News   Jul 19, 2024
 918     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Not sure where you are getting 26 miles from. There's five tunnelled sections that I know of, with the longest only being about 5 miles, two less than 2 miles, and one being only 900 metres. Are you counting one mile of twin-tunnel as two miles? I guess by that standard, the Eglinton line is 23 km long, and the Line 1 extension to Vaughan Mafia Centre is 17 km.
The 26 miles is a reference to the Crossrail project in London.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossrail
The point was that Smarttrack is nothing like Crossrail, which is a real, serious relief line.

"Metrolinx and the province believe that the (city report) should reflet the scenario where SmartTrack is an incremental increase in RER (regional express rail) service, rather than an independent and parallel service that co-exists with RER," he wrote.

"The risk of creating unmet expectations is too great," said McCuaig.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...-one-and-the-same-service-says-metrolinx.html

This is what I imagined SmartTrack ending up as.

I can't imagine this ending up costing the $8 billion Tory cited in his mayoral campaign.

Oooo, rolling stock discussion! I'm in. Two favourites stick out in my mind from my European travels over the years. The NS "DubbeldeksInterregiomaterieel" trains in Holland:

latest

ns9481.jpg

...and the S-Tog trains in Copenhagen, Denmark (I called them the Sausage-Trains; they're adorably plump!):

4548086941_28cc5590e8.jpg

15209.jpg

4290767661_dd461d5966.jpg

The coaches are very short (and only have a single axle shared between adjacent coaches), and the whole thing is open down the centre. The cyclists will love this one because it has a huge open area just for bikes.

Hi,Duck.I really like your Danish train interior photo with a lady.
This is one of the best photo I have seen,which expresses the real atmosphere of Denmark's daily life.
Would you allow me to use this photo in my presentation as a good example of Danish design?
(How can I get contact to you?)

Best news on the project so far. I really hope that Tory drops this project.

-Let Eglinton Crosstown get to Pearson Airport and service Eglinton Avenue West.

-Let Metrolinx RER service Toronto by adding speed and more station on existing corridors.

Tory should get behind and champion Metrolinx's DRL plan to get the line from downtown to Sheppard - Don Mills.

Finally some common sense prevails. Really hoping "would be mayors" will stop playing "Simcity" with our city. :mad:

I sincerely hope that story Tory has a clue what he's doing with ST. if voters don't see progress on this "surface subway" plan (NOT RER, but something approximating RT), then he might propel the Ford bros back into the mayor's office.

I sincerely hope that story Tory has a clue what he's doing with ST. if voters don't see progress on this "surface subway" plan (NOT RER, but something approximating RT), then he might propel the Ford bros back into the mayor's office.

I would rather see Smart Track collapse completely before Toronto pays a single dollar for this thing with the sham that is Tax Increment Financing.

I think people are overestimating how many people voted for tory based on his transit plan.. I'm sure most voted for the most likely to beat ford. Similarly people voted for Ford because of his tax cuts not his subway plan

Building more GO stations in the 416, and redesigning the infrastructure to allow both the current express service that suits the 905 riders as well as the local, many-stop service needed within Toronto proper, is the only thing we need from ST. The rest is just branding which only serves Tory himself.

- Paul

I think people are overestimating how many people voted for tory based on his transit plan.. I'm sure most voted for the most likely to beat ford. Similarly people voted for Ford because of his tax cuts not his subway plan

SmartTrack was the centrepiece of his campaign. SmartTrack likely convinced enough people to vote for Tory so that he could beat Ford by a narrow margin. I recall seeing many posts from former Chow/Soknaki supporters saying that one of the reasons they'd support Tory is because of SmartTrack.

Without ST, Tory likely wouldn't be mayor today. So he has better find a way to deliver his promise of surface subways, or his opponents in the 2018 election are going to hammer him on breaking the #1 promise of his campaig.

SmartTrack was the centrepiece of his campaign. SmartTrack likely convinced enough people to vote for Tory so that he could beat Ford by a narrow margin. I recall seeing many posts from former Chow/Soknaki supporters saying that one of the reasons they'd support Tory is because of SmartTrack.

Without ST, Tory likely wouldn't be mayor today. So he has better find a way to deliver his promise of surface subways, or his opponents in the 2018 election are going to hammer him on breaking the #1 promise of his campaig.

Securing funding for a complete DRL to Sheppard-Don Mills would make him mayor the line opens...at least. Hoping he gets smart instead of egotistical. Being the first mayor in decades to have a photo op with shovels on the ground starting the project that's been the most talked about for years and has an overwhelmingly consensus throughout the city is the best thing he could hope for.

With Ontario showing signs on wanting to make it happen and Ottawa ready to sign a cheque...Tory...don't drop the ball now

In the ongoing battle in figuring out what exactly is Smart Track, Metrolinx now appears to be backpedalling from their previous position that Smart Track is "unworkable".

CRr6deIUAAAad7b.png_large.png

Attachments

• CRr6deIUAAAad7b.png_large.png
    CRr6deIUAAAad7b.png_large.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 459
I'm sure Metrolinx is thrilled that City of Toronto is considering funding the Eglinton SmartTrack LRT extension to Renforth, which Metrolinx suggested that hey fund back in 2010. :)

Back