humber, where it connected to what seems to have been called Queen St (no 'West') again.

At the same time (about 100 years ago), it appears that another Queen St existed west of Windermere to the Humber, north of Lake Shore, possibly where Windermere Pl is now, and was projected eastward across High Park to meet with Keele (Parkside) and Indian Rd. That obviously didn't come to be.

http://data2.archives.ca/e/e431/e010762219-v8.jpg

As for the Queensway name, it may have been connected to that of the South Kingsway (which is the southern stretch of Jane).

Thanks. I think in terms of the name, W.K. was addressing Coruscanti's question about Queen W being renamed The Queensway. In reality, that's not what happened.

The photo probably shows the construction of the Queensway around the time that the Gardiner was being built. Previously, Queen W ran to King/Roncesvalles as it does now, connecting to 'Lake Shore Rd' (as it was), which ended up being south of the Gardiner. Lake Shore ran to the Humber, where it connected to what seems to have been called Queen St (no 'West') again.

At the same time (about 100 years ago), it appears that another Queen St existed west of Windermere to the Humber, north of Lake Shore, possibly where Windermere Pl is now, and was projected eastward across High Park to meet with Keele (Parkside) and Indian Rd. That obviously didn't come to be.

http://data2.archives.ca/e/e431/e010762219-v8.jpg

As for the Queensway name, it may have been connected to that of the South Kingsway (which is the southern stretch of Jane).

Before they built the Queensway, Queen Street West existed west of Roncesvalles (only as far as Claude Ave or Indian Rd or so). It was a minor street compared to today, but did provide access to St. Joseph's Hospital and the southern access to Roncesvalles Yard.

The Queensway project involved rebuilding this segment, extending it, and renaming as we see today.

Before they built the Queensway, Queen Street West existed west of Roncesvalles (only as far as Claude Ave or Indian Rd or so). It was a minor street compared to today, but did provide access to St. Joseph's Hospital and the southern access to Roncesvalles Yard.

The Queensway project involved rebuilding this segment, extending it, and renaming as we see today.

Ah, good to know.

Question: was the 1997 Spadina trackage and the Grand Union at Queen St. built to the standards of the previous track renewal program (from the late 80s)? I think it was widely acknowledged that that program of track renewal was an absolute disaster for reliability and quality, hence the need to replace Spadina barely 15 years after it opened.

Question: was the 1997 Spadina trackage and the Grand Union at Queen St. built to the standards of the previous track renewal program (from the late 80s)? I think it was widely acknowledged that that program of track renewal was an absolute disaster for reliability and quality, hence the need to replace Spadina barely 15 years after it opened.

The trackage used on Spadina was built to much better standards than that in the 1970s and 1980s, but not quite as well as that today. There is no encapsulation of the rail, and intersections were built entirely on creosoted wooden ties, rather than the mix used today.

The replacement of the intersections now stems more from use than from poor construction.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I was down on Queen West this evening. There was a lineup to get in the Black Bull. There was line up to get in The Rivoli. There was a line up to get in whatever that place is called where Ultra used to be.

I thought business had collapsed?? Someone from CityTV was even doing a segment on how packed the patios were. I'm sure they will still run with the "carmageddon" narrative for ratings though.

One thing that was amusing was the massive lineup of cars on McCaul trying to turn left on Queen, all while St. Patrick and Beverly were totally empty. People really aren't adapting to this closure well.

It did up until the mid 1990s when they closed the track on Spadina for building the Spadina line. Then a couple of utility cuts were made at University so the track was incomplete and unusable. That being said, the section between Bay and Yonge was among the first track built with the current standards of using the concrete sub-bed and the metal ties in 1995. As far as I know, only one streetcar has ever run over that track. It was backed up from Victoria to York and used for a beer commercial where a street hockey game was being played (near First Canadian Place) and someone yells "Streetcar!" and the players all scramble to the sides of the road as the streetcar comes rolling through.

The track on Adelaide used to be used for Queen and King diversions when something was going on around City Hall or in the financial district, or the Santa Claus parade.

The track on York between King and Queen was used for a movie shoot two months ago. A streetcar filled with actors moved forwards and backwards all day long as part of the shoot. The working title for the film is 'An Enemy', starring Jake Gyllenhaal.

The track on York between King and Queen was used for a movie shoot two months ago. A streetcar filled with actors moved forwards and backwards all day long as part of the shoot. The working title for the film is 'An Enemy', starring Jake Gyllenhaal.

Hmm, I wonder if that means it's supposed to be set in Toronto. Usually when Toronto is meant to pass as another city, filming involves keeping streetcars and tracks out of the shot.

I had a look at Queen & Spadina today to see how things were progressing. The grand union itself seems to be finished (they were steamrolling the asphalt around it) and the basic concrete form of the new, longer streetcar island on Queen east of Spadina is there. However, the track bed just north and south of the intersection still needs to be poured, and I guess that and the other islands and track bed account for the November completion date.

One thing I noticed further north on Spadina was that the new curbs of the streetcar islands had big trapezoidal notches cut out of them. Something to do with how the new LRVs will line up with the stop? Or the ramps?

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder if that means it's supposed to be set in Toronto. Usually when Toronto is meant to pass as another city, filming involves keeping streetcars and tracks out of the shot.

Not always. A pair of PCCs were featured prominently in Hairspray, which also filmed a dance number on the streetcar tracks on Dundas West.

The book it's based on is set in Portugal isn't it? Though it's Hollywood, so they probably don't care about the book ...

Not always. A pair of PCCs were featured prominently in Hairspray, which also filmed a dance number on the streetcar tracks on Dundas West.

That's true. They shot part of that around Spadina Crescent as well. I guess part of Toronto's versatility as a filming location is that it can also stand in for cities that either have streetcars or, if the film is set in the past, cities that had streetcars at that time. Makes a change from being dressed up as Manhattan with yellow taxis, USPS mailboxes, disguised subway entrances, etc.

Back