News   Jul 19, 2024
 413     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 683     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

The province is paying for subways and LRTs in Toronto. I would presume this is why they weren't interested in suburban rail service for Toronto. It's unfortunate that they might think that way. But hardly unfair. Especially when you compare the deal that London and Ottawa are getting.....
true. I never thought of it that way

London and Ottawa are not getting the same deal, Kitchener and Ottawa are. They are paying one-third the price of their LRTs but London has flatly refused demanding 91% be paid by Queen's Park. Whether Ottawa contributes or not is irrelevant to London as it's demanding QP pay for all of it except 9% which will come from city development charges thru the years.

London was smart enough to send it's official request for about $900 million the same week that Miss/Brampton's 100% LRT announcement was made and used it and 100% funding for Hamilton as references in it's demand for QP to pay all of the upfront construction costs.

London has been very clear that it expects QP to treat London the same way Ham/Miss/Bramp/Tor are getting treated.

Speaking of Presto readers actually having the ability to talk to NFC phones...

It would be great to have a Presto app on my NFC capable phone that I can tap on the readers. The app would display a history of all the transactions, and be reloadable directly on my phone instantly via online payment. But I would only want that as a backup, so I imagine it would have to be loaded with a separate Presto account if I also want the physical card.

Or vice versa, my physical card as a backup for dead phone, depending on how instant I get the phone ready (e.g. Always ready, versus launching an app)

It would be great to have a Presto app on my NFC capable phone that I can tap on the readers. The app would display a history of all the transactions, and be reloadable directly on my phone instantly via online payment. But I would only want that as a backup, so I imagine it would have to be loaded with a separate Presto account if I also want the physical card.

Or vice versa, my physical card as a backup for dead phone, depending on how instant I get the phone ready (e.g. Always ready, versus launching an app)

Funny things happen when you use your phone with a transit system. What happens when the battery dies after boarding, but before fare inspection? What if you need to tap out, but can't? As phones can be used as credit/debit cards, and some transit systems allow you to tap in and out of them with phones, this is a valid concern. An app that allowed you to reload your card using your phone would e a solution, but that's a bit complex, and there is huge range of phones that do and don't support NFC.

Funny things happen when you use your phone with a transit system. What happens when the battery dies after boarding, but before fare inspection? What if you need to tap out, but can't? As phones can be used as credit/debit cards, and some transit systems allow you to tap in and out of them with phones, this is a valid concern. An app that allowed you to reload your card using your phone would e a solution, but that's a bit complex, and there is huge range of phones that do and don't support NFC.

1) Now that you mention that, I'm curious. What happens if your PRESTO card was to somehow break in transit? Would you be charged with fare evasion?

2) PRESTO cards are registered with your name. It's considerable that the TEO's can simply get your name to see if someone with a matching name has paid fare.

3) For the time being, I don't expect that people will stop carrying wallets (with Presto cards). Nothing will replace cold, hard cash for the foreseeable future. Personally, the reason I want smartphone payments is only so I can pair it with a smartwatch and tap my watch on the Presto reader to pay fare. It feels like the future!

So long as you had the card with you, and it was registering 'error' on the reader, you would hope that the inspector would give you a break. The hardass inspector would likely write you up and make you retrieve the transaction history to prove that the tap on registered, and plead your case afterwards.

- Paul

Wouldn't it be better to just be able to pay cash from your account, if you're going to tap a phone (or other NFC card)? Why go through the hassle of forcing someone to get a Presto card? Why not just debit their account directly? (ie, pay via Debit or Credit - PayPass?)

Phone dying is not an issue with other systems. How do they handle it? London Underground allows Apple Pay and Android Pay soon.

Wouldn't it be better to just be able to pay cash from your account, if you're going to tap a phone (or other NFC card)? Why go through the hassle of forcing someone to get a Presto card? Why not just debit their account directly? (ie, pay via Debit or Credit - PayPass?)
For some people, the Presto account will be necessary to get tax receipts. Also, gonna be interesting to see how Paypass etc. works if Metrolinx forces TTC into having everyone tap off.

Going to ride the pseudo-SmartTrack from Weston to Union Station Station, for free today. The UPX is free this weekend, so use it as a pseudo-SmartTrack if you can.
I did ride this pseudo SmartTrack and it was great (the ride that is). The signage at Dundas West and Union not so great

Went on the pseudo SmartTrack from Weston to Union. Wasn't too crowded, was able to get a seat. Fast.

Got off at Union, and walked through PATH to get to the Eaton Centre. That was long. The line for the pseudo SmartTrack at Union was very long, winding all the way into the construction in Union Station itself.

If I was going to SkyDome (AKA Rogers Centre) or Air Canada Centre, I would take the SmartTrack. However, if I'm going to Eaton Centre or some other downtown destination, having SmartTrack use Union Station wouldn't just add to the crowds. The DRL is needed, but only if it does not use Union Station, but city hall.

What I found strange is that the announcements on the UPX was telling people not to forget to to tap off. I suppose these are pre-recorded announcements but should that have been running this free weekend? What if people did tap off or tap on?

Last I checked we don't vote for mayor by borough. So are you suggesting that downtowners really support subways for Scarborough over LRTs. That's really interesting.

BTW, how'd Chow do in those areas? And how much an endorsement is that for LRTs, if Tory apparently lacks a mandate for Smart Track?

We all acknowledge that Ford was more popular in the boroughs. But between Tory and Chow, those same areas also had a clear choice for second place.

I think it's clear that voters want faster transit. Not just more access to it. For many that would be a subway. And for many that would be some kind of suburban rail. But how many of those Ford voters do you think would pick LRT over Smart Track?

Last I checked people don't vote based on one issue but you are eager to distill an entire dubious election down to this one issue. If you insist on making it about this then let's recap!

In a *three way race* Mayor Rob Ford won a *clear majority* in the SmartTack heartland. If it was about SmartTrack then the result should not be entirely surprising since Tory himself had and still has no idea what his own vague and nebulous idea is.

At best, the work of fiction that is the narrative of huge mobs voting Tory en masse in the heartland because of the "SmartTrack factor", might have saved Tory village from a potential Chernobyl and turned it into a mere Fukushima.

Only people entrenched in the Jon Tory RDF believe otherwise... the clear majority of voters out there clearly didn't care or didn't buy into the hype.

Pity the CBC took the bait and started a whole lotta drama with a person who—I'm sure is an otherwise intelligent person—but looks to be very misinformed about what Tory's choo choo will do for him.

The cognitive dissonance is real.

Back