462     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 443     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 479     0 

Shopsy's ordered to quit Front Street

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/556741

Court orders Shopsy's to give up its corner

Landmark deli must move from Yonge and Front after losing battle with 'upper end' competitor
December 20, 2008
Tracey Tyler
LEGAL AFFAIRS REPORTER

It's been a Front St. landmark for more than 25 years, but someday soon, Shopsy's delicatessen will be nothing more than chopped liver.

A ruling yesterday by the Ontario Court of Appeal requires Shopsy's to leave its location at the northeast corner of Front and Yonge Sts., but its owners hope to reopen elsewhere in the downtown core.

"We're working with the landlord on a solution that could involve us moving into another attractive location," said Gavin Quinn, spokesperson for the Irish Pub Development Corp., which owns Shopsy's and the Irish Embassy Pub.

"We wouldn't want to venture more than a block and a half away," Quinn said, adding while yesterday's ruling requires Shopsy's to get out by Dec. 31, his company and the landlord, Great West Life Realty Advisors Inc., "have sort of agreed to an extension" until a new home is found.

Moving in to replace Shopsy's will be a new Oliver and Bonacini restaurant, the latest venture by Toronto restaurateur Peter Oliver and chef Michael Bonacini.

At "the upper end of the casual dining market," it likely won't open until late next year, said Oliver, whose company also owns Biff's Bistro, next to Shopsy's, as well as the restaurants Jump and Canoe.

Irish Pub, which also runs several downtown restaurants, bought Shopsy's in 2006, hoping to extend the lease, which expires this New Year's Eve. Oliver Bonacini had first rights to take over if it wasn't renewed.

In November 2006, the landlords signed a lease agreement with Oliver Bonacini. Shopsy's owners went to court, arguing they entered into a binding contract to extend the lease when the landlord sent them a document in July 2006 that spelled out some terms of a new agreement, including higher rent.

In writing for the court yesterday, Justice Eleanore Cronk said there was ample evidence, including in emails between Irish Pub officials and the landlord, that no such agreement had been reached.

Meanwhile, Shopsy's hopes to replicate the fanfare that accompanied its first move, from its original location on Spadina Ave. in 1983, Quinn said.

The restaurant is named after Harry and Jenny Shopsowitz, who opened an ice-cream parlour below their apartment in the garment district in 1921. Their sons Sam and Izzy built the business into a deli.

Good old school food here at Shopsys. I think they do well with the theatre crowd. My client entertaining expenses have dropped in the last few years as visiting American clients ask to be taken to places such as Harvey's, Shopsy's and Swiss Chalet for lunch. Harvey's is huge with some Americans; there is nothing like it south of Fort Erie. :)

I suppose I could understand Swiss Chalet, but Harvey's surprises me. They don't have any of the smaller 'boutique' burger joints there? They seem pretty prevalent in Southern Ontario.

... but Harvey's surprises me. They don't have any of the smaller 'boutique' burger joints there? They seem pretty prevalent in Southern Ontario.

It surprises me too. I only guess that in the USA outside of larger cities chain restaurant burgers are the only choice - so for a large number of Americans, coming to Canada and having a Harveys is a rare treat.

Another thing - the Harveys burger taste and texture - I've never come across anything close, but that's just my own experience.

Red Robin is a gourmet burger chain that's national (and some in Western Canada). Fuddrucker's is a specialty chain too.

Gimme In-N-Out. I think I had it four times in California last year, and look forward to having another one or two visits in February.

That, and Carl's Jr., are probably the two principal "homegrown Harveys proxies" out there...

Back