News   Jul 12, 2024
 945     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 832     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 337     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Eglinton East is dead... Just face facts... I dont need to wait to hear it officially. Everything is going to STC and DRL. I have no clue if Finch is going to make it but I am just at least a little happy Eglinton is well on its way.

With the new ward boundaries in place (three downtown wards + one North York ward), it should make any attempt to cancel or defer the EELRT more challenging.

However I do anticipate that the EELRT will be paid for with the $5 Billion in federal transit funding, assuming QP matches the funding (and I expect they will). Likewise, Eglinton West could be paid for from the same funding pool ( although it’s not entirely clear to me if the “SmartTrack” funding from the feds announced last year would also contribute to Eglinton West)

The funding situation is convoluted. And yet, I'd be surprised if both the Eglinton West extension and the Eglinton East LRT are not funded within the next few years.

Both are easy wins, relatively affordable, with no public opposition, and both can take advantage of the LRT maintenance facility that's being built for ECLRT anyway.

I wonder if GO Trains will have to wait behind SmartTrack trains when they stop at platforms that GO trains don't stop at.

They might, for a few months. Then the schedules will be adjusted one way or another.

Either the SmartTrack trains will leave the first station immediately after the previous RER train left, and thus they will be able to reach their last station before the next RER train catches up.

Or, all trains will stop at all stations :)

They might, for a few months. Then the schedules will be adjusted one way or another.

Either the SmartTrack trains will leave the first station immediately after the previous RER train left, and thus they will be able to reach their last station before the next RER train catches up.

Or, all trains will stop at all stations :)
Or better yet, all Smarttrack trains might just magically turn into GO RER trains with RER schedules which Tory will brand as Smarttrack ;)

There will be opposition to eglinton east in scarborough if they have to pick between it and the subway extention because of budget constraints .
The funding situation is convoluted. And yet, I'd be surprised if both the Eglinton West extension and the Eglinton East LRT are not funded within the next few years.

Both are easy wins, relatively affordable, with no public opposition, and both can take advantage of the LRT maintenance facility that's being built for ECLRT anyway.

There will be opposition to eglinton east in scarborough if they have to pick between it and the subway extention because of budget constraints .

True, they will not drop the subway extension in order to release funding for EELRT.

However, EELRT is likely to get funded as a separate project. Transit will remain a hot topic in the years to come, and EELRT is one of a few perfectly sellable projects.

True, they will not drop the subway extension in order to release funding for EELRT.

However, EELRT is likely to get funded as a separate project. Transit will remain a hot topic in the years to come, and EELRT is one of a few perfectly sellable projects.
People on here debate if one of the busiest bus routes in the city (finch) deserves to be converted to lrt. Nothing is safe when it comes to above ground rail projects which take a lane of traffic

Then why were certain councillors trying to stop the EELRT from advancing?:

It's a toothless motion. The wording of it was substantially watered down from the during the council debate, which originally included this provision that got thrown out.

screen-shot-2017-03-28-at-3-40-47-pm-png.103346

In fact the same Scarborough councilors who claim to support the Eglinton LRT tried to get the entire motion ruled out of order. They tried their best to prevent the LRT from advancing.

[QUOTE="

BTW I drove Eglinton west yesterday. There is some serious road reconstruction going on between Kipling and Martingrove. They were pouring new concrete for the center islands and curbs at Kipling. Jackhammering out concrete, Lots of landscaping and ditching around the new townhome developments. And complete resurfacing and ashphalt replacement. Much as I don't like bumpy roads, if the LRT proceeds they will be chopping all this up in just a couple of years....hardly money well spent.

- Paul[/QUOTE]
why does the city allow this. So ridiculous

Just curious, if the Jane LRT does come into fruition (eventually), would it have tracks/switches that allow vehicles to go from Eglinton to Jane and/or Finch to Jane? It would make sense from a network prospective, assuming they use the same vehicles and the maintenance facilities can be “shared”.

[QUOTE="

BTW I drove Eglinton west yesterday. There is some serious road reconstruction going on between Kipling and Martingrove. They were pouring new concrete for the center islands and curbs at Kipling. Jackhammering out concrete, Lots of landscaping and ditching around the new townhome developments. And complete resurfacing and ashphalt replacement. Much as I don't like bumpy roads, if the LRT proceeds they will be chopping all this up in just a couple of years....hardly money well spent.

- Paul
why does the city allow this. So ridiculous[/QUOTE]

They seem to have a couple thousand of dollars for repaving, but nothing for transit because of budget cutbacks.

Back