News   Jul 15, 2024
 246     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Simcoe St. Underpass & Extension

this thing is really behind schedule, haha. such is the case with most construction though, especially when governments are involved.

The public demands the lowest bidder is used then the public gets annoyed when the lowest bidder does a lowest bidder type job.

Always found that amusing myself.

Opening this could impact traffic flow in the core - I say it's too risky! It's just going to make it more attractive for people living in Infinity to buy a car! Where are the HOV lanes? I heard they're selling this tunnel to a Spanish consortium! Simcoe should be one way southbound on holidays, and one way westbound at tea time! I wish this road had been a couple storeys taller - it looks stubby! This road's just like every other boxy road in Toronto! Can't they get someone other than Clewes to design roads? They sure cheaped out on the asphalt, I thought the first rendering showed carnelian onyx? Adam Vaughan is trying to shut down this road. When my property tax bill comes in for 2009 if I find that the Millerites have been driving their limos back and forth on Simcoe prematurely wearing out this road, I'm going to write to the Toronto Sun.

Burrrrrrrrrrrp.

Sorry.

lol too funny.

But seriously what's taking this project so long?

If the Dufferin Jog fixing has these kinds of delays...oh right, it already has, but I mean when they're actually building the damn thing lol.

it's really unfortunate how much toronto's winters slow down any form of construction. perhaps not so much for towers, but its a shame to see construction workers fighting the cold, or not working at all because of it.

Landscaping is the number one winter casualty. It's nearly impossible to do that sort of work properly in subzero temperatures. I doubt this thing will be open before July.

very sad. think of how fast the cityplace park would be completed if it weren't for this blasted snow!

I walked under this overpass just before Christmas, it seemed pretty much complete other than the road surface. Even the sidewalks under the bridge were done.

I walked under this overpass just before Christmas, it seemed pretty much complete other than the road surface. Even the sidewalks under the bridge were done.

They were pouring a couple of weeks before year end which is odd, considering the city doesn't want to see this as it will cost more problems down the road.

I never expected to see this road open until spring 2009. There still work taking place at Front and that section still has to be rebuilt.

The white stuff and cold are not great friends to do work for.

Had a looked today and it will be summer before the road is open.

The east side sidewalk is wider than the west.

There will be 2 lanes going south and one lane north based on the placement of the center divider.

Now the waterline is completed to Front St, that section between Front St and the underpass can be rebuilt.

Still sidewalk to be done on the south end to connect to the existing ones.

People will do anything to find free parking by tearing down the fencing and park on the sidewalk to get to the car show.

Today.

3334023035_9603e326cb_b.jpg

3334855944_4596c01973_b.jpg

It looks like that they are just waiting for the asphalt.

They still have more concrete work to do from the rail line to Front but with warmer weather coming (we hope!) that should not take too long and you are right that under the rail line and to the south of it pretty much all that needs to be done is the asphalt.

This project is going to open on the 20th anniversary of the first time it appeared as a budget item!

I remember reading the line-item Simcoe St. Underpass listed at 1988 to begin construction, hmm, in about 1986/87.

IT was supposed to be complete, according the budget by 1990!
:rolleyes:

Well they started a decade and 1/2 late, and took even longer to build it.

But bless them! Its almost done...... 20 years later!

How time flies.

:D

has anyone walked around here lately? i assume the paving should be finished soon if not already.

Back