News   May 10, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Shops at Don Mills (redevelopment, Giannone Petricone/Pellow + Associates )

That's a big step forward from the Turner Fleischer plan. Phew.

I do like the new plan better. To be fair, much of the original Don Mills in the Peanut was gone anyways before this razing and starting from scratch. Though, when you see crisp bXw photos of the original plaza, it is to cry.

To be fair, much of the original Don Mills in the Peanut

Maybe there's something peanut-like about the Donway, but because we universally think of the Peanut in terms of north of Sheppard, the reference is misleading.

Still, I agree about this being an improvement, and a rather surprising one--presumably they heeded the criticism from planners, modern-heritage types, Dave LeBlanc etc...

Maybe there's something peanut-like about the Donway, but because we universally think of the Peanut in terms of north of Sheppard, the reference is misleading.

I think more of an oval-shape specifically for DMC. The 'Peanut' area north of Sheppard's commonly referred to as Skymark or Newnham.

Wasn't Don Mills Centre originally an outdoor mall anyways?

Yes it was originally an open mall. And yes people managed in the winter. But things have changed in Don Mills since. The population has a larger percentage of seniors than 40 years ago. There at least 5 seniors buidings in the area. And one attraction for a enclosed mall was a place for seniors to walk for exercise during inclement weather and easy access to all the stores. I feel sorry for any senior who relies soley on the Don Mills Centre for all their shopping needs. Especially having to shop for food at Domion which is drastacally overpriced compared to the Superstore at Wynnford and Don Mills. eg. Dominion house brand pop - $1.50 Loblaws SS - $.99. The rest of the stores were overpriced too and 25% vacant at one point largely due to the rent. And with these new 'up-scale' shops moving in you can bet it anin't going to be cheap to shop there, especially if you're a senior.

Don't know if this was posted yet. From Turner Fleischer Architects

Don-MillsRCSS426.jpg

Looks nice on paper and I'm sure nice for summer. '....and overhead fluttering in the breeze, the flag of the Federation.' - Cmdr. Kruge, Star Trek III: The Search For Spoch

I hear more of "the Peanut" than either of those. Or, perhaps, Oriole or Fairview...

Many communities spot Don Mills Road at any specific point. From York Mills to Finch alone you've got Lesmill, Graydon Hall, Henry Farm, Fairview and Skymark. Oriole's more like the Leslie/Sheppard neighbourhood. This 'Peanut' idea does have a ring to it though ;).

GAPLApeanut3.jpg

Don-MillsRCSS426.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Looks nice on paper and I'm sure nice for summer. '....and overhead fluttering in the breeze, the flag of the Federation.' - Cmdr. Kruge, Star Trek III: The Search For Spoch

This is NOT WHAT'S GETTING BUILT!!!! This picture will be removed from any further posts in this thread.

Let me repost what Boris posted after the last time that pic was put up here:

Actually, instead of old proposal plans it is far better to go to the actual web site and see what the plan is.
In there you can see 3d walktrough as well as pdf of frontages and proposal for residential part.

http://www.shopsatdonmills.ca/tourist/index.ch2

As a resident of Donway West, this is in my opinion way much better than old mall with dollar shops and fast food outlets.

Read the thread!

cranky 42

Found this posted on the McNally Robinson website:

The Toronto store is an anchor tenant in a new style of shopping mall developers call a "lifestyle centre". Built as outdoor streetscapes with parking surrounding the development and substantial onsite condominium developments, lifestyle centres create a natural urban mix of large and small stores, grassy areas, bicycle stands, window shopping and automobile access.

Clearly lifestyle centres feel much more organic than the artificial enclosures of indoor regional shopping centres and they have been wildly successful in California and other parts of the United States, but the question is: will Torontonians endure exposure to the weather? We shall see.

Grand opening for the new Shops of Don Mills is slated for October 1. The outdoor skating rink opens soon thereafter and hot chocolate will be available at Prairie Ink Restaurant.

http://www.mcnallyrobinson.com/articles-newsletter/18/Store-News

With the skating rink it looks as though they are putting some thought into creating an outdoor environment that will still draw customers in winter

I`m suprised there haven`t been any updates for several months....

anyhow, the opening is scheduled for April 8, 2009....

http://www.shopsatdonmills.ca/dyn2/index.ch2

Construction

Our buildings are substantially complete, with retail store construction now underway inside.

The new four-level parking garage, located at the north-west corner of our site,will be complete on Feb. 1/09. The landscaping will be completed prior to our opening in April.

here are some pics from their website (july 08)

SADM_Construction_photos_july_08_003.jpg

SADM_Construction_photos_july_08_005.jpg

SADM_Construction_photos_july_08_002.jpg

SADM_Construction_photos_july_08_001.jpg

Stores

We’re pleased to announce that some stores and services will open in advance of our Grand Opening.

Jack Astor’s
Now Open

We are so pleased to welcome back Jack Astor's restaurant to the Shops at Don Mills. They look forward to seeing their regulars from the past and making new ones. Come check them out - its a brand new restaurant, bigger and better, with 106 flat screen TV's and a menu filled with the best burgers and steaks, fresh salads, authentic dishes from around the world and Jack Astor's famous fresh-never-frozen chicken fingers. Visit them at jackastors.com to check out their menu and the parties and promotions happening every week. Where it's not just a meal, it's an event!

LCBO
Opening Feburary 5th, 2009!

mcewan
Opening Spring 2009

Metro
Our popular Dominion store has been redesigned and rebranded "Metro" to enhance your grocery experience. The new store showcases a wide selection of fresh produce, meats, baked goods and groceries.

TD Bank
Now Open

From gourmet bistros to the latest fashions, the Shops at Don Mills will spoil you for choice. Keep checking back for the latest additions to our retail family.

Back