News   Jul 19, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 788     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Yes I did. That's twice you've essentially called me a liar today. I don't appreciate it.

Where is there any evidence the city would vote for a Sheppard East subway? The two councilors who spearheaded the move from LRT to B-D subway certainly don't support that. What other key councilors do?
Did you, then why did you ask? Where's the proof those councilliors don't support, especially since De Baremaker support the SRT and then changed his mind.,

It's appeasement through politics.

And no, planning is not an inherently political exercise. Planning CAN be political, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

Everything is political. Get used to it.
Ultimately it doesn't have to be, but it because we refuse to take the politicans out of it. Metrolinx was not give the power it was supposed to have. We shouldn't get used to everything being political because that's how we ended up with Rob.

When will the contracts be tendered for SELRT? it's my understanding that it's happening rather shortly.
Construction beings 2017, I think.

Last edited:
Did you, then why did you ask? Where's the proof those councilliors don't support, especially since De Baremaker support the SRT and then changed his mind.,
I didn't ask about Brad Duguid first, you did.
Did you know Brad Duguid and Scarborough Liberal Caucus support the subway?

The proof? No one has talked about a Sheppard subway recently and we just happen to be in an election campaign. Not De Bearemaeker, not Kelly, not Stintz, not Soknacki, not Chow, not Tory, heck, not even the Fords. De Bearemaker and Stintz were working on B-D for over a year before it got to Council. Where is your proof that anyone on City Council is working on Sheppard?

The proof? No one has talked about a Sheppard subway recently and we just happen to be in an election campaign. Not De Bearemaeker, not Kelly, not Stintz, not Soknacki, not Chow, not Tory, heck, not even the Fords. De Bearemaker and Stintz were working on B-D for over a year before it got to Council. Where is your proof that anyone on City Council is working on Sheppard?
Not true, Rob has mentioned Sheppard East this calendar year. I didn't say at all anywhere in my posts in the past three hours that specific city Councillors would be working on it. What I have said previously, and what the premise of the OP was, we could switch back if we got a mayoral candidate that was friendly to it. Looks like we don't have one.

If you want, you check Steve Munros blog where he specifically calls out the Scarborough Liberal Caucus, many times.

I'm done. Good Night.

Last edited:
This problem seems to plague LRT systems everywhere.

Automated elevated rail is much better than LRT, and in the case of the Canada Line is far cheaper than Eglinton.

I think we can all agree that even a trained monkey could have done a better job planning the ECLRT than what was finally settled on.

But we can also agree that the #1 priority of transit is to satisfy a political need. Now that the Liberals are in charge again, we can be assured that they will again prioritize their political preferences and put moving people far down the list.

Burloak, how long until you stop complaining about Eglinton? it isn't going to change. the contract for it will be issued in a month or two, and there will be no going back. Its over. stop bringing it up.

I am agreeing with you. It will not be changed. And I didn't bring it up.

But we all know the 3 years of delays and the possible spending of an additional $1.5B (or cancelling the B-D extension and suffering even more delays) are all the results of the design of Eglinton.

And who would you say has lived up to that promise so far? In my opinion Soknacki and Stintz have been unequivocal, while Chow and Tory haven't.

If we were using a ranked ballot then Soknacki would be my first choice. I won't be able to vote for him unless he starts polling better than Ford though.

I have issues with Stintz, specifically her treatment of the additional money sent to TTC by council to boost service.

Last edited:
I think we can all agree that even a trained monkey could have done a better job planning the ECLRT than what was finally settled on.

But we can also agree that the #1 priority of transit is to satisfy a political need. Now that the Liberals are in charge again, we can be assured that they will again prioritize their political preferences and put moving people far down the list.

Actually I don't - I don't know of any trained money who can do transit planning, perhaps you can show us? And as I have illustrated, you are comparable apples to oranges with the CL example. Just because transit planning is a political activity doesn't mean it isn't there to satisfy a real need - let's not pretend the current arrangement is some disaster in the making. It isn't. And in case you want to lay it all on the Liberals, you should remind me which party in the last election suggest going back to SRT as LRT? Or on that matter, which party suggest elevating ECLRT and connecting it to SRT? And let's go back a little further and discuss how Sheppard was prioritized over Eglinton - it would seem that its been a political game for awhile, and no party can claim innocence in it.

AoD

Last edited:

Please don't claim that everyone agrees with you. Many people clearly don't.

Burloak, how long until you stop complaining about Eglinton? it isn't going to change. the contract for it will be issued in a month or two, and there will be no going back. Its over. stop bringing it up.

After the 2020's when the line is open he will stand outside the stations convincing people not to use it and convincing them how terrible it is :p. And in the decades beyond when we all travel by aerial drones powered by renewable energy, rendering public transit obsolete, and the Maple Leafs are on a 10 year Stanley Cup winning streak, BurlOak will still bring up how it should've been elevated every few months on this forum.

ehlow:

I have no issue with seeing merit in elevating the eastern portion of the line in the future - but really, does the current scheme close that possibility off? No. Does Toronto has a history of converting at grade transit into grade separated ones? Yes. I'd rather get the critical underground segment built, and have the line up and running - and would be overjoyed if at the end of the day we need to consider grade separation because the line would have served its' purpose.

Anyways, this really should be in the EC thread.

AoD

The RFQ is scheduled to be issued Summer 2015, and the RFP in Winter 2016 (6 months later) according to the latest schedule from Infrastructure Ontario. Compare to the Finch LRT dates of Spring 2014 and Fall 2014 for the RFQ and RFP and January 2013 and December 2013 for the Eglinton LRT RFQ (which should be awarded late this year).

Ahh yes. I got the dates for SELRT and FWLRT confused. Thanks for that nfitz.

When will the contracts be tendered for SELRT? it's my understanding that it's happening rather shortly.

The RFQ is scheduled to be issued Summer 2015, and the RFP in Winter 2016 (6 months later) according to the latest schedule from Infrastructure Ontario. Compare to the Finch LRT dates of Spring 2014 and Fall 2014 for the RFQ and RFP and January 2013 and December 2013 for the Eglinton LRT RFQ (which should be awarded late this year).

Should we see some announcements or progress for Finch soon?

We've been speculating on that in the Finch LRT thread.

The same document nfitz linked too lists Spring 2014 as the date the RFQ will be issued. RFP in fall.

Back