News   Jul 19, 2024
 465     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 722     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

It's just too easy for Smart Track to leverage work on GO RER to not happen. It's lower cost, faster to launch, and covers more ridings. If you were a federal politician why would you support the DRL over this?

The Liberals are also looking at an economic disaster as oil prices collapse taking the CA$ with it. In this environment it means that the Feds will have less money than initially planned and a lot more of it will have to go to more hard hit regions that anticipated.

Looking at the tea leaves, ST looks more likely every day.

Governments having less revenue than planned due to poor economic conditions does not correlate with lower government spending. In fact, if you believe conventional economic wisdom, poor economic conditions are most ideal to ramp up government spending.

We've already seen signals from Ottawa that this will happen. I don't expect the same from Queens Park though.

Some highlights from the SmartTrack Report:

upload_2016-1-19_20-59-56.png

so that would be 4 tracks from Kennedy to Scarborough and probably 6 tracks from Scarborough to Union - let's hope VIA doesn't want any for high-speed rail!

upload_2016-1-19_21-1-46.png

more platforms somewhere. Underneath between Bay and Yonge?

upload_2016-1-19_21-17-48.png

oops - that won't help the Woodbine redevelopment!

upload_2016-1-19_21-22-39.png

So it's assumed that GO services won't stop at the new stations (elsewhere it notes that GO Etobicoke may move to Islington).

upload_2016-1-19_21-24-43.png

This is the travel time from Union to Highway 427 using different technologies and number of stops!

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-19_20-59-56.png
    upload_2016-1-19_20-59-56.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 586
  • upload_2016-1-19_21-1-46.png
    upload_2016-1-19_21-1-46.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 591
  • upload_2016-1-19_21-17-48.png
    upload_2016-1-19_21-17-48.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 565
  • upload_2016-1-19_21-22-39.png
    upload_2016-1-19_21-22-39.png
    51 KB · Views: 589
  • upload_2016-1-19_21-24-43.png
    upload_2016-1-19_21-24-43.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 603
What kind of trains can handle the forecast load?

In the most user-friendly scenario (5-min frequency, and TTC fare), they expect peak ridership, westbound at Gerrard, almost 21,000 pphpd (page 15 of the Ridership report). 5-min frequency means 12 trains per hour. Each train must carry 21,000 / 12 = 1,750 riders.

With TTC fare and a 15-min frequency, peak ridership is 7,300. Each train must carry 7,300 / 4 = 1,825 riders.

Regular single-level, 10-car trains can just barely handle that kind of load. However, it means all platforms must be long enough to handle 10-car trains, and there are some concerns regarding the dwelling time at stations. GO cars have only 2 doors on each side, vs 4 in the subway cars. The dwelling time is particularly important for high-frequency operation.

Can we buy mainline electric trainsets with 4 doors per car? Or, at least 3?

Smaller trains seem to be out of question in this scenario.

With the GO fare, demand is much lower. The report does not give the peak point forecasts, but assuming they go down in the same proportion as the total daily ridership, the average load per train would be 600 riders in case of a 5-min frequency, or 900 riders in case of a 15-min frequency. That's well suited for smaller trains, and not well suited for regular GO trains (they would be under-used).

I am sure that Mayor Tory will not like full GO fare on this route. It will be either regular TTC fare, or TTC fare + a small surcharge.

Then, they need large trains. And that will limit the frequency. I can see them achieving 10-min, or perhaps 7.5 min in order to blend better with the 15-min GO RER network. But 5-min is unlikely.

Last edited:
The City posted some info on the Miller numbers.

Somehow, they did not consider Eglinton West LRT grade-separated, so the numbers must be inferred. Figure II.1 gives us a clue

Figure II-1.png

I am going by memory here - I know just a few days ago the old on-street EA ridership numbers were shown.

It showed ZERO riders from the airport area to Eastbound.
This high speed grade-separated option shows 2300 ppdph.

The old EA had less than 2000 eastbound near Mt. Dennis.
This has 6300.

It looks like removing the LRT from the street, removing some stops, will more than triple the previous ridership estimates. Without having the exact numbers, it definitely appears that grade-separation is the way to go.

Attachments

• Figure II-1.png
    Figure II-1.png
    548.8 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
Governments having less revenue than planned due to poor economic conditions does not correlate with lower government spending. In fact, if you believe conventional economic wisdom, poor economic conditions are most ideal to ramp up government spending.

We've already seen signals from Ottawa that this will happen. I don't expect the same from Queens Park though.

Economic theory and politics don't always coincide. While there's support for Keynesian economic stimulus, how big the deficit will be is a political decision. And I have my doubts on their room to manoeuvre on that front.

The other problem for Toronto is that both politics and economics call for a lot of that stimulus to be spent in places other than the GTA. I'm betting Calgary and Edmonton will be high on the list.

I am sure that Mayor Tory will not like full GO fare on this route. It will be either regular TTC fare, or TTC fare + a small surcharge.

Then, they need large trains. And that will limit the frequency. I can see them achieving 10-min, or perhaps 7.5 min in order to blend better with the 15-min GO RER network. But 5-min is unlikely.

We might even need DRL ... to relief SmartTrack :):)

Some highlights from the SmartTrack Report:

So it's assumed that GO services won't stop at the new stations (elsewhere it notes that GO Etobicoke may move to Islington).

I read it to say the opposite - pg 30 - that because the land east of Islington is earmarked for a UPX maintenance facility, they discarded any idea of an Islington station and assumed Etobicoke North is the station location.

I also noted that they assumed the Via frequency will remain as at present, ie 4 trains a day. That's a change from the GTS EA which assumed VIA would add service up to 7 trains each way iirc. That bodes badly for HSR as they are assuming RER and ST will take all the acailable track capacity.

- Paul

The City posted some info on the Miller numbers.

Somehow, they did not consider Eglinton West LRT grade-separated, so the numbers must be inferred. Figure II.1 gives us a clue

View attachment 64369

I am going by memory here - I know just a few days ago the old on-street EA ridership numbers were shown.

It showed ZERO riders from the airport area to Eastbound.
This high speed grade-separated option shows 2300 ppdph.

The old EA had less than 2000 eastbound near Mt. Dennis.
This has 6300.

It looks like removing the LRT from the street, removing some stops, will more than triple the previous ridership estimates. Without having the exact numbers, it definitely appears that grade-separation is the way to go.

The report likely doesn't have all scenarios tested described in it. You can't really draw any conclusions from it not being in this short document.

Economic theory and politics don't always coincide. While there's support for Keynesian economic stimulus, how big the deficit will be is a political decision. And I have my doubts on their room to manoeuvre on that front.

The other problem for Toronto is that both politics and economics call for a lot of that stimulus to be spent in places other than the GTA. I'm betting Calgary and Edmonton will be high on the list.
Yes.....just as the last time government intervened to save/create jobs an inordinate amount of money was spent saving jobs in central Canada (e.g. investing in and lending to the auto sector) because that was where the most dire need was. This time around, the resource led issues are causing problems in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland (mostly) and it would make sense that those provinces get an unbalanced share of whatever stimulus money is used/invested.

If these ridership numbers are remotely accurate, than Smart Track offers more bang for the buck than any planned transit line, other than the DRL. Begs the question, have they missed something or did the planners?

It's always been incredibly stupid that GO scarcely bothers with serving the 416 while running dozens of trains through our neighbourhoods. Good to see ST at least prioritizing 416 ridership. If it's pulled off, ST will do more for the inner suburbs than any LRT or the DRL. And somewhat ironically, ST will boost demand for LRTs as all those riders will want a faster way to reach the ST stations.

From what I can tell, Weston sub can handle 5 minute frequencies after its 0.62 mile resignalling. Potential interferences with UPX would need to be worked out though, unless UPX is merged with SmartTrack somehow by then. Then it really is only Union station as well as Unionville that's the bottleneck.

They don't need large trains 24/7 at 5 minute, except for peak. It would not be economically prudent anyway. You can run shorter 150 meter trains, and there are bi-level EMUs available if the capacity is needed.

I see a potential bottleneck interspersing diesel trains (Kitchener, Unionville).

A) The double-tracking project to Markham limits diesel+electric interspersing, but if they electrify all the way to Stoufville, then they can simply short-turn the frequent trains, running the rest of the trains hourly to Stoufville. Basically, in other words, SmartTrack goes all the way to Stoufville hourly (with the rest of the trains short-turning)
Solution: Full electrification of Stoufville

B) Then if USRC is resignalled and using higher speed crossovers (up to 25mph) for a bit faster approach right before the edge of Union platforms, I think 5-minute frequencies is achievable with short-dwells and eliminating timetabled operation (just push the trains through as quickly as possible, allowing trains to leave a bit early/late to keep the next train closer to approximately 5 minute frequencies).
Solution: USRC resignalling, and possibly higher speed crossovers. Run subway-style dwelling at Union.

C) High platform stations, as a possibility of the high cost of SmartTrack. High platforms for specific tracks at Union, for faster level boarding -- this might explain part of the high cost of SmartTrack enhancements to GO RER. All new stations would be high platform (since more than half of "SmartTrack" route is new stations) with retrofitting ALL stations on Stoufville to high platforms (since low floor service could in theory be discontinued on Stoufville). If Kitchener diesel trains go express, then almost ALL stations to Brampton could become high platform only.
Solution: Eliminate diesel low floor service from almost all stations on the SmartTrack section of GO RER. This is done by electrifying all of Stoufville line (as mentioned above), as well as making Kitchener diesel hourly trains go express to the end of the SmartTrack route. Then we can convert almost all existing stations on the SmartTrack route to high platforms, and only build high platforms for the new stations. The classic Bombardier BiLevels could cease to stop at most stations on the SmartTrack route, as it becomes no longer necessary for them to do so.

D) Also necessary, is, you'd merge 4 routes into 2 (like LSW-LSE, the Kitchener-Stoufville becomes 1 route).
Solution: Make Bramalea-Stoufville into one through electric route. (with the exception of hourly all-the-way-to-Kitchener diesel trains) Short-turn where necessary, and that a single electric trainset is utilized for ALL services on Stoufville line, including hourly services all the way to the end of the Stoufville line.

People are asking why SmartTrack enhancements to GO RER costs so much, and I always viewed this as potentially because of retrofitting for high-platform operation for quick subway-style boarding with short-dwells and untimetabled operation (at least at peak), improved safety (including smoother snagless EMU trains).

Several lines in Europe/Japan can handle 3-minute headways with high speed trains, so some of the SmartTrack spending could be to make the corridor capable of 5-minute headways.

Last edited:
Yes.....just as the last time government intervened to save/create jobs an inordinate amount of money was spent saving jobs in central Canada (e.g. investing in and lending to the auto sector) because that was where the most dire need was. This time around, the resource led issues are causing problems in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland (mostly) and it would make sense that those provinces get an unbalanced share of whatever stimulus money is used/invested.

Not just that. The Liberals owe their majority to places like the Maritimes. There has to be payback. In Toronto, everyone knows the Liberals can take the 416 for granted. And that it's the 905 that swing votes. This makes GO electrification and some of those 905 LRTs actually more important (politically).

How can the DRL not be an option? Even under the most optimistic SmartTrack scenario presented today, the Yonge subway southbound will have higher ridership in 2031 with SmartTrack built than it hass now. Let alone 2041, or if they extend the Yonge subway further north.

If you believe the mayor, it's not an either/or proposition. He has claimed that planning work is proceeding on DRL right now. Whether or not that is true, or whether or not that planning work will just sit on a shelf, I can't say. Clearly, the only way the DRL is going to be built is if the city implements a sales tax or an income tax. There's no other source of funding large enough to pay for the DRL, and no other level of government is going to race in to build it.

Which adds more credence to why I think high platforms could become viable for GO RER in the specific "SmartTrack" enhanced section. Especially if this explains part of why the SmartTrack budget is so high.

Without catering to legacy GO trains, the new stations can be designed for quick level-boarding to achieve subway-style dwells.

I realize, not that everyone agrees on SmartTrack and what exactly it is, but the discussion of high platforms does not seem not totally ruled out (given its potential necessity to achieve 5-minute operation), and might end up becoming part of all of this. Speaking of which, related thread is Great Platform Height Debate, for readers not aware of it...

Last edited:
From what I can tell, Weston sub can handle 5 minute frequencies after its 0.62 mile resignalling. Potential interferences with UPX would need to be worked out though, unless UPX is merged with SmartTrack somehow by then. Then it really is only Union station as well as Unionville that's the bottleneck.

They don't need large trains 24/7 at 5 minute, except for peak. It would not be economically prudent anyway. You can run shorter 150 meter trains, and there are bi-level EMUs available if the capacity is needed.

I see a potential bottleneck interspersing diesel trains (Kitchener, Unionville).

A) The double-tracking project to Markham limits diesel+electric interspersing, but if they electrify all the way to Stoufville, then they can simply short-turn the frequent trains, running the rest of the trains hourly to Stoufville. Basically, in other words, SmartTrack goes all the way to Stoufville hourly (with the rest of the trains short-turning)
Solution: Full electrification of Stoufville

B) Then if USRC is resignalled and using higher speed crossovers (up to 25mph) for a bit faster approach right before the edge of Union platforms, I think 5-minute frequencies is achievable with short-dwells and eliminating timetabled operation (just push the trains through as quickly as possible, allowing trains to leave a bit early/late to keep the next train closer to approximately 5 minute frequencies).
Solution: USRC resignalling, and possibly higher speed crossovers. Run subway-style dwelling at Union.

C) High platform stations, as a possibility of the high cost of SmartTrack. High platforms for specific tracks at Union, for faster level boarding -- this might explain part of the high cost of SmartTrack enhancements to GO RER. All new stations would be high platform (since more than half of "SmartTrack" route is new stations) with retrofitting ALL stations on Stoufville to high platforms (since low floor service could in theory be discontinued on Stoufville). If Kitchener diesel trains go express, then almost ALL stations to Brampton could become high platform only.
Solution: Eliminate diesel low floor service from almost all stations on the SmartTrack section of GO RER. This is done by electrifying all of Stoufville line (as mentioned above), as well as making Kitchener diesel hourly trains go express to the end of the SmartTrack route. Then we can convert almost all existing stations on the SmartTrack route to high platforms, and only build high platforms for the new stations. The classic Bombardier BiLevels could cease to stop at most stations on the SmartTrack route, as it becomes no longer necessary for them to do so.

D) Also necessary, is, you'd merge 4 routes into 2 (like LSW-LSE, the Kitchener-Stoufville becomes 1 route).
Solution: Make Bramalea-Stoufville into one through electric route. (with the exception of hourly all-the-way-to-Kitchener diesel trains) Short-turn where necessary, and that a single electric trainset is utilized for ALL services on Stoufville line, including hourly services all the way to the end of the Stoufville line.

People are asking why SmartTrack enhancements to GO RER costs so much, and I always viewed this as potentially because of retrofitting for high-platform operation for quick subway-style boarding with short-dwells and untimetabled operation (at least at peak), improved safety (including smoother snagless EMU trains).

Several lines in Europe/Japan can handle 3-minute headways with high speed trains, so some of the SmartTrack spending could be to make the corridor capable of 5-minute headways.

Really, I still hope that one day in the next few years Metrolinx will just give up on UPX and merge it with SmartTrack. The track and extension is already there. There are concerns about the train size, maybe modify the 3 car sets to hold more passengers? Kennedy to Pearson Airport every 10 minutes or so will be good and probably the cheapest option. Knowing the government, it will take them a few years to admit UPX is not very cost-effective (need to save face), but SmartTrack won't be built in a few years anyways.

Back