News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

Sobeys

And, The Bulletin stands by their story!

ME:

I am a reader of your online site: thebulletin.ca and read your article:

----------------

Neighbourhood to welcome new Sobey's

www.thebulletin.ca/cbulle...id=1000939

------------------

I am familiar with this area as I live near by... Is this indeed happening at Front and Princess or is this referring to the new Sobey's opening up at Cityplace on Front West?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Response from Bulletin Editor:

I think Anisa probably has answered this for you, but in case not, the store will be in that former FedEx bldg. on the southwest corner, approx 31,000 s.f.

I always referred to it as the former Upcountry warehouse.

Jumpn Jehosafat, 31,000 sf grocery store in the Old towne!
Awesome!

From: www.cbc.ca/story/money/national/2006/08/28/sobeys-mon.html
Last Updated Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:08:27 EDT
CBC News
Sobeys Inc. is planning a major shakeup of its IGA stores in Ontario that will see most of them re-emerging under the Sobeys, Foodland or Price Chopper banners.

Craig Gilpin, president of Sobeys Ontario, told IGA franchisees in a confidential letter obtained by CBC News Online that he plans to convert most IGA stores in Ontario to the Sobeys' brands.

As part of the corporate reorganization, Sobeys is offering to buy out any of the IGA independent franchisees who do not wish to convert their stores to the new corporate look.

"All IGA franchisees will be offered the option to sell their business to Sobeys according to a fair-value, buy-out formula," Gilpin said.

But Sobeys says it will continue to honour its franchise agreement with any IGA independent franchisees who want to keep their IGA brand.

Under a major re-organization, Sobeys is converting its stores to five formats. They include:

Full-service flagship stores under the Sobeys brand.
Community-service stores under the Foodland banner.
Fresh-service Sobeys stores.
Lower-priced Price Chopper.
Convenience stores under the Sobeys Express name.
The IGA stores will show up under the Sobeys format, Foodland or Price Chopper brands.

The change is expected to happen over the next few months. Sobeys is already converting some of its IGA stores to the new look with major rebuilding programs.

In his letter, Gilpin said Sobeys is trying to "clearly differentiate" itself in a highly competitive supermarket environment.

"We have been transitioning from a banner-focused, wholesale-driven organization to a customer occasion-based format, retail-focused set of stores and operating regions," he wrote.

"We have developed five formats, each serving the need for different offerings in different markets, based on the varying requirements of our customers and local market characteristics."

Gilpin chose the Foodland banner for many of the IGA stores because many of them are franchise-owned stores with a strong sense of community service.

In his letter, Gilpin also referred to a long-standing issue at Sobeys, the difficulty of dealing with independent franchisees, who do not necessarily want to follow the corporate line.

"Many IGA franchise operators seek a more collaborative working relationship with Sobeys than is currently possible with an advisory group that is intransigent, confrontational and unwilling to work collaboratively with Sobeys to grow the business."

Somehow, I'd be sad to see the Danforth-Pape IGA get Sobeys-Expressed, a la the Roncy one...

Sobeys at Front & Princess

According to the local Bulletin newspaper, there's going to be a new Sobeys on the southwest corner of Front and Princess.

thebulletin.ca/cbulletin/...id=1000939

Currently it's an old warehouse, and I'd noticed construction crews in there over the past few weeks jackhammering away concrete and moving out junk. This is great news for those of us who live in the neighbourhood who won't always have to walk so far for groceries. It will also go a long way to liven up a dreary intersection in an otherwise vibrant neighbourhood.

there's another one coming at yonge/dundonald (formerly the burger king and 1,000,000 comics)

A) Reuse of old space is great.

B) Sobeys are generally 24 hrs, also great.

Sobey's

One Million Comix relocated to a new location across the street.

I watched two kids stocking the shelves at the Danforth-Pape IGA the other day. Talk about obsessive - they were lining up the designs on the stacked tins so they were just so. IGA has been a neighbourhood treasure as long as I've lived in Riverdale. They used to deliver to my old neighbour Bernice. Some places should never change.

Even in Brampton, IGA was a great neighbourhood store. I could walk to the one on Charolais and bring back a few groceries, cutting through the ravine for a 10-15 minute walk. It had a small bakery and deli and offered delivery - certainly not your typical suburban mega-supermarket. The owners lived in the area and I knew their son, who was in many of the same high school classes as me.

The store closed about 5 years ago (likely due to competition from the dirty, lousy Price Chopper and No Frills nearby), and an Indian grocery took over - my mother tried the replacement, but did not feel comfortable shopping there, even for a bag of milk, so off to A&P (or now Sobey's), a good drive, because the Price Chopper at Shopper's World, also walkable is so dirty and the service so poor, it turns you off. Though a new RCSS is walkable, and close, and she goes there.

I can confirm that Sobeys is taking over the old Fedex depot at Front and Princess.

Yay! No more having to endure the crappy produce at Dominion!!!

Ed, any idea what day they are aiming to open? I'm still surprised that this is happening with the complete lack of signage on this building. In fact, there is still a For Lease sign on the front of the building.

Yeah, there was no sign of anything going on when I ran by on Friday night.

However, there is demolition going on at the old Harveys (sniff)/Swiss Chalet (sob) location - no indication of who's taking the space though.

Back