1.2K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 566     0 

Simcoe St. Underpass & Extension

J

Jarrek

Just wondering if there are any plans on completing this?

It would be great if this project was pedestrian only. Toronto lacks pedestrian only streets and I'm sure this could be a hit with the walkup crowds to the dome.

From what I've been told, every year it's on the books, and every year it gets deferred due to budget constraints.

I think the skywalk and John Street pedestrian bridge serves Skydome traffic pretty well. It will, however be a good project for connecting the urban fabric.

e: Simcoe St. Underpass & Extension

I was walking down on Bremner Blvd., last week, and there is a sign that they will be starting in August. It's not an official sign, rather some people are trying to capture all of the stray cats that live there!

It looks like a pretty easy fix, considering the tunnel appears to have been built then filled with soil.

Re: e: Simcoe St. Underpass & Extension

t looks like a pretty easy fix, considering the tunnel appears to have been built then filled with soil.

There's got to be more to it than that. Why would they build the tunnel just to fill it back in?

Just the south portal exists - it's not going to be an easy or cheap tunnel to build, hence all the delays. It would be great if they do start scooping it out in August - that could possibly give us a completed connection late 2007. I imagine the city wants to have it finished prior to the RBC Dexia building completion further north on that street. Maybe Cadillac Fairview's development charges will be helping to pay for it?

It will be interesting to see how the additon of that access changes traffic patterns in the core.

Add to that Telus, ACC and Infinity to the south adding traffic. This extension is going to be much needed very soon.

Simcoe - Lower Simcoe Connection.

The excavation of the Simcoe Street tunnel (south of Front) is well underway (basically digging all the fill out of the new bridge that was built.

They're estimating 18 months to 2 years and we'll have a great new connection to Bremner.... given what is happening in the neighbourhood south of Front (Infinity X 3, Maple Leaf Square, Telus etc.) I wonder if Simcoe will remain one way south of the tracks.

Great to see this going ahead! Thanks for the post.

I believe the (very short) block from Station Street up the hill to Front is two directions, as is Lower Simcoe. That's not to say that traffic restrictions won't change at all with the closure of the gap.

Excellent news. Great to see some infrastructure improvement in the area - not just private development.

I am not familiar with this project. Can someone possibly post a pic or two- or a link to show what or this project is about..

Thanks...
p5

Not to worry- just checked it out and now i understand what it is..

p5

just noticed this today and was even going to make a thread about it

Also looks like a big parking lot is going in on the vacant lot (part of the conservatory group lands) to the west of Maple Leaf Square

Interesting. I didn't know they were planning on connecting the two. Lower Simcoe is two-way, correct?

Also, in the same area, I was walking down there a couple of weekends ago and noticed a signs mentioning zoning changes that wanted to be made to 20 York and 7 Station Street. Does anyone have any details on this projects? There was this page I found www.urbandb.com/canada/on.../20_york/, but I can't figure out from the rendering where exactly that suppose to be. Does it straddle the skywalk and tracks, or close the skywalk and fit into that smallish space on Front?

The city of Toronto seems to call it a SIGNATURE site: www.toronto.ca/economic-d...f/C-09.pdf

Greg

"Does it straddle the skywalk and tracks, or close the skywalk and fit into that smallish space on Front?"

replaces the western half of the skywalk and pretty much turns that part of station street into an underpass

Back