News   Jul 17, 2024
 515     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 624     0 

Should the Toronto Islands be kept as-is?

Kinda figured that being a "living object" would figure in the maze's fate.

Oh, and re accomodation: is it possible for the Gibraltar Point Centre to offer hostel space of some sort or another?

Some good ideas here. Unfortunately, anything related to food and beverage, i.e. waterside restaurants, small hotels etc. won't be allowed happen if the city renews the food & beverage monopoly for another 10 years.

We are at a turning point for the Toronto Islands. The next ten years will be decided in the next few months.

I don't think anyone is happy with the current situation and yet it appears that the city is going to preserve the status quo by extending the food and beverage monopoly for another ten years!

Hopefully enough public pressure can be brought to bear on the politicians so that they will change course and open up the Islands to real competition.

Before the 1950's, there were hotels on the islands. However, to make the islands more "public oriented" the city had them removed. Sounds like bureaucrats knowing what is best for us... not.

Cricket Canada would like to build a cricket stadium on the island.

This has been an effort that was actually started by "Friends of Toronto Islands" and we had asked Cricket Canada if they were interested in sanctioning a simple pitch. When they told us they thought is would be a good idea for its national home the effort took on a whole new complexion.

The demographics for a downtown facility make a lot of sense, the island and city need the revenue, it's not a lot of parkland (less space than the RCYC uses), it would be a near "market value" lease rate (far more then the yacht clubs currently pay) and we are proposing to use that gopher hole ridden space beside the airport that really isn't suitable for much else than a flat field anyways... After all that Cricket Canada is a recognized international and nationally accredited amateur sporting organization.

If the City can give what is now BMO field to MLSE for a song (and they are a private entity) why can't they do something similar with less prime and accessible space for one of the national representative of world's fastest growing sport and one of significant heritage significance..?

Some good ideas here. Unfortunately, anything related to food and beverage, i.e. waterside restaurants, small hotels etc. won't be allowed happen if the city renews the food & beverage monopoly for another 10 years.

We are at a turning point for the Toronto Islands. The next ten years will be decided in the next few months.

I don't think anyone is happy with the current situation and yet it appears that the city is going to preserve the status quo by extending the food and beverage monopoly for another ten years!

Hopefully enough public pressure can be brought to bear on the politicians so that they will change course and open up the Islands to real competition.

TO my knowledge the RFP on the food rights and on the Amusement Park will be separated. There are also other mechanisms in the framework of the islands that allows for changes depending on the use of the lands that need concession services (ie - the yacht clubs can very easily offer public access to concession facilities on their own premises).

Not saying that this should be done, but could skyscrapers and other large towers be built on the island (from an engineering POV). I was just doing some thinking and well designed towers like the Burj Al Arab or Marina Bay Sands Singapore could (potentially) look beautiful on the island.

To be honest, the only part of the "Island" where such towers would be at all plausible is the part on the other side of the 1858 breach which created the Island in the first place, i.e. the Portlands...

Not saying that this should be done, but could skyscrapers and other large towers be built on the island (from an engineering POV).
From an engineering POV, the answer is almost always yes. It comes down to how deep the foundations would have to go, how you handle storm surges, and what it really comes down to is how much all that would cost.

[City official] Mr. Glenn said the point of exclusivity is to ensure “high quality and consistency” of food across the island. The competition, he said, is in the bidding process.

How ridiculous. Long term exclusive contracts do not ensure quality - the very opposite. And we don't want "consistency" - we want variety of food and services. Why does the city persist with this crazy strategy?

I have no problem with Beasley keeping the Centreville attraction. It does its job nicely and there's plenty of competition for kiddie attractions around the city. I just want to see variety for the rest of the food concessions. Overpriced Cardboard Cardboard and frozen patties shouldn't be the only options (apart from the Rectory Cafe) for food. Competition there would certainly guarantee “high quality and consistency of food across the island”, as you vote with your wallet.

I have no problem with Beasley keeping the Centreville attraction. It does its job nicely and there's plenty of competition for kiddie attractions around the city. I just want to see variety for the rest of the food concessions. Overpriced Cardboard Cardboard and frozen patties shouldn't be the only options (apart from the Rectory Cafe) for food. Competition there would certainly guarantee “high quality and consistency of food across the islandâ€, as you vote with your wallet.

I would not have a problem with them continuing to run their little amusement park just don't let them have a near monopoly for all the food and beverage on the Islands. Without this monopoly I doubt however that Beasley could afford to run the amusement park.

It really boils down to the following question. Should visitors to Toronto Islands be forced to pay ridiculously high prices for extremely poor quality food (they have been cited many times for health violations) in order to keep Centreville, a relic from the past, in operation? I don't think so. I don't have kids but if I did I would be taking them to Canada's wonderland not wasting my time and money on this third rate amusement park.

In the NP article Beasley says he doesn't believe that the city should have issued a request for proposals because they are "his rides" and "his concept" at Centreville.

The City should make him an offer. He can continue to operate his amusement park but starting next year he loses his exclusive food and beverage contract. Starting next year the city should open up the Islands to wide-open competition.

Back