News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Shops at Don Mills (redevelopment, Giannone Petricone/Pellow + Associates )

Increased urban density and traffic

I am an original resident, we moved in on Hurricane Hazel Day in 1954, if anyone can remember that. I've see it all happen, the re-invention of the Don Mills Centre. It all looks nice and pretty on the drawing board but I could do without the two 32 storey appartment buildings and all the other condo's that are going up. Now along with out-of-place-oversized homes in our neighbourhood, we'll have higher population density, more traffic and an outdoor mall which noboy wanted especially the seniors of this area. And nobody knows what shops are coming back and how much more we'll be paying for all this wonderfulness. Canada's original planned community is certainly not being very well planned when they stick codos and apppartments in every vacant nook and cranny they can find. I can see 75 The Donway West from my house. Now I'll have the 32 storey Twin Towers blocking out the morning sun. I'm sure it will be a wonderful place for all those new residents when they move in! All we'll need now is a theme park and it will be complete!

I know, I know I live up the street. (@ York Mills)

But does anyone have any pictures of this one?

Last time I was in the hood' it was still a demolition site.

Being a closeted fashionista, I was on the Coach website (http://www.coach.com/storelocator/storeresults.aspx?mode=3&country=CA&countryname=Canada) and noticed that a Coach Store will be opening October 2008 at Don Mills. I wonder what other 'upscale' stores will open?

I wish they would put at least a couple levels of housing above the shops :( That would have made for an interesting development.

According to that Square One will be getting a Coach on August 22. Looking at the Square One floor plan (http://www.oxfordproperties.com/leasing/LoImages/rfp/29810_RFP.pdf), it appears to be right at Centre Court replacing Rodeo Jewellers and Gala Gifts.

Oh, he's completely right...the problem is so much of the neighbourhood has been changed that there's no point in stopping now.

I was wondering around that new SmartCentre on Eglinton in Scarberia recently. It's a disaster ... to get to Walmart, to some of the other stores, you virtually have to walk back through the parking lot. There's even grass (not shovelled!) in the way, where you need to walk across in places. And the entrances seem to be on the back. It's crazy, I could have hit the side of the building with a baseball (well, if my arm was any good), and it's clearly part of the same complex ... but it looks like it's designed to drive from store to store - in the same parking lot??? Smart Centre? And I was driving!! I can't imagine what would happen if you were walking.

If this is what Don Mills Centre ends up like, I'll be quite unhappy. (though these are the same people behind the Walmart on Eastern Avenue - should be run out of town on a rail after they disaster they've built on Eglinton)

"You ever walk up Yonge Street, or Bloor, or Queen?"

thats what I tell people.. did winter not exisit pre-malls and cars???

Shopping outside!! What crazy ideas will those sun-spoiled Californians try to force on us next?

Where's the Don Mills LRT connection?

Why are there parking lots next to Don Mills, which where the Don Mills LRT is to go? Shouldn't the building be placed so that access to and from the LRT is made easier?
Another "improvement" that is auto-oriented, when it should be transit-oriented.
Make it people friendly.

Back