News   Jun 25, 2024
 254     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 880     2 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 536     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

If we were to elevate the extension eastward, we wouldn't be able to being the elevation until Victoria Park.
There's no way we could elevate over the 404. Especially with the extension beginning at Don Mills, which is underground.

This is correct.

From Victoria Park to McCowan, we're talking about a distance of 5.4km. The line would have to go back underground at McCowan to meet up with the Scarborough extension, yeah?

In theory, you could have it meet the SSE from above; however, the SSE station as designed, presumes an underground connection, that is correct.

So we're talking about constructing an elevated portion that's probably only going to be about 4km long.

In option 1 or 2A, yes, that is likely the cap, and I'm not sure its that high.

There a lot of challenges to being above-grade on portions of Sheppard between VP and McCowan. There's generally ample room for a corridor, but stations are a much larger footprint and would generally need to be off to the side of the road, rather than in the middle.

Its not impossible by any means, but not as easy as some might think, there's both existing and proposed/zoned for development in the way at points.

What's the point?....

The point, in theory, is that it can be done more cheaply and more quickly than tunnel.

But that is only true up to a point, land on the surface is expensive to acquire and mitigation is also an issue. Another consideration is the level of disruption during construction.

But I think regardless of what happens, condos will still come full force at sheppard and McCowan, that intersection is inevitable
I think it's not only inevitable, but also logical. Such an improvement in transit would make it a great place for rentals, too.

Don't think the area would face nearly as much NIMBY resistance as other parts of the city that will have rapid transit.

someone want to fill me in as to why the detour south the stc is a good idea? isnt it much simpler to just go straight down sheppard? The whole of the stc is already being served by SSE is it not?

Pleasing some people aside (for whom STC is a destination or the hub for a bus route they want to access)..... the argument for heading south is about extending east of McCowan (at some point), the desired destinations and available ROW.

In option 1 or 2A, yes, that is likely the cap, and I'm not sure its that high.

There a lot of challenges to being above-grade on portions of Sheppard between VP and McCowan. There's generally ample room for a corridor, but stations are a much larger footprint and would generally need to be off to the side of the road, rather than in the middle.

Its not impossible by any means, but not as easy as some might think, there's both existing and proposed/zoned for development in the way at points.
Such a short distance being elevated. I can't imagine we're saving much money, if any at all. Elevating this stretch would have made more sense had the Sheppard line been constructed as an elevated line.

someone want to fill me in as to why the detour south the stc is a good idea? isnt it much simpler to just go straight down sheppard? The whole of the stc is already being served by SSE is it not?
It's a hub where many different TTC and GO buses are and of course it has a major mall, "plans" for more density. That's really the main short term reasons to consider heading south.

No.

The thin line is the existing Sheppard subway.

It will not be above ground in the west end at all. * (except, maybe when crossing the valley)

Nor would it be above ground west of Victoria Park in any scenario.

One could debate......under options 2A, and 3 where elevated grade may begin, or may not.........

Option 2B would almost certainly be above grade where it would follow the existing SRT ROW, and on to Centennial College as there is no case for it being underground at that point. East there of......could involve some very animated conversation.

I think long while ago during the Transit City era, wasn't there a proposal to extension the Sheppard subway to consumers and build a station so that it would allow easier transfers to the sheppard lrt? I would assume the lrt portal would be a little east of consumers. Maybe perhaps this wasn't feasible?

I think long while ago during the Transit City era, wasn't there a proposal to extension the Sheppard subway to consumers and build a station so that it would allow easier transfers to the sheppard lrt? I would assume the lrt portal would be a little east of consumers.

Correct.

Maybe perhaps this wasn't feasible?

If, Sheppard were elevated east of Victoria Park, you have to realize that unlike LRT, elevated is not at-grade, its above the road, a much bigger change in height.

You can't be 1/2 way up at the intersection of VP/Sheppard. Its all or nothing.

There is insufficient room for that transition to the west of VP.

Note that I am not suggesting any elevation will begin east of VP, only that west of VP is not plausible.

Consultation docs are up here. They are proposing a mixed-grade subway (underground and elevated) and four route options. Some highlights below.

View attachment 573203
View attachment 573205
View attachment 573206
View attachment 573208
View attachment 573210

View attachment 573212
Elevated... Subway? Not a massive single bore tunnel with 4 story deep stations?

... Wait, this does not compute.

Is... is the Ontario government building this... in a reasonable manner?

I... I can't believe this... I...

faints

2A or 2B. Don't care, just dew it.

screenshot-2024-06-17-at-12-05-53-png.573208
giphy.webp

It's a hub where many different TTC and GO buses are and of course it has a major mall, "plans" for more density. That's really the main short term reasons to consider heading south.
Then i question whats the point of the sheppard station on the line 2 extension. isnt the whole point of it that you can transfer between 2 and 4?

Back