News   Jul 19, 2024
 570     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.6K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 867     2 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Or whether that is even a good direction, just to make one line fit within the TTC fare structure.

Imagine how many people would return to their cars instead of taking the bus/subway if the TTC fare went up.
I doubt most people would flock to their cars. The cost of driving + parking downtown would be more than the TTC even if they doubled fares today.

You are conflating two issues (zoned fare and fare integration) - they are separate. If it is perceived that everyone riding the TTC has to pay more just so that SmartTrack users pay less, that will also be political suicide.

EDIT: And now its clear same fare isn't even on the table.

I think the statement is being misunderstood.

He supports fare integration. He made that clear several times throughout the news conference. He is pushing for a regional fare structure. Sounds like using zones and paying by distance no matter what form of transit you decide to use.

You are conflating two issues (zoned fare and fare integration) - they are separate. If it is perceived that everyone riding the TTC has to pay more just so that SmartTrack users pay less, that will also be political suicide.

That can be easily avoided by having the new fare structure in place before SmartTrack opens. Pretty easily suicide to avoid...

Sorry, I meant Tory will no longer confirm ST is TTC fare.

From Oliver Moore:
Tory won't "speculate" on whether ongoing fare integration process will result in ppl riding ST paying more than current TTC fare. #topoli

The question is - do you think zoned fare can get rolled out before SmartTrack? I bet not. Its an even bigger political hot potato.

I think the statement is being misunderstood.

He supports fare integration. He made that clear several times throughout the news conference. He is pushing for a regional fare structure. Sounds like using zones and paying by distance no matter what form of transit you decide to use.

We need to be careful with our language here, just so we know everyone is talking about the same thing.

Everywhere in the GTHA has some form of "fare integration". Him supporting fare integration isn't really saying anything.

The question is whether or not ST will be based on a TTC fare structure, or if ST will have a surcharge. Per Moore's tweet, it appears that he's backing away from his old position of TTC fares without surcharge.

Sorry, I meant Tory will no longer confirm ST is TTC fare.

From Oliver Moore:
Tory won't "speculate" on whether ongoing fare integration process will result in ppl riding ST paying more than current TTC fare. #topoli

Wow... talk about people reading into his words too much. All he was saying is it might not be CURRENT TTC fare, knowing that today's TTC fare and fare structure can change. He repeatedly said the goal and all talks to date have been to use the same fare as the TTC. Nothing in the news conference even suggested that would not be the case.

The spin doctors are out in full force today!

Everywhere in the GTHA has some form of "fare integration". Him supporting fare integration isn't really saying anything.

What do you mean by this? Certainly there is no fare integration between GO and TTC today, with the exception of the experiment to charge an extra $60 on a metropass to integrate at Danforth GO station. This attracted something like 150 riders.

What do you mean by this? Certainly there is no fare integration between GO and TTC today, with the exception of the experiment to charge an extra $60 on a metropass to integrate at Danforth GO station. This attracted something like 150 riders.

That is what I had in mind when I mentioned fare integration. The integration is still integration, even if not particularly effective :)

I just paid the TTC fare of $5.80 to ride the TTC 143 bus (well, a Metropass + $2.90). SmartTrack can charge $5.80 AND charge TTC fares.

Wow... talk about people reading into his words too much. All he was saying is it might not be CURRENT TTC fare, knowing that today's TTC fare and fare structure can change. He repeatedly said the goal and all talks to date have been to use the same fare as the TTC. Nothing in the news conference even suggested that would not be the case.
The spin doctors are out in full force today!

The public in general doesn't care whether a fare is integrated or not - what they care about is the overall cost.

AoD

The public in general doesn't care whether a fare is integrated or not - what they care about is the overall cost.

AoD

Yes, and they can rest assured that they will be paying what they pay for the TTC at the time of Smart Track's opening. It may be $4 cash fare by then, it may be $1.80 for Mt. Dennis to Union, $3.00 from Mt. Dennis to Kennedy. All he is saying is the TTC's fare structure will apply to Smart Track. He just doesn't want to speculate on what that fare structure will look like in the future.

If anything, the conference was the first time Tory has acknowledged that there are talks to move to a regional fare system. It could be fare by distance, zones, or the status quo. He mentioned that once Presto is fully implemented across the TTC, it will be time to explore those other options. That news alone is huge!

Back