News   Jun 27, 2024
 390     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 454     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Scarborough still trying to make STC a thing. They ran almost all their busses through there. Also for years we couldn’t build any density at Kennedy station because we were trying to prop up this mall. Now we’re talking about diverting a subway off a Main Street to continue that tradition. Great work.

As someone who lives east of McCowan on Lawrence, I still prefer the line to stay on McCowan, or the 2A route. It's 6 stops to get to STC with 1 transfer.
2b is still 6 stops with no transfer
2A has the provision to continue east along Sheppard with EELRT
Extending 2B becomes even more difficult
Why is extending 2B more difficult? It would be a natural upgrade when the time comes for the Durham BRT, serving UofT Scarborough campus, etc.

Why is extending 2B more difficult? It would be a natural upgrade when the time comes for the Durham BRT, serving UofT Scarborough campus, etc.
I'd have though 2B had more extension opportunities, given the SRT and rail corridors to get back to Markham and Sheppard and maybe into Malvern - and then also on to UTS if it's still around decades from now.

transferring once to go to STC is the status quo. transferring twice from scarborough east to remain on sheppard, isn't.

The Pop up posted by @Markster shows quite the opposite, people wanted option 3 as this would eliminate any transfer on sheppard as opposed to the current situation (1 transfer). Option 2a still keeps that status quo of 1 transfer for everyone east of Mccowan and eliminates transfers between kennedy and McCowan (both options elimate transfers between Kennedy and Don Mills, unless travelling east bound and planning to remian pn sheppard, where option 2a is yet again far superior ) Option 2B introduces an additional transfer as I have explained in my initial reply.

Essentially, option 2A keeps the status quo (but it improves the situation for people between Kennedy and McCowan by eliminating their transfer), and option 2B harms east and north scarborough in exchange of making it more convenient for North Yorkers to get to Scarborough town center. Seems very fair to me!
But this is the truth, this line was originally about NYCC and STC. It's only under the Ford Government that Sheppard/McCowan became a thing. I think 2A is better because they're already digging up to Sheppard on the Bloor Danforth, but if 2B gets a lot of votes at all three engagements...

I'd have though 2B had more extension opportunities, given the SRT and rail corridors to get back to Markham and Sheppard and maybe into Malvern - and then also on to UTS if it's still around decades from now.
Isn't STC station going to be on the right side of McCowan, the RT corridor is useless if I'm not mistaken, I'm unaware of where the rail corridors to get back to Markham, where is that located ? Extending a subway out to a Morningside seems hella expensive when an LRT will suffice & will be better for local Scarborough trips. An LRT that is in the planning stages already

Extending a subway out to a Morningside seems hella expensive when an LRT will suffice & will be better for local Scarborough trips. An LRT that is in the planning stages already
Is there any support for the LRT outside of political pandering? From my ancedotal experience, people either want to scrap the whole thing, convert to BRT, or extend the subway instead.

One thing I know for sure though, is that cost is not an argument you can make in support of that LRT as opposed to one of the other alternatives.

Is there any support for the LRT outside of political pandering? From my ancedotal experience, people either want to scrap the whole thing, convert to BRT, or extend the subway instead.
Could we not at least wait to see finch west open before declaring that no one wants LRTs.

The only people who are ok with nothing over LRT are people who don’t take transit.

Last edited:
The year sheppard finally makes it to the zoo will be the year Toronto realizes they can’t afford to keep it open.

Are there plans for it to stop at the zoo? A place open half the year? Maybe the EELRT should have a spur to it.

Yeah exactly, I totally agree. The West part is critical for both of those reasons.

Without explaining where the trains are going to be stored if you don't build the West extension (either first, at the same time, or at all), seems like a pretty big omission (and also an important thing for locals in the area to consider when voting for which option they prefer, would they still prefer Concept 1, Concept 3, or the Eastern leg being built first in the scenario of Concept 2, if it means a huge MSF being built somewhere near the line in Scarborough? Idk, but that information should be available for them to consider).

How many more trains are needed to run to STC? Could they not be stored in the tunnels? For actual maintenance, could they not be repositioned as needed?

Option 3 is popular because the infosession was at Sheppard/Markham. Option 3 is the only option that brings a subway station right to the community centre we were in, and everyone out there reasonably would prefer to ride a subway their whole trip instead of taking a bus first!

I think people overestimate STC as a destination for people out this way. Really people want to commute across to North York Centre, or downtown via Line 2. Also, Line 4 to STC doesn't really help you get to STC from here.

Some people may use the various ways to get downtown than to be squished like sardines on a singular line.

Scarborough still trying to make STC a thing. They ran almost all their busses through there. Also for years we couldn’t build any density at Kennedy station because we were trying to prop up this mall. Now we’re talking about diverting a subway off a Main Street to continue that tradition. Great work.

Like it or not, STC has become a thing.

Are there plans for it to stop at the zoo? A place open half the year? Maybe the EELRT should have a spur to it.

How many more trains are needed to run to STC? Could they not be stored in the tunnels? For actual maintenance, could they not be repositioned as needed?

Some people may use the various ways to get downtown than to be squished like sardines on a singular line.

Like it or not, STC has become a thing.
I grew up in Scarborough and it definitely was not a thing. It was an annoying thing the ttc made us pass through.

It is not a coincidence that STC is the same distance from downtown as MCC, has the same transit hub and spoke approach yet STC has substantially less residents. At least they had a direct RT to the subway Which is more than MCC could boast yet a fraction of the people who want to live there. Like it or not It’s absolutely not a thing.

Last edited:
Thinking more on the area, what about a combination of 2A and 2B The subway follows 2B with the EELRT following 2A? This could allow the subway to connect to the college and MTC.

I grew up in Scarborough and it definitely was not a thing. It was an annoying thing the ttc made us pass through.
What decade did you grow up in Scarborough?

One thing I know for sure though, is that cost is not an argument you can make in support of that LRT as opposed to one of the other alternatives.
Where is the political pandering for LRT? I haven't seen any politician voice support for LRT over subways since the debate about the SSE was concluded. That would require some of these people to be in some way pragmatic, and we don't have people like that. It is the incessant push for subways subways subways that is the political pandering.

Where is the political pandering for LRT? I haven't seen any politician voice support for LRT over subways since the debate about the SSE was concluded. That would require some of these people to be in some way pragmatic, and we don't have people like that. It is the incessant push for subways subways subways that is the political pandering.
That’s like asking why a teenager isn’t asking for a Corolla when they have their parents in the Ferrari dealership.

Back