News   Jul 19, 2024
 396     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Then why does John Tory keep tossing pieces of his own plan out of the window, and putting in pieces of Chow's instead?

He tossed only one piece, the Eglinton West mainline rail. It should have been tossed out a year ago. But that does not change the concept of SmartTrack materially.

The only Chow's piece he picked is enhanced bus service.

One it seemed like Tory had the lead on Chow, it just grew, out of fear of letting a Ford back in. We saw the same federally - Liberals and NDP were pretty close, but as soon at Trudeau got a bit of momentum, a lot of NDP support jumped ship, out of fear of Harper getting a minority.

But Chow was ahead of Tory by 10% initially; 38% vs 28%. If anything, her early lead should have been strengthened by the fear of letting a Ford back in.

John did well in the election, because he was not Rob Ford. Period. SmartTrack was not a factor.

I think otherwise; SmartTrack was a significant factor.

My guess is as good as yours. We cannot perform a scientific experiment and have Tory re-run without SmartTrack but otherwise in the same environment as existed in 2014.

so again why must Toronto contribute 2.7B for a line that does not have the frequency of 5 min.

Because 90% of riders will be Toronto residents?

Even though they would like to have a more frequent service, they still will be using this line at 10 min frequency.

By the logic on display here, Tory should simply drop Smart Track and build a 3-stop subway. It's after all what most of Scarborough voted for with Ford.

Or we'll get the even more bizarre logic. Since, Tory didn't win a majority of Scarborough he has no mandate for Smart Track, but apparently has a mandate for LRTs pushed by third place candidate?

Zealots don't win elections. Except for that flirtation with Ford. It didn't work for the all subway zealot. Didn't work for all the LRT zealot. The guy with a sense of practicality and compromise got elected. Deal with it.

And thankfully Smart Track seems to be getting rolled into Metrolinx RER with some concessions for Toronto. Exactly as I predicted and voted for.

Because 90% of riders will be Toronto residents?

Even though they would like to have a more frequent service, they still will be using this line at 10 min frequency.
so when GO is upgrading their lines for surburban residents i.e Barrie, Stoufffville, etc, why is Metrolinx picking up the whole cost? Are you telling me Barrie or Stouffville gov't is being asked to put up money?

And if Toronto is putting up the money, it should be 5 min frequencies. The federal gov't is suppose to contribute 1/3 meaning 2.7B so along with Toronto's 2.7B that is substantial and you are telling me Toronto cannot get more concessions regarding frequencies?

so when GO is upgrading their lines for surburban residents i.e Barrie, Stoufffville, etc, why is Metrolinx picking up the whole cost? Are you telling me Barrie or Stouffville gov't is being asked to put up money?

I don't care what concession we get, we're not getting 5 minute frequneices, all-stop service on this thing using mostly existing infrastucutre. It physically won't work, and will be too detrimental to other frequencies. The restrictions of rail scheduling, and the capacity constraints of Union Station, both in terms of pedestrian flows and rail capacity, won't allow for it.

The only way this will work is if ST is in it's own rail corridor, completely segregated from the other rail lines, like TTC's subways are. This would necessitate widening the rail corridors and building a second station under Union Station (you're not going to shoehorn this new service into the existing station). This will not be an affordable option.

And if Toronto is putting up the money, it should be 5 min frequencies. The federal gov't is suppose to contribute 1/3 meaning 2.7B so along with Toronto's 2.7B that is substantial and you are telling me Toronto cannot get more concessions regarding frequencies?

Toronto won't be contributing $2.6 Billion to this. There isn't a realistic funding model to generate that money.

If they are going to build it's own track for ST, they might as well build it with a tunnel under Queen or King like the Crosstown Line in London. People flow at Union Station isn't going to work as it isn't designed for rapid transit.

Having moved back from Ottawa, I find this attitude incredible. Ottawa has higher property taxes than Toronto. Is paying for 1/3 of their LRT program.

Only in the GTA is there an expectation that Queen's Park will pick up the entire tab. This is going to bite the Liberals in the rear eventually. There's already of a lot of consternation elsewhere about what a raw deal this is for the rest of the province.

In this particular case, Metrolinx is paying for RER as a regional suburban service. It won't do much for Toronto. Smart Track adds stops and frequencies that mostly serve Toronto (could even limit service to 416). And yet Toronto shouldn't pay for it? Talk about entitled.

And for the record, I'd gladly pay higher taxes to get better transit.

Last edited:
I don't care what concession we get, we're not getting 5 minute frequneices, all-stop service on this thing using mostly existing infrastucutre. It physically won't work, and will be too detrimental to other frequencies. The restrictions of rail scheduling, and the capacity constraints of Union Station, both in terms of pedestrian flows and rail capacity, won't allow for it.

The only way this will work is if ST is in it's own rail corridor, completely segregated from the other rail lines, like TTC's subways are. This would necessitate widening the rail corridors and building a second station under Union Station (you're not going to shoehorn this new service into the existing station). This will not be an affordable option

When did you get a job at Metrolinx? Never knew you got a job on the electrification project?

Metrolinx seems to think, and its evaluating options that would allow for some of form of extended suburban service inside Toronto. And yet, some seem insistent on killing this thing before Metrolinx even comes back with an evaluation. Starting to sound like Ford'esque subway advocates talking about LRT.

The restrictions of rail scheduling, and the capacity constraints of Union Station, both in terms of pedestrian flows and rail capacity, won't allow for it.
If we're solely focussed in achieving the 5-minute timetable, the bottleneck will be rail capacity. It won't be pedestrian flows (post-revitalization).

For a 5-minute time table we're not talking about 12-car BiLevel GO trains anymore. It would need to be EMUs, the very thing Metrolinx said they will now procure for at least some of the fleet. I also think to achieve that, it likely would require making RER serve the UPX role (to use up the rail capacity that UPX is currently using up) where UPX ceases to exist as a "separate" monolithic service with its separate platform, but becomes rolled into RER like the Paris CDG airport spur of Paris's RER Line B and stops at the regular GO platforms. Costly as that may be, the decision of electrifying UPX may also automatically be part of deciding whether or not it is merged virtually into RER.

Many of the pieces are falling into place already to open the potential 5-minute timetable without the Union tunnel, but there would be some huge changes/compromises/etc that ends up being made to achieve that, like the bitter pill of discontinuing the short UPX trains/UPX stations during electrification, eliminating diesel trains from stopping at many stations, and merger of services, and a fast-accelerating EMU fleet.

Whether it should be done or not, is a good question.

But the pieces are already falling into places to keep the 5-minute service option possible, should it be exercised.

• Metrolinx is very eager to roll out Positive Train Control as part of RER -- a system commonly found in many subways and European commuter systems -- but rarely in North American commuter systems. This operationally decrease headways more safely and easily. It is multiple sources (this, this, etc). If 5-minute becomes a political requirement, this step becomes a pre-requisite.
  • Metrolinx confirmed this week they are purchasing EMUs (and livetweeted from this weeks' Metrolinx meeting). EMU is the same type of technology found in nearly all subways! They accelerate faster, and along with short-dwell, will help increase train throughput.
  • Union Station Railway Corridor will get more train throughput after its resignalling.
  • There literally becomes pedestrian expressways between Bay and York concourses post-revitalization. The massively wide TTC-Bay moat connection has almost two dozen doors (almost one dozen double-doors), practically twice as many as pre-revitalization -- there is doors along the whole length of Bay moat as a massive vomitorium (upper-right corner) between RBC-PATH-TTC-Union, and there will be plenty of space and multiple opportunities for passengers to divert stairlessly towards the right quickly towards York out of the crushing Bay flow (locating food in York also helps bait Bay pedestrians away from the crushing TTC-BayConcourse flow -- very clever). They intentionally also cleverly moved all coffee-lineups (commuter flow obstacle) away from TTC-Bay flows. And we all know that not all commuters will use the TTC-Bay connection, with all the additional PATH entrances planned.
  • There are techniques to spread the instantaneous Union passenger bottlenecks around to fill the Union hourly capacity better (which will be much more massive). Many of these are already mentioned in the older Metrolinx 2031. People loiter too much in the wrong places, blocking flows. People surge to the stairs in the 10-minute timetable announcements. Shorter dwells and more frequent platform emptying with less-timetable-surging, combined with the currently closed-tracks reopened, to spread platform capacity around better while maintaining crowding to today's level.
There are many cost-plus options that will need to happen, and it might not fit in the SmartTrack budget. We might not be able to pull off 5-minute for more than one through route (e.g. only for Bramalea-Stoufville) except at peak where you can pre-peak pre-position 150-meter trains in double-berths before they head in opposite directions.

That way, you borrow USRC capacity in the previous hour to pre-load Union, so you don't have to worry about too many incoming trains during peak hour, when trying to maximize outgoing trains. LSW already does this to help maximize Union capacity -- you sometimes have an hour-long wait in Burlington to head into Toronto, if you arrive there just right before peak -- because they skipped that train to maximize Union peak capacity (in trainset count and to help reduce USRC contention issue). For 5-minute peak service, this might mean you'd get only offpeak frequencies (e.g. every 10-15 minutes) for incoming trains. At offpeak, double berthing would cease and the trains would continue in through-service (LSE-LSW and Bramalea-Stoufville). Today LSE and LSW already does this -- through service mainly occurs during offpeak.

The solutions that are applied towards Metrolinx 2031 will actually allow Union to have 2x the passenger throughput during peak. That's double the number of passengers walking in-and-out of Union during the peak hour!

Today's Lakeshore West runs approximately 7.5 minute headway during 4:45pm through 5:45pm, although they currently interleave into separate tracks, due to the long-dwell times of traditional GO trains.

TL;DR: Union passenger capacity (post-revitalization) is not the weakest link for 5-minute service. It's the USRC rail capacity -- how many trains can enter-exit Union.

Last edited:
If we're solely focussed in achieving the 5-minute timetable, the bottleneck will be rail capacity. It won't be pedestrian flows (post-revitalization).

For a 5-minute time table we're not talking about 12-car BiLevel GO trains anymore. It would need to be EMUs, the very thing Metrolinx said they will now procure for at least some of the fleet.

I haven't done the per-train math, but the ridership numbers for 5-minute service certainly suggest more than short EMU's. These trains, while still EMU, could be comparable to GO in length and per-train loads at peak periods.

Does USRC support a maximum headway of 5 mins for all combined services?

I'm doubtful that this would work with the current track configuration. You would have an ST train on the ladder every 2.5 minutes on each side of the depot.

On the east side, there would have to be a flyunder to keep a path available for GO Express and VIA trains.

West of the Depot, one can envision a dedicated 2-track pathway to Bathurst Street, but with some rearrangement of existing routes.

You would need four station tracks, as dwell time might exceed what can be done with only two platforms. Besides, there may not be enough stairway capacity to empty/reload platforms in that time. Two-sided exit and boarding would be desirable. I like the idea of "sacrificing" one or two current platforms, to create wider spaces.

- Paul

When I did the math on the 5-minute frequency demands at TTC prices, they'd need more than current 6-car subway trains. Though I think 10-car trains would work, or shorter double-decker EMUs - perhaps like they use on the RER in Paris:

I've been researching transit in anticipation of a trip to Seattle, looking at the Link ($3 for a 22 km ride from the airport to downtown) and wondering how UPE got it so wrong ...

There are a couple of interesting points in this article that I was unaware of.

Two public meetings with the TTC and Metrolinx aim to explain transit options to Scarborough residents

Stouffville Line new stations:
There are three new stations proposed on the GO Rail corridor in Scarborough at Finch Avenue, Ellesmere Road and Lawrence Avenue, but Scarborough commuters would be wrong to see them as guaranteed. Though they appear on maps released by city hall, the three stations are “conceptual” only, and recommendations on whether they get built won’t be made until spring.

The first Metrolinx analysis of whether the three are worth building ranks them all “low” on whether they would add riders or save running time in a future RER network. All three have an advantage on having only a “medium” difficulty in their construction and in construction cost, however Metrolinx also reports Ellesmere and Finch East have “low” development potential, while a station at Lawrence East – for which a Bloor-Danforth station at Lawrence was arguably sacrificed in the new Scarborough plan – is ranked “medium.”

A presentation to the board of directors of Metrolinx Wednesday, Feb. 10 also suggests a single SmartTrack station on the Stouffville corridor is likeliest, with a “focus on Lawrence.” Another argues while electrification will add speed, new stations will increase stopping time for the RER by two to three minutes each, and fewer stations mean trains can run at higher speeds.
In other words, it's unlikely that we will see all three stations built.

Crosstown East:
It’s not clear how they will deal with another part of the Tory’s Scarborough plan: the revival of the former Scarborough-Malvern light-rail line from Kennedy station to University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) campus, which the city now calls the Crosstown East extension.

Metrolinx is building the Crosstown across the city to Kennedy station, but Anne Marie Aikins, a spokesperson for the project, said plans for any potential extension of the Crosstown is the city’s responsibility, and considered to be part of SmartTrack.

The current version appears to have 17 stops, and Metrolinx said more work is needed to confirm the Crosstown East’s timing, costs and design, including at two potential GO Rail interfaces at Eglinton and Guildwood stations and its terminus at UTSC.

And finally, just a reminder that no transit plan in this city is set in stone. Especially in Scarborough.
The original LRT proposal, which was shelved by the province in 2011 for having a poor business case compared to other lines, wasn’t well-received by residents who drove and disliked the thought of sharing lanes with light-rail vehicles on parts of Eglinton Avenue, Kingston Road and Morningside Avenue.

Brenda Thompson of the advocacy group Scarborough Transit Action, warned “the past six years has shown that shovel-ready, fully funded LRT projects can wither and die at the whim of a pusillanimous politician.” Aside from the Scarborough-Malvern, the Scarborough LRT was shelved in favour of a three-stop subway extension in 2013, and work on the Sheppard East LRT was stopped in 2011, and further delayed in 2015, she added.

“We went from three LRTs to no LRTs because they are perceived by local drivers as a direct challenge to the dominant mode of transportation in Scarborough: the automobile.”

Last edited:

Back