News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 653     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Who switches to a bus that travels in the same direction ?
Line 2 riders at Kipling taking MiWay? Line 2 riders at Kennedy traveling east along Eglinton/Kingston? Line 1 riders at Downsview going along Dufferin Street? Future line 2 riders in Scarborough heading further east into deep Scarborough? Future line 4 riders in Scarborough heading further east into deep Scarborough? Future Ontario line riders heading further north along Don Mills Road?

A linear transfer almost always occurs at the subway terminus. The question is where to place the terminus.

Anyway, right now it seems there is a > 50% chance that the Sheppard subway extension will be funded by the Province. If that's the case, so be it. In transit planning, usually there is no perfect solution that suites everyone, but there are more than one acceptable solutions.

Should the Sheppard subway funding fall apart for whatever reason - Doug Ford feels he can no longer afford it, or demands a federal contribution that never comes - then it will be time to look for cheaper options. Either LRT or BRT.

Incidentally, we should have the Finch LRT stats by that time, and thus it will be known whether the actual TTC's light rail lives up to Transit City promises (15-20% faster than the mixed-traffic bus, and lower operating costs due to one driver transporting a greater number of riders).

Line 2 riders at Kipling taking MiWay? Line 2 riders at Kennedy traveling east along Eglinton/Kingston? Line 1 riders at Downsview going along Dufferin Street? Future line 2 riders in Scarborough heading further east into deep Scarborough? Future line 4 riders in Scarborough heading further east into deep Scarborough? Future Ontario line riders heading further north along Don Mills Road?
Well the first one is crossing municipalities, that's understandable to me....
The city is in the planning stages of the EELRT to solve that issue
I'm not familiar with downsview & Dufferin area
Again, the EELRT will solve that one
The Ontario line north extension would solve that as well.
A linear connection makes very little sense & in most cases the city is trying to rectify that.

Well the first one is crossing municipalities, that's understandable to me....
To you, and to me, but not to most people in the forum.

The city is in the planning stages of the EELRT to solve that issue
I'm not familiar with downsview & Dufferin area
Again, the EELRT will solve that one
The Ontario line north extension would solve that as well.
A linear connection makes very little sense & in most cases the city is trying to rectify that.
I'm a little confused by what is your main thesis in this posting. The EELRT will not actually eliminate a linear transfer, it will just change the type of the linear transfer from bus based to streetcar based.

Linear transfers are an unavoidable fact of life. The only thing to debate about is at what location you institute them. At some point or another, all rail lines end and people will have to transfer to another form of transportation. The EELRT, for example, will not eliminate linear transfers for anyone: if you are coming by way of line 2 or 5, you will have to change to line 7. Not to mention travellers that currently use the 57, or the 86, or the 116 along Guildwood Parkway, or north of Sheppard, for whom the LRT will have extremely limited, if any, utility. The same goes for the north extension of the OL.

To you, and to me, but not to most people in the forum.

I'm a little confused by what is your main thesis in this posting. The EELRT will not actually eliminate a linear transfer, it will just change the type of the linear transfer from bus based to streetcar based.

Linear transfers are an unavoidable fact of life. The only thing to debate about is at what location you institute them. At some point or another, all rail lines end and people will have to transfer to another form of transportation. The EELRT, for example, will not eliminate linear transfers for anyone: if you are coming by way of line 2 or 5, you will have to change to line 7. Not to mention travellers that currently use the 57, or the 86, or the 116 along Guildwood Parkway, or north of Sheppard, for whom the LRT will have extremely limited, if any, utility. The same goes for the north extension of the OL.
My initial statement was a linear transfer from a bus to another form a rapid transit. That makes little sense, and it appears the city is trying to rectify that. Ofcourse Busses & subways/let stops go hand in hand, that's partly why our busy network is so strong, they feed into Rapid transit stations

PP may be inclined to provide funding to contested seats such as North York, Mississauga/Milton. I think the days of conservatives being dogmatically opposed to transit are behind us, and it is now acknowledged across the political spectrum that transit is an important piece of the congestion puzzle.
Pre-Trudeau era, a much larger percentage of the infrastructure pie went to roads. The Feds regularly contributed to provincial roads projects - projects like the Dixie Road Interchange replacement on the QEW are still funded from Harper-era federal funding contributions for example - I imagine a Federal Conservative government would return closer to that ratio for new funding announcements - which means that even if total spending remained flat, transit spending would decrease.
An interesting recent quote by Pierre Poilievre on the new tramway proposal by CDPQ in Quebec. Translated from French by Google Translate.
As Prime Minister, I will not invest a cent of federal money in a tramway project in Quebec.

Trudeau and the Bloc are obsessed with the car war and ignore people in the suburbs and regions.

Common sense Conservatives will continue to respect Quebec motorists by supporting a third link for cars.

An interesting recent quote by Pierre Poilievre on the new tramway proposal by CDPQ in Quebec. Translated from French by Google Translate.

I don't find this at all surprising. I find it rather surprising that Doug has shown himself not to be entirely anti-transit, and that people expected this to be a reflection on conservatives as a whole.

I don't find this at all surprising. I find it rather surprising that Doug has shown himself not to be entirely anti-transit, and that people expected this to be a reflection on conservatives as a whole.
They are different types of conservatives. Dougie is more of a progressive conservative than PP is. My hope is a Harper style PP when it comes to transit if (when) PP becomes PM.

That message won't go across well in the 905. And PP can pander to rural Quebec City conservatives, but his government is going to be made in the 905.

Tweets like this are why I’m super skeptical about the next tranche of transit projects coming to fruition any time soon. It’s gonna be a transit desert for a long while after next year.

Back