News   Mar 28, 2024
 184     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 300     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 668     0 

Snacks: Rare finds, old favourites, flavours needed!

Glad I'm not the only person who enjoys drinking pickle water 😅

Glad I'm not the only person who enjoys drinking pickle water 😅

You read Dutch...............always something new to learn about Albert!

PS, I don't know about drinking pickle brine.............but it does make excellent salad dressing (combine w/oil and some mustard, and/or mayo, a bit of fresh dill, a few chopped capers.........yum. )

Last edited:
Albert's post above reminded me, there's a product I've been meaning to post about......

I found it at Loblaws in one of their new displays promoting Ontario-made products.

1623100423959.png

Its very bold and different.

LBL has it as $6.99, so not a cheap condiment.

I found I liked it as chip dip.

You read Dutch...............always something new to learn about Albert!

PS, I don't know about drinking pickle brine.............but it does make excellent salad dressing (combine w/oil and some mustard, and/or mayo, a bit of fresh dill, a few chopped capers.........yum. )

Reportedly, drinking pickle brine can help with muscle cramps, and it also contains vitamins and antioxidants. :)

So....I found this in my local Sobeys the other day........

1624828797434.png

image from: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WFQPYG4/?tag=cb-084719-20

I don't know if I would call them a new favourite............but they certainly are different! at $4.99 per bag, fully priced for what it is too. Still, interesting!

They also have Yellow Mustard, Peppercorn Ranch, Garlic-Parm and Hot Sauce varieties.

Not sure if all of those are in Sobeys, I remember seeing the mustard though.

I see, on their website, they also have a line of flavoured popcorns, popped in olive oil...........(never heard of using olive oil for popcorn)

There's a great little shop on Queen near Niagara called Trapmart that stocks various "exotic" snack foods.

Tried a new (to me) flavour of chips today, Lemon and Pink Peppercorn:

1668395492837.png

Source: https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-p82...s/15073/20872/55540__69084.1600814591.jpg?c=2

Found'em at a small Spanish-themed food store on Danforth, at the east end of Greektown.

Certainly different. The 'lemon' doesn't quite read as lemon to me..........but I instantly got the tart flavour. The pink pepper is pretty subtle.

It was decent, not amazing..........tough to justify the price point (about a $2 premium to Ms. Vickies in a conventional store)

But 100% worthwhile as a one-off, or a talking piece for a party.

My craving for chips started basically when the pandemic began, and recently I have tried a few flavours by Brets, a French company, that are sold at the grocery store in Manulife Centre. I have to say I'm a bit puzzled. "French Fry sauce flavour" is actually a bit sweet and mustardy, with a mild dill background taste. The truffle chips should be avoided; the taste is overwhelming. (Unless you are unable to taste truffles, which is a thing apparently. My husband can't, and my ex-husband couldn't either. They are both 5' 7", which I am sure is a coincidence.)
Brets-sauce-pomme-frites-chips.jpg

My craving for chips started basically when the pandemic began, and recently I have tried a few flavours by Brets, a French company, that are sold at the grocery store in Manulife Centre. I have to say I'm a bit puzzled. "French Fry sauce flavour" is actually a bit sweet and mustardy, with a mild dill background taste.

When I think of Frites sauce in France or Belgium, what I think of a is a mild garlic aioli. I don't remember any mustard or dill flavour.

That said, I looked up Sauce Pomme Frites on the Carrefour website and it does show mustard in the first one that comes up (though not dill)

Further googling shows mustard in this brand as well:

🤷‍♂️

What do you know, it seems to be a thing!

The truffle chips should be avoided; the taste is overwhelming. (Unless you are unable to taste truffles, which is a thing apparently. My husband can't, and my ex-husband couldn't either. They are both 5' 7", which I am sure is a coincidence.)

In fairness, this may seem odd to you or others, but as a foodie, and someone who quite likes mushrooms, I've never gotten the fuss over truffle. Its not that it tastes bad, but I'd take some sauteed Morels over them every day of the week.

The powered version is usually made with dried porcini powder, which to me reminds me of the most vile of mushroom soups....

When I think of Frites sauce in France or Belgium, what I think of a is a mild garlic aioli. I don't remember any mustard or dill flavour.

That said, I looked up Sauce Pomme Frites on the Carrefour website and it does show mustard in the first one that comes up (though not dill)

Further googling shows mustard in this brand as well:

🤷‍♂️

What do you know, it seems to be a thing!

In fairness, this may seem odd to you or others, but as a foodie, and someone who quite likes mushrooms, I've never gotten the fuss over truffle. Its not that it tastes bad, but I'd take some sauteed Morels over them every day of the week.

The powered version is usually made with dried porcini powder, which to me reminds me of the most vile of mushroom soups....
I agree, morels are much better.

I do recall an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink risotto I ordered (while snickering) at the defunct North 44. It had lobster, truffles, foie gras, and caviar, and I was tempted to ask if they had used Dom Pérignon as the wine. It was an absurd dish and I just had to have it! The price was the most memorable thing about it though.

I agree, morels are much better.

I do recall an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink risotto I ordered (while snickering) at the defunct North 44. It had lobster, truffles, foie gras, and caviar, and I was tempted to ask if they had used Dom Pérignon as the wine. It was an absurd dish and I just had to have it! The price was the most memorable thing about it though.

How dreadfully absurd......like one of Mark's burgers........

Lets put a subtle-tasting seafood that to most people tastes of the butter its poached in, to a Risotto........ok......

Lets then add a strong mushroom-like earthiness over the top of that seafood..........sure??

But wait there's more (in the voice of one of those infomercial voice overs) if you order now we'll add extreme fattyness and richness with Fois then proceed to cut that same richness with white wine!

Plus, if you order in the next 60 seconds we'll also add briny fish eggs that don't really pair well with anything else we've mentioned so far!

🤣

Edit to add: You know, now that I've thought about it.......its not quite reading like a finished product......needs some A5 Kobe in there! (perish the thought of wasting such a product) LOL

How dreadfully absurd......like one of Mark's burgers........

Lets put a subtle-tasting seafood that to most people tastes of the butter its poached in, to a Risotto........ok......

Lets then add a strong mushroom-like earthiness over the top of that seafood..........sure??

But wait there's more (in the voice of one of those infomercial voice overs) if you order now we'll add extreme fattyness and richness with Fois then proceed to cut that same richness with white wine!

Plus, if you order in the next 60 seconds we'll also add briny fish eggs that don't really pair well with anything else we've mentioned so far!

🤣

Edit to add: You know, now that I've thought about it.......its not quite reading like a finished product......needs some A5 Kobe in there! (perish the thought of wasting such a product) LOL
You are forgetting the layer of gold leaf, but then again it's not a Western tradition! I think the beef would have propelled that risotto's price far beyond the already excessive $85. But it was money well-spent because I'm still laughing at it 20 years later.

In NL I'm pretty sure such a sauce has curry powder. They put a dash of curry in a surprising number of places.

PC has a sauce inspired by it.

Back