2.6K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 686     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Should Canada keep the Monarchy?

Should Canada keep the Monarchy?

• Total voters
So are we gonna see the Queen sitting on the throne? Chuck Berry's gonna flip. (And no, I don't mean the bloke what designed the Palace of Westminster)

I have not voted on this thread as I am not Canadian. I will however give you my thoughts on Royalty. They are all a bunch of money grabbing, snotty parasites. They are all the same no matter what member of the royal family you look at. They still have their flag waving supporters though, you know the die hard royalists that are blind to their greed and arrogance. Although when you travel more North from London their popularity is a lot less. By the time you get to Scotland.....well I am sure that we would vote to get rid of them. To be fair the Queen does her job well but, just look at what is coming behind her. King Charles, Queen Camilla.......argh!!! And they never apologised for drawing and quartering Mel Gibson.

ditch it

i indian do i have to say more y i hate brit monarchy les see?

slavery, robbery, colony, rape, messin it up, look at it now used to be up there before colonization
yall want proof?

http://india_resource.tripod.com/colonial.html

so we was basically screwed hard.

k people say south asia was never united before. it cuz it almost impossible with 1652 dialects & 2000 ethnic groups no doubt more b4 you really cant have one unifying kingdom. can you have 1 kingdom in africa which only more diverse place? no. so really no good. all happened? system still der in india. upper classes lyk braminh trying 2 keep everyone else down. study show braminh more mid eastern while rest of pop more related to african yall see a pattern? really rule transfer

Turf 'em

I've heard all the excuses, and none of them have won my heart over to the monarchist camp.

1. "It's our heritage" - no, it's British heritage

2. "It's what distinguishes us from Americans" - no, if that's what you think really separates us from them, then you have a piss-poor idea of what a Canadian really is. Besides, if we insist on distinguishing ourselves from Americans based on meaningless trivialities, we might as well do something totally useful, like converting entirely to the metric system, etc.

3. "Keeping them saves a few bucks. The Queen is free" This is the worst one. This is the part of the Canadian psyche I don't like: when we think of money before substance. The price tag doesn't matter, what matters is the ability to unleash ourselves from years of cultural servitude. Even if you think it's benign and harmless, I have to stare at the Queen's mug everyday on my twenty dollar bills and coins reminding myself that we are still not entirely masters of our own house.

Sorry, but I have very strong views about this issue.

I agree. Perhaps, more than anything else, -- and rarely if ever mentioned -- putting money ahead of substance is, what defines the Canadians.

^Really? I assume you share and exemplify this point of view?

I hate how multiculturalist hypocrites tell the visible minorities to preserve their ethnocentric cultural heritages while at the same time proclaiming proudly that they are just as Canadian as everyone else, then turn around and say that Canada is a country of British heritage.

I don't see how they can use their logic to claim that an Anglo-Canadian and a non-white Vietnamese-Canadian are equally Canadian when they tie their country's identity to a specific foreign country -- England, rather than an identity forged indigenously here in Canada.

I hate how multiculturalist hypocrites tell the visible minorities to preserve their ethnocentric cultural heritages while at the same time proclaiming proudly that they are just as Canadian as everyone else, then turn around and say that Canada is a country of British heritage.

I don't see how they can use their logic to claim that an Anglo-Canadian and a non-white Vietnamese-Canadian are equally Canadian when they tie their country's identity to a specific foreign country -- England, rather than an identity forged indigenously here in Canada.

Wow, you've just set up the most amazing strawman that I could have ever imagined.

It's a valid point. I'm a British-born caucasian immigrant and very much value and appreciate the British history of this country. If I was from Vietnam, I'd likely think this place's history has little to do with me.

I hate how multiculturalist hypocrites tell the visible minorities to preserve their ethnocentric cultural heritages

Actually, the multiculturalism policy still applies to all ethnic groups -- it hasn't been rewritten to whitewash the apparently-invisible ones quite yet.

Back