News   Jul 19, 2024
 922     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Cut minor stops? There aren't that many. Between Renforth and Mount Dennis, the stops in the EA are:
  • East Mall
  • Martin Grove
  • Kipling
  • Islington
  • Royal York
  • Scarlett
  • Jane
That's an average spacing of over a kilometre. It's not like Sheppard East or Eglinton East. Maybe East Mall is superflous. Possibly Scarlett. But these are hardly close together stops.

Thanks, Salsa, for the mention. We can snicker about the awful website that launched today, but I feel that there are so many important questions raised by having lobbyists, many of whom served on Tory's campaign, looking to rush through SRRA's transit map through as quickly as possible, using a lobby group to "educate" the public and respond to any objections.

Eglinton West was never overburdened with stops. Why aren't they cutting stops from Eglinton East?

You haven't used the UP I'm guessing. What do you do with all the baggage space?

You let it remain, as baggage space. Or bike space. GO's traditional bilevel seating plan is a bit unusual for putting fixed seats everywhere, and the bilevels only have the under-stairs nooks by the doors where people with bulky things congregate (to the annoyance of many, if you believe Ride My Crazy Train). RER could be more innovative here. It will be new equipment, after all.

- Paul

Cut minor stops? There aren't that many. Between Renforth and Mount Dennis, the stops in the EA are:
  • East Mall
  • Martin Grove
  • Kipling
  • Islington
  • Royal York
  • Scarlett
  • Jane
That's an average spacing of over a kilometre. It's not like Sheppard East or Eglinton East. Maybe East Mall is superflous. Possibly Scarlett. But these are hardly close together stops.
Digging deeper into the EA, this is wrong. There are actually 5 intermediate stops as well. What's interesting is that I took the original list from the stop layout exhibits in the EA. However, none of the intermediate stops had layouts - which makes me wonder if they were added later in the process.

Either way, if they are looking at removing some stops, this now makes sense.

Just read the SmartTrack planning document. I'm sort of dizzied by the amount of money being bandied about between GO RER and SmartTrack. It seems neither one is really well though out. I'm sure some portions of the GO RER plan would be quite useful, but I wonder if 15 minute bi-directional service all day is really justified by ridership numbers. It's not just the infrastructure cost, but it's the operating cost of operating such frequencies. There seems to be almost no discussion of that issue.

It also strikes me as incredibly odd that the City of Toronto is trying to shoehorn SmartTrack into areas outside of its jurisdiction on lines that belong to an entity outside its jurisdiction. An urgent combination of efforts seems needed. I worry that both of these efforts could end up being quite expensive and misguided.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but the magnitude of money involved really worries me relative to the strength of the planning.

Digging deeper into the EA, this is wrong. There are actually 5 intermediate stops as well. What's interesting is that I took the original list from the stop layout exhibits in the EA. However, none of the intermediate stops had layouts - which makes me wonder if they were added later in the process.

Either way, if they are looking at removing some stops, this now makes sense.

If I am reading some of the appendices to this report correctly, the possible end state - ie Scarlett, Kipling, and Renforth - sure does redefine away from the original Eglinton LRT extension concept. It is effectively a new GO line across Etobicoke, not easily connected to a number of key TTC north-south routes.

I agree with judiciously limiting the number of stops in the interest of transit times, but is such a limited local service the best investment? If not totally grade-separated (above or below ground), there will be delays at the major cross streets, even with traffic control...so why not stop at some anyways? Are there that many riders needing to cross Etobicoke in the flash of an eye?

My guesstimate would be that Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, Royal York, Scarlett, and Jane all would provide a significant volume of TTC ridership transfers, preserving the ability of north-south routes to continue without jogging over to a ST station (which would impair their value as north-south routes) while keeping overall speed reasonable. That many grade separated stations would still be affordable.

- Paul

If I am reading some of the appendices to this report correctly, the possible end state - ie Scarlett, Kipling, and Renforth - sure does redefine away from the original Eglinton LRT extension concept. It is effectively a new GO line across Etobicoke, not easily connected to a number of key TTC north-south routes.

I agree with judiciously limiting the number of stops in the interest of transit times, but is such a limited local service the best investment? If not totally grade-separated (above or below ground), there will be delays at the major cross streets, even with traffic control...so why not stop at some anyways? Are there that many riders needing to cross Etobicoke in the flash of an eye?

My guesstimate would be that Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, Royal York, Scarlett, and Jane all would provide a significant volume of TTC ridership transfers, preserving the ability of north-south routes to continue without jogging over to a ST station (which would impair their value as north-south routes) while keeping overall speed reasonable. That many grade separated stations would still be affordable.

- Paul

It's reasons like this that I just don't understand why we wouldn't just extend the Eglinton LRT west towards the airport and have Smartrack just be a UPX with lower fares and more stops between downtown and Pearson to replace it.

You haven't used the UP I'm guessing. What do you do with all the baggage space?

Can you read?

"Metrolinx has already stated that they want to Electrify the UPX and they have decided to order entirely new trainsets"

They are ditching the current fleet. I have ridden the current trains but they are irrelevant.

New fleet could be built with only the express trains having a baggage car. So every other train of the same rolling stock that will need to be ordered.

Can you read?
Why so rude? Surely, if you think my comment makes no sense, it's possible (and in this case probable) that you've misinterpreted my comment.

"Metrolinx has already stated that they want to Electrify the UPX and they have decided to order entirely new trainsets"
Which also would have space for baggage. Running 3-car trains to the airport isn't going provide the right equipment, or enough space, to also run local transit services.

Running 3-car trains to the airport isn't going provide the right equipment, or enough space, to also run local transit services.

There's no reason why a UPX train need have exactly the same number of cars as a RER train, but the cars can be the same fleet. And they should have enough baggage space for both uses. There are ways to build baggage space so it has other functions, such as bike storage or standee space or fold-sown seating space. Extending the high-level platforms is not a huge cost item in the scheme of this thing.

- Paul

Back