News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

Sobeys

Ed, any idea what day they are aiming to open? I'm still surprised that this is happening with the complete lack of signage on this building. In fact, there is still a For Lease sign on the front of the building.

My source says they are shooting for October.

montglenproperties.com/front_sum.html

I noticed Harvey's started to skimp on their buns at the Front location before they closed. Either way I miss it.

I checked out the web site for the leasing company on the sign on the side of the warehouse apparently being converted to a Sobeys, and I found an info page with renderings of how the building might look if converted to generic retail:

www.montglenproperties.co...t_sum.html

The "click to enlarge" link is munged, the full view of the rendering is actually here:

www.montglenproperties.co...20Rend.JPG

The rendering is a bit of a stretch (I love how the building appears to be floating in parkland with non-existent trees and how all the surrounding hydro posts and wires mysteriously vanish) but it definitely looks like they were aiming to target something like a grocery store.

For the record, I walk by there nearly every day and work is progressing at a furious pace inside -- all the junk is cleaned out, delivery ramps on the front are jackhammered away, new brighter lighting is being installed -- but there's been nothing done externally and there are still no "coming soon" signs or anything.

Speaking of Front and Sherbourne, does anyone have an updated on the rumoured Sobey's that is supposed to go in at Front and Princess. I work close by but see very little action...unless it's all happening inside.

Speaking of Front and Sherbourne, does anyone have an updated on the rumoured Sobey's that is supposed to go in at Front and Princess. I work close by but see very little action...unless it's all happening inside.

I spoke with Sobey's customer service a few weeks back, the new projected date is late Spring 2007.

Sobeys Front & Princess

Last fall there was some discussion in this thread about a new Sobeys being renovated at Front St. and Princess St. just east of Sherbourne. The Bulletin newspaper reported that it would be open in Sept 2006, and later I saw a posting online somewhere that mentioned April 2007.

Well, now it's the end of May, and the progress on the old warehouse building at that location seems to have stagnated. At one point crews were busily cleaning it out, carting away junk, and grading the outside surfaces. A new heavy-duty green hydro box was installed at the back. Then... nothing.

I was really excited about this location, since I live very close to it. Does anyone know if Sobey's has abandoned or delayed the plans? I know there was some corporate turmoil a while back (I think they went from a public company back to a private one) and I'm wondering if this expansion is a victim of that.

Sobey's Front and Princess

In the latest print edition of The Bulletin (July 2007):

Sobey's still plans store in St Lawrence
--------------------------------------

<snip>
Spokeswoman Tracey Chisholm from Sobey's:

"Pending the necessary approvals and permits, we hope to begin construction in the next few months and open in the fall of this year..."

<end snip>

Sobey's Front and Princess

"Signs" of Progress at Sobey's Front and Princess...

They have removed the for lease sign on the building and have put two fairly large green and white "Sobeys Coming Soon.." signs on the corner of building..

EDIT: Oh yes, and the retail sign is up on Naz's Falafel House (red and white sign, looks similar to Charlie's old sign, except this one is back lit). The backlit menu is also up inside the store, and it looks probably a month or so away from opening..

EDIT 2: Actually, walking by today, it looks like it will open any day now..

New Sobeys in Leaside

As part of that disney-esque outdoor mall with the Best Buy and the LCBO on Laird Drive.

New Sobeys is going in beside the LCBO.

Not sure if its express or full-size (probably express)

Construction underway now.

Sobey's really sucks. I haven't tasted a single thing from Compliments brand other than produce that doesn't taste bad yet they fill the shelves with it. I thought for sure there wouldn't be a difference in a block of cheddar cheese... but even that didn't taste great.

I'm not aware of an opening date, but the progress on the Front & Princess Sobey's has been fast and furious. The inside is all cleaned out, with drywall inner walls around the perimeter. New delivery ramps at the back and a freshly paved lot. Two big new windows are on the front, and just today they tore out the smaller middle window and started bashing out bricks to make the front doors.

Based on the number of trucks and tradesmen working there 7 days a week, it looks like it won't be long now... probably a few weeks to a month until opening. I can't wait to say goodbye to the horrific nightmare that is the Market Square Dominion...

I was by it last night and all new lighting is in place as well as new paint, etc. I could only see the ceiling through the front windows so can't tell if anything else is done. The ceiling looks good - warehouse feel to it.

Back