News   Jul 09, 2024
 170     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 471     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.2K     7 

Should the Toronto Islands be kept as-is?

A cricket pitch on the island is a great idea. A variety of entertainment options is key to a healthy, vibrant, and attractive image for the Toronto islands. Monopolies on island use, such as the food and beverage contract, or limited facilities, will keep the islands in their current sad and neglected state, and stunt future growth. There is enormous potential on our doorstep and we should snatch it.

That article mentioned the ferry service as a hindrance to a cricket stadium, which seems silly to me. If Cricket Canada managed to build a stadium, and schedule some exciting matches there, the resulting demand for ferry service will enable the Toronto Ferry Services to increase supply. This would have a spin-off effect of benefiting other island visitors.

Last edited:
I was at the Islands yesterday with visiting family and they loved it.

It's actually a very beautiful escape and it has a little something for everyone. Centreville is fantastic for families.

I agree some things could be spruced up, but overall we're quite lucky to have the Islands.

Hopefully they open up things to competition when it comes to improvements.

Overall though, the improvements needed are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. The Islands are pretty great right now.

I love the idea of perhaps 2 or 3 independant B&Bs or small hotels (like the original Guild Inn), combined with one or two more real restaurants, on the Ward's Island side, perhaps one near Hanlan's Point, where the ferries are not overloaded like they are to Centre Island. The Rectory Cafe is about it for real food. I wouldn't want to commercialize it much more than that.

Hanlan's Point should otherwise remain as is. Ward's should be as it is as well, but with some accomodations.

There's no need for an observation tower, the views are great as they are. Though Centreville would be the best place for Doug Ford's ferris wheel, it can't hurt to have an "all ages" attraction for that otherwise kiddie park.

Good suggestions, I agree.

A cricket pitch on the island is a great idea. A variety of entertainment options is key to a healthy, vibrant, and attractive image for the Toronto islands. Monopolies on island use, such as the food and beverage contract, or limited facilities, will keep the islands in their current sad and neglected state, and stunt future growth. There is enormous potential on our doorstep and we should snatch it.

That article mentioned the ferry service as a hindrance to a cricket stadium, which seems silly to me. If Cricket Canada managed to build a stadium, and schedule some exciting matches there, the resulting demand for ferry service will enable the Toronto Ferry Services to increase supply. This would have a spin-off effect of benefiting other island visitors.

Precisely the point. Improving the islands increases revenues and allows more to be done.

^^ Island residents would never allow this...

If you are referring to the Cricket Ground the concept has received favorable support when we spoke to the residents. They are more concerned with Beasely closing the farm in the winter time than a facility a couple miles away at the other end of the island. As part of the process FOTI has been engaging the residents including consulting with them (to a certain degree) on the efforts to save the farm from becoming a seasonal attraction.

I went to the island this week and it was great. There was a frosh party going on and Centreville was packed with kids. I loved it.

However, a few shortcomings that I and my guest noticed were the shores. The shore facing the harbour was gross in both appearance and in odour. Mountains of sludge and garbage were washing ashore. The beach near the pier on the north shore was full of garbage and the sand was unpleasant to walk in because of all the rocks. Both spots could be nice little beaches if they were cleaned up regularly. Given the packed ferry, and the amount of people out enjoying the island, I think the City dropped the ball here. The shores need to be better maintained.

WATERFRONToronto should be given jurisdiction over Centre Island. It is as much a part of Toronto's waterfront as the parts they're working on now. I'd like to see a fixed pedestrian link easily accessible from downtown so that Centre Island can fulfill its potential as "Toronto's Central Park".

Last edited:
I second the idea of fixed links to the Islands. A pair of well designed pedestrian / biking bridges on either side. The Islands could then be like Toronto's Stanley Park or Central Park. The link to the Portlands would be short and (yachter's aside) a great way to enhance both areas. The Island airport is the problem on the other end - maybe if there was a way to skirt the airport along the shoreline to get to Hanlan's point. That said, we are not talking massive expenditures here.

I went to the island this week and it was great. There was a frosh party going on and Centreville was packed with kids. I loved it.

However, a few shortcomings that I and my guest noticed were the shores. The shore facing the harbour was gross in both appearance and in odour. Mountains of sludge and garbage were washing ashore. The beach near the pier on the north shore was full of garbage and the sand was unpleasant to walk in because of all the rocks. Both spots could be nice little beaches if they were cleaned up regularly. Given the packed ferry, and the amount of people out enjoying the island, I think the City dropped the ball here. The shores need to be better maintained.

WATERFRONToronto should be given jurisdiction over Centre Island. It is as much a part of Toronto's waterfront as the parts they're working on now. I'd like to see a fixed pedestrian link easily accessible from downtown so that Centre Island can fulfill its potential as "Toronto's Central Park".

They usually clean up that beach so I'm surprised !

Did you find where the relocated the maze ?

I think central island is still fairly charming, even in the current condition, I don't think it requires huge improvements to be honest ...

I wasn't a big fan of centerville because that along with Ontario place cater to families with Yonge kids only and not many else (though I still do like that sky ride at centerville to be honest :) ), but now that Ontario place will hopefully be put to better year round use for everyone, this is a great park for kids ... if anything grow it a little.

And of course more food variety would be great.

The north half of Hanlan's Point was (is?) like that too. Three summers in a row it looked like a couple of garbage trucks had dumped their load off shore along with dead fish & birds. Each time I had to come home because all my dog wanted to do is dig and rifle through that great smelling mess. I sent several messages the first two summers to Councillor Pam McConnell with photos attached, never heard anything. After the third year I've never been back to Hanlan's, I take my dog swimming at Cherry Beach instead. Prior, since I started going there in the early 80's, the whole length of beach was always perfectly clean.

I'm curious to see what I'm told is the largest beach on the island, but that it is the nude beach. I'm not interested in seeing a bunch of old saggy bodies. Why is this beach reserved for such a small niche when all of Toronto could be enjoying it?

Back