News   Jun 20, 2024
 416     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 610     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

That would be a huge waste of money.

Alas, we shall be saddled with Mel Lastman's abortion of a transit line for the rest of time. We should seek to spend as little on it as we can possibly get away with, and job number 1 would be to avoid changing the specifications of the rolling stock for any reason.

Alas, we shall be saddled with Mel Lastman's abortion of a transit line for the rest of time. We should seek to spend as little on it as we can possibly get away with, and job number 1 would be to avoid changing the specifications of the rolling stock for any reason.
If we spend a little on it as possible, I don't know what we build east of Don Mills then.

Well, that's why i favour the LRT option. As far as I'm concerned, the argument that we've already built the line, let's extend it out is just a great example of the sunk cost fallacy. Once the OL northern extension reaches Don Mills then the concerns about linear transfers will be severely scaled back too.

But if we must extend this white elephant further, it should be with TTC stock. The cost of redesigning the platforms, signalling system, building a new yard, and severing the extant connections to the system would surely far and away outstrip any cost savings that would come from buying smaller off the shelf stock.

While there's a lot of debate about changing from subway to LRT, I wonder if swapping to the narrower Ontario Line trains could be an option?

I would imagine that the big cost issues here would be regauging the tracks + existing signalling/electronics (is it compatible with automated trains) + the need for a new yard vs just extending the line with the current TTC trains.

My fear of the OL is that it may become like the SRT due to the difference in rolling stock. My hope is that they have learned from the SRT.

My fear of the OL is that it may become like the SRT due to the difference in rolling stock. My hope is that they have learned from the SRT.
??????

What part of the SRT's story do you think will be repeated in the Ontario line's story? The proprietary technology that didn't seem to work when it was too hot or snowy? The sketchy alignment through the industrial heartland of Scarborough? The fact that it was never extended anywhere useful and became a glorified Scarborough Town Centre shuttle?

There are no lessons to be learned from the SRT, except for the maintenance department.

I swear we've had this discussion before. The SRT wasn't bad because it used different vehicles from the rest of the system, it was bad because it used weirdly proprietary vehicles that didn't work well in the Toronto weather as @T3G said, but also it was a tiny stub line that required a linear transfer, and the TTC basically didn't bother doing any maintenance on it.

The Canada Line in Vancouver also uses different rolling stock from the rest of the Skytrain Network (which by the way, uses the same technology as the SRT), and it works perfectly fine without any major issues.

While there's a lot of debate about changing from subway to LRT, I wonder if swapping to the narrower Ontario Line trains could be an option?

I would imagine that the big cost issues here would be regauging the tracks + existing signalling/electronics (is it compatible with automated trains) + the need for a new yard vs just extending the line with the current TTC trains.

I'd like to see that option explored. Switching from one type of high-flloor trains to another type of high-floor shouldn't cost too much. There will be some up-front costs, but then the cost of expanding the line both east and west will be lower. And, a longer line will get more riders.

Unfortunately, the above is not likely to happen. The current round of expansion will be cheaper if the rolling stock type doesn't change. And then once it becomes a TTC subway from Sheppard West all the way to McCowan, changing the rolling stock will be too costly and out of question.

As little as possible is .. BRT.
As little as possible would be to do nothing and keep the 85 running as-is.

I would say yes, because the LRT would have a large cost to build, but the bus wouldn't, roads are already there. And the benefit that the LRT would provide compared to having a bus lane with less stops is marginal at best, so yeah, I'd say changing from subway to buses is okay in the case of Sheppard. Though, I'd prefer a subway extension to McCowan or STC.
Yeah, that's the thing about any LRT in this city. That said, Eglinton and Finch, if they open this year/decade might change the calculus, if operations are excellent. LOL.

Well, that's why i favour the LRT option. As far as I'm concerned, the argument that we've already built the line, let's extend it out is just a great example of the sunk cost fallacy. Once the OL northern extension reaches Don Mills then the concerns about linear transfers will be severely scaled back too.

-snip-
It's about crosstown travel that linear transfers will be a concern. Depending on a number of operational decisions regarding Sheppard West, which will not get built as LRT, it might force two transfers to continue in the same direction. Remember, the 84 terminates aimlessly west of Jane.

There simply will not be another rail alternative that allows suburb-to-suburb travel this far north again in Toronto. The York Sub is not an option, because CN will not agree to transit use on it ("here's the deal when we gave you Lakeshore ..."), and 407 is still light on destinations and too far north for Durham Region and City of Toronto travelers.

The cost/benefit envelope of LRT might change if we get construction costs under control. I do not believe that a $2 billion Sheppard East LRT (at $250 million/km, line with EELRT's estimated costs) would provide the ridership you'd want for such an investment. This could change if our construction costs go down.

Then again, if we get costs down, the business case of a subway improves as well.

I swear we've had this discussion before. The SRT wasn't bad because it used different vehicles from the rest of the system, it was bad because it used weirdly proprietary vehicles that didn't work well in the Toronto weather as @T3G said, but also it was a tiny stub line that required a linear transfer, and the TTC basically didn't bother doing any maintenance on it.

The Canada Line in Vancouver also uses different rolling stock from the rest of the Skytrain Network (which by the way, uses the same technology as the SRT), and it works perfectly fine without any major issues.
We love going in circles, and circles, and circles ...
Circle of UT.png

I'd like to see that option explored. Switching from one type of high-flloor vehicle to another type of high-floor shouldn't cost too much. There will be some up-front costs, but then the cost of expanding the line both east and west will be lower. And, a longer line will get more riders.

Unfortunately, the above is not likely to happen. The current round of expansion will be cheaper if the rolling stock type doesn't change. And then once it becomes a TTC subway from Sheppard West all the way to McCowan, changing the rollinbg stock will be too costly and out of question.
I said this a month ago about a conversion:
The larger cost wouldn't be the price of conversion, it would be the disruption to riders.
I don't know what the exact cost calculation of a conversion would be, but with the -ahem- fiscal imprudence of our governments in transit (and a whole lotta other things), I don't think they'd go for a conversion even if it would be cheaper overall (with tighter curves and smaller stations).

??????

What part of the SRT's story do you think will be repeated in the Ontario line's story? The proprietary technology that didn't seem to work when it was too hot or snowy? The sketchy alignment through the industrial heartland of Scarborough? The fact that it was never extended anywhere useful and became a glorified Scarborough Town Centre shuttle?

There are no lessons to be learned from the SRT, except for the maintenance department.

Simply that for some reason, the fact that it was not the same technology as the other subway lines seemed to cause it to fail sooner. This is not about whether one was an inferior or superior design, but how somehow one was always in worse shape than the other.

I doubt any politician is seriously going to suggest that the tracks in the tunnel be ripped up and a new tech be put in. The question is if an extension is approved, how far will the existing subway technology be extended. It may be decided that it stays how long it is and an LRT comes to Leslie station.

Consultation docs are up here. They are proposing a mixed-grade subway (underground and elevated) and four route options. Some highlights below.

View attachment 573203
View attachment 573205
View attachment 573206
View attachment 573208
View attachment 573210

View attachment 573212
The majority of people are going to be torn between 2a, and 2b. I do find it interesting though, that they chose to include a brimely/sheppard station over a station on birchmount.

Back