News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 669     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Last time I was there (a few weeks ago) a lot of the lands on the Richview Corridor were yet to be developed. The City would have to buy the land back and demolish the little that has been built there so far. Once that is done there should be more than enough room. The corridor is designed to fit an Allen Road-style transit ROW.

Development is pretty advanced. It's even on Streetview:

https://goo.gl/maps/5iPuhgTAJt12

I'm not even completely opposed to buying back and demolishing, but I don't think it's politically realistic now.

I'm not even completely opposed to buying back and demolishing, but I don't think it's politically realistic now.

Ahh. Didn't make it that far west. I suppose we could tunnel under that section or demolish.

Regardless, the City should have a moratorium on construction on the Richview Corridor. It's a little ludicrous to be planning rapid transit on a corridor while developers are constructing over it.

Oh my, can you imagine the headlines? John Tory made me homeless". It's never going to happen.

Fair enough. Though expropriation isn't uncommon, from what I understand. It happens for a lot of new infrastructure. I recall a few months ago about a dozen or so houses were expropriated for a school without very much controversy. It also happens for a lot of other infrastructure.

I wouldn't be against this for Richview as long as it wasn't a very high amount of homes being expropriated.

Or we could simply tunnel under the roadway and avoid the development altogether. Run it under Eglinton to the South (Which is city owned land, a field for Martingrove Collegiate). Calgary's C-Train ducks under roads at various points. The Mississauga Transitway ducks under Eglinton too.

What's so impossible about doing this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/48...1!3m1!1s0x882b375ffd867459:0x22c9c2f859b836e0

Last edited:
Or we could simply tunnel under the roadway and avoid the development altogether. Run it under Eglinton to the South (Which is city owned land, a field for Martingrove Collegiate). Calgary's C-Train ducks under roads at various points. The Mississauga Transitway ducks under Eglinton too.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/48...1!3m1!1s0x882b375ffd867459:0x22c9c2f859b836e0

Nothing is impossible its about cost to benefit ratio.

There simply isn't enough ridership there to justify anything but LRT.

Lets stop making the same mistakes we have with Sheppard/Spadina/Scarborough.

Its just not needed in this area. Period.

HOWEVER, I am all for shifting the LRT into the corridor where there is room at grade, because this makes a lot more sense than having the LRT down the middle of the road, and its what 90% of other cities do.

Last edited:
Im praying for a ROW LRT crosstown to the airport. The longer it is the better. The more people see this line, and hurontario the more likely they will be OK with LRT. LRT isn't perfect but it makes sense in a lot of places and can be a great addition to the Subway and GO network.

This whole discussion about Richview is pointless until we see a report that explains how the hell are trains gonna turn at Mt Dennis from the rail corridor onto Eglinton, assuming that's even possible. Or more importantly, is heavy rail transit on Eglinton justifiable in the first place based on ridership.

Or more importantly, is heavy rail transit on Eglinton justifiable in the first place based on ridership.
What's the criteria for heavy rail. We know it's about 10,000 to 15,000 per hour in the peak direction for subway. Closer to 5,000 for LRT. Eastbound from Renforth is 400 in the LRT study. Does that justify heavy rail? Or does it need to be double - say 800?

What's the criteria for heavy rail. We know it's about 10,000 to 15,000 per hour in the peak direction for subway. Closer to 5,000 for LRT. Eastbound from Renforth is 400 in the LRT study. Does that justify heavy rail? Or does it need to be double - say 800?

20 years ago the portion on West Eglinton was deemed to be the most worthy of underground rapid transit.

This whole discussion about Richview is pointless until we see a report that explains how the hell are trains gonna turn at Mt Dennis from the rail corridor onto Eglinton, assuming that's even possible. Or more importantly, is heavy rail transit on Eglinton justifiable in the first place based on ridership.

Ya how's that even possible? How can a train stop at Mount Dennis station and then turn to go West on Eglinton? Now I'm not engineer or nothing but just visualizing that I don't see how that's possible.

Ya how's that even possible? How can a train stop at Mount Dennis station and then turn to go West on Eglinton? Now I'm not engineer or nothing but just visualizing that I don't see how that's possible.
Lots of options (with an unlimited amount of money. Go into a tunnel before hand, curve north (up Black Creek?) then west, so that you are lined up. Start tunnelling after Eglinton and curve west, and then back south. Or cheapest, start a tunnel, curve near the alignment, and put the station at Jane instead of Mount Dennis and extend the Eglinton line 1 stop to Jane.

Not going to be cheap though.

Back