News   Jul 19, 2024
 922     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

There's no reason why a UPX train need have exactly the same number of cars as a RER train, but the cars can be the same fleet. And they should have enough baggage space for both uses. There are ways to build baggage space so it has other functions, such as bike storage or standee space or fold-sown seating space. Extending the high-level platforms is not a huge cost item in the scheme of this thing.

- Paul

Plus, considering we are actually looking at the feasibility for a 2.6 billion $ Eglinton Spur, is it really out of the question to pay a couple hundred million to make the platform at Pearson bigger to accommodate a longer train?

What i do not understand is, when they were building the platforms, which they built for the 3 car UPX trains, did they not think of the possibility that sometime in the future they would perhaps need platforms for 5 car trains? I mean how much thought does that take. And what about laying another set of tracks adjacent. I am not too sure if there is room to lay adjacent tracks but if there is could they not have also done that also.

Cut minor stops? There aren't that many. Between Renforth and Mount Dennis, the stops in the EA are:
  • East Mall
  • Martin Grove
  • Kipling
  • Islington
  • Royal York
  • Scarlett
  • Jane
That's an average spacing of over a kilometre. It's not like Sheppard East or Eglinton East. Maybe East Mall is superflous. Possibly Scarlett. But these are hardly close together stops.

The actual surface stops/stations for Eglinton West are:
upload_2015-10-16_21-46-5.png

Pearson Airport
Silver Dart
Convair
Commerce
Renforth
Rangoon
East Mall
Martin Grove
Widdicombe Hill/Lloyd Manor
Kipling
Wincott/Bemersyde
Islington
Russell/Eden Valley
Royal York
Mulham
Scarlett
Jane

They could remove some minor stops (IE. Mulham, Russell/Eden Valley, Wincott/Bemersyde, Widdicombe Hill/ Lloyd Manor, etc.) that don't have bus transfers, if that's what you mean.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-16_21-46-5.png
    upload_2015-10-16_21-46-5.png
    142 KB · Views: 408
What i do not understand is, when they were building the platforms, which they built for the 3 car UPX trains, did they not think of the possibility that sometime in the future they would perhaps need platforms for 5 car trains? I mean how much thought does that take. And what about laying another set of tracks adjacent. I am not too sure if there is room to lay adjacent tracks but if there is could they not have also done that also.
Aside from the fact that they were, from day 1, building an express airport to downtown service and there is a limit to how much capacity that needs....they could have had all the foresight in planning in the world and they could not have built any more than a 3 car platform at the airport (perhaps even at Union, not sure on that).

I was just noticing how the "Airport Centre" that Smarttrack wants to go to is extremely close to where the Mississauga Transitway is terminating

mississauga_transitway_map_en-670x340.jpg

Could you imagine if we go with the Eglinton West LRT option, and then eventually extend it along the Transitway corridor?

World's longest LRT line, anyone?

Would need to rename it the Eglinton Cross-province LRT.

One would also hope they lay track in the space beside the 403... not mixed traffic on the highway! :)

I was just noticing how the "Airport Centre" that Smarttrack wants to go to is extremely close to where the Mississauga Transitway is terminating

Could you imagine if we go with the Eglinton West LRT option, and then eventually extend it along the Transitway corridor?

One would also hope they lay track in the space beside the 403... not mixed traffic on the highway! :)

First of all, you have to build the true ROW from Erin Mills to City Centre before thinking about an LRT and it missing now.

Will not be the world longest one.

The amount of ridership for this Mississauga thing will be low since the bulk of ridership would be on GO in the first place. GO is not interested running duel mix service in the same corridor and not interested in LRT at all.

To convert the exiting ROW to LRT will require shutting the line down for 3 years or close part of it off like they are doing in opening it in phases now. Dealing with the City Centre will be a hard sale if not underground.

It's good that Tory is going to the UK to study transit, there is lots to learn....the irony is that (contrary to what the media claims), Crossrail is the antithesis of Smarttrack but somewhat analogous to the Relief line.
Wonder what visions he will come back with. Hopefully he sees the Overground too.

- PUl

As they should be. SmartTrack should simply be the Toronto-specific overlay of GO RER. That service would extend into the inner 905, while GO RER would service the rest of the 905, and run semi-express in Toronto. It ain't rocket science.
read the article...GO is going further...they are saying there are no two separate services to "overlay"...they are saying one service, called RER and operated by ML.

As they should be. SmartTrack should simply be the Toronto-specific overlay of GO RER. That service would extend into the inner 905, while GO RER would service the rest of the 905, and run semi-express in Toronto. It ain't rocket science.

Yep, Smarttrack is just Toronto pushing, coercing, forcing Metrolinx to try and see past their stubborn old ways of bi level rail commuter service and into servicing the downtown.

Tory needs to continemue pushing for those downtown stations, quick and nimble single level EMU trains, and fare integration with the TTC if you take GO RER downtown.

Honestly I sometimes think Metrolinx would have been satisfied with pulling the current bilevel coaches with an electric locomotive, adding 5 or 6 stations in the 905 and calling it a day.

Back